BEST ANNOTATED GAME COMPETITION

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
Mike Truran

BEST ANNOTATED GAME COMPETITION

Post by Mike Truran » Wed May 30, 2012 12:11 pm

The 4NCL will be offering three prizes of £50 each for the best annotated games from the 4NCL 2011/2012 season, and we should be glad to receive entries for this competition.

Anyone wishing to enter a game should bear the following in mind:

1. Please submit entries by the end of July 2012.

2. Entries will be judged not only on the standards of the play exhibited, but on the level of insight, relevance, possibly humour etc. demonstrated by the annotations.

3. It is not necessary for the annotator to have been one of the participants in the game, simply that the game needs to have been played in the 4NCL during 2011/2012.

4. Entries should be sent in PGN or Chessbase format please to the 4NCL webmaster Steve Connor ([email protected]) and to Paul Littlewood ([email protected]) who has kindly agreed to act as judge for the competition.

Mike

Christopher Kreuzer

Re: BEST ANNOTATED GAME COMPETITION

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed May 30, 2012 6:34 pm

In another thread, I suggested a group annotation. I don't suppose it would be accepted for this competition (sharing the prize fund might be difficult, unless it was donated to Carl), but would anyone here be interested in trying as a group to annotate games from the 4NCL? To start with, it shouldn't really be games that others are intending to submit (though maybe that would still work), so I was thinking of posting up one of my games here and seeing if as a group it would be possible to annotate it. Or others could suggest other games from the just-finished 4NCL season.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Wed May 30, 2012 6:53 pm

If you submitted a finished product as a group I don't see why we wouldn't accept it. We would probably pay any prize to whoever actually submitted it - how it was divided up would be down to the submitter.

Tryfon Gavriel

Post by Tryfon Gavriel » Wed May 30, 2012 6:56 pm

Are Youtube video annotations acceptable - and they can have PGN associated with them in the description?! I have already done a few from the most recent weekend

Best wishes
Tryfon
Webmaster, http://www.chessworld.net/chessclubs/as ... ?from=1053
Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/kingscrusher
Host of Kingscrusher's weekly radio show on Playchess.com : "Kingscrusher's radio show"

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed May 30, 2012 6:57 pm

Thanks, Mike. Now I guess it is a question of waiting to see if anyone else is up for this (I should add that the game I might post would only be a trial run, to see whether group annotation can work, the quality isn't really good enough, mainly because I mess up the finish).

If anyone is up for this, I'd suggest naming potential games here, but posting the moves without comment in a new thread, then linking from here to the new thread, and from the new thread back to here. And then hoping that someone will actually start the annotation in the new thread (and not here, as that would confuse everyone)...

EDIT: Oh, and obviously someone would have to tidy up the annotations at the end, gathering them together and sifting out the good stuff and discarding the not so good stuff. Might work, might not (doing it on a wiki would be better, obviously, but doing it as threaded discussion might just about work). Could be interesting.
Last edited by Christopher Kreuzer on Wed May 30, 2012 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Wed May 30, 2012 7:03 pm

Are Youtube video annotations acceptable - and they can have PGN associated with them in the description?! I have already done a few from the most recent weekend
No reason why not. I think we've had that sort of format submitted before.

Johnathan Rothwell

Post by Johnathan Rothwell » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:47 pm

Hi All,

Sorry for dragging up an old thread but I thought it better than starting a new one.

I have recently been reading Alexander Kotov's 1980/81 book: Train Like a Grandmaster.
Within chapter six: Annotating Games; it mentions one soviet school method of improving a players game by entering annotating competitions, which were generally run by the magazines of the time (Shakhmaty v SSSR). This really interests me, and I wonder if anyone knows of such competitions? And if the 4NCL are running one for this season?

Thankyou,
Regards,
Johnathan.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:22 pm

Jonathan

In answer to your last question - I fear not. The number of entries received last time didn't really justify setting aside any prize money for this season.

Mike

Johnathan Rothwell

Post by Johnathan Rothwell » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:03 pm

Mike,

Thanks for the reply. I guess it doesn't interest many people, allied to the fact that anyone can copy/paste computer analysis and claim it as their own.

Perhaps Annotation Challenge, rather than Competition, would be better. No prizes etc but publication on the website, although this would still cost time and effort to run of course.

Regards,
Johnathan.

Greg Breed

Post by Greg Breed » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:33 am

Had I known about this I would probably already have won thanks to comments from David "Mosko" Moscovic.
Hatch End A Captain (Hillingdon League)
Controller (Hillingdon League)

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:10 am

I can provide you some "SHarks Prep video" in the car(last ncl saturday).... I was around 5 beers in at the time- to pre-warn.
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.