Final Scores

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
Joey Stewart

Final Scores

Post by Joey Stewart » Mon May 03, 2010 9:19 pm

So how did the final results work out over this weekends 4ncl? I know who went up from division 3 but the other two divs are still a mit of a mystery.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Alex Holowczak

Re: Final Scores

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon May 03, 2010 9:37 pm

I can maybe shed some light.

The winners were Wood Green Hilsmark Kingfisher 1, they beat Pride & Prejudice on Game Points.

Relevant to you, I believe Warwickshire Select 1 did enough to be promoted to Division 1.

Sambuca Sharks won Division 2, ahead of Cheddleton. I think the other promoted team were e2e4.org.uk 1.

Celtic Tigers 1, Bristol 1 and White Rose 2 were tied on 9 points in Division 2's relegation pool. From those teams, White Rose 2 (who led the Relegation Pool at the start of the weekend!) ended up getting relegated - as Jack suggested was a danger after the first two rounds! They may opt to enter the Northern League in 2010/2011, rather than join Division 3 proper - I don't know.

That's about all I can remember...

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Mon May 03, 2010 9:51 pm

Wood Green won on matchpoints!! P & P were second, overtaking Barbican (third) on the final day. Thanks to those on the other thread who congratulated us on our stunning victory over Pride and Prejudice. We did play for the title today for the first time, but it was too much to beat another team averaging well over 2500 again, and WG did not give us any easy chances.

South Wales Dragons, Jutes, Poisoned Pawns and Guildford 2 were demoted.

Sambucca are second division champions (well done, Ben) Cheddleton second, and if I have the tie breaks right, then of the three teams on 8/14, it was Warwickshire Select who finished third, e2e4.org.uk fourth and Barbican 4NCL Youth in fifth - not that the latter could have been promoted anyway.

Brown Jack, FCA and Guildford 3 were going down; not sure who the unlucky fourth was.

Edit: I reread Alex's post and see that it was White Rose 2.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon May 03, 2010 10:43 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:Wood Green won on matchpoints!!
Shows how much I was paying attention. :roll:

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Tue May 04, 2010 9:36 am

So if 3c's want to play in the northern league, will that mean that their promotion will be passed on to the team in 5th position as they are effectively leaving the 4ncl?

Also, would this apply to any other north based team (such as north west eagles) who leave the league - will their space be filled by promoting from the lower divisions or allowing a demoted team to ignore the relegation and stay up?
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Tue May 04, 2010 10:02 am

See rule 11.4. To be fair, if you can't be bothered to read the rules, I don't see why people should have to waste their time repeating them on the forum.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Tue May 04, 2010 10:06 am

Thanks Jonathan , well done on the 6-2, that was incredible result, let alone margin!. We won all 3 games 4.5 and never scored 5+ points all season , so was great to win division 2, which without sponsorship is the best we could ever hope for.

Maybe even more impressive was the 2nd team who won 2.5/3 matches to lose 1st on tie break. We had mid weekend drop outs etc Phil Makepeace played incredible.

My Sharks Season MVP goes to Ben Edgell who scored 2 wins 9 draws , 7 of which were with Black. When you can give a 2100 black V 2200 and know he probaly won't lose, makes a massive difference for both teams.

Kind regards

Ben
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Tue May 04, 2010 10:26 am

Why would 3Cs enter the northern league when we have just got promoted to the 2nd Division?

The whole point of entering the 4NCL is to pit yourself against the strongest players, personally this is why the northern league is a small side issue, and if Northern teams with any ambition should enter the normal 4NCL

Gareth Harley-Yeo

Post by Gareth Harley-Yeo » Tue May 04, 2010 10:29 am

Ben Purton wrote:Thanks Jonathan , well done on the 6-2, that was incredible result, let alone margin!. We won all 3 games 4.5 and never scored 5+ points all season , so was great to win division 2, which without sponsorship is the best we could ever hope for.

Maybe even more impressive was the 2nd team who won 2.5/3 matches to lose 1st on tie break. We had mid weekend drop outs etc Phil Makepeace played incredible.

My Sharks Season MVP goes to Ben Edgell who scored 2 wins 9 draws , 7 of which were with Black. When you can give a 2100 black V 2200 and know he probaly won't lose, makes a massive difference for both teams.

Kind regards

Ben
I'd also like to give some praise to Steven Cairns and Simon McCullough who really brought their game to the final weekend :!:

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue May 04, 2010 11:10 am

Alan Walton wrote: The whole point of entering the 4NCL is to pit yourself against the strongest players, personally this is why the northern league is a small side issue, and if Northern teams with any ambition should enter the normal 4NCL
I was under the impression that the Northern League also offered promotion to the 4NCL proper?

As far as I can see, there isn't a rule-set for the Northern League yet though, so this is speculation.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue May 04, 2010 11:33 am

Alex Holowczak wrote:I was under the impression that the Northern League also offered promotion to the 4NCL proper?

As far as I can see, there isn't a rule-set for the Northern League yet though, so this is speculation.
The division 3 table at http://www.bcfservices.org.uk/livechess ... 0/div3.htm shows 3Cs as promoted to the 8 board 4NCL division 2. Presumably 3Cs will accept this promotion.

Acording to this table, the promoted teams are

Rhyfelwyr Essyllwg
Sambuca Black Sheep
3Cs
Cambridge University 2

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue May 04, 2010 11:36 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote:I was under the impression that the Northern League also offered promotion to the 4NCL proper?

The division 3 table at http://www.bcfservices.org.uk/livechess ... 0/div3.htm shows 3Cs as promoted to the 8 board 4NCL division 2. Presumably 3Cs will accept this promotion.

Acording to this table, the promoted teams are

Rhyfelwyr Essyllwg
Sambuca Black Sheep
3Cs
Cambridge University 2
Yes, but:

I'm unsure whether the Northern League will become either:
a) the equivalent of Division Three North, offering promotion to Division Two, or
b) the equivalent of Division Four North, offering promotion to Division Three, or
c) a completely stand alone league.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Tue May 04, 2010 11:36 am

I would also like to draw some attention to bristol 3 who, despite being one of the lowest rated teams in the league, made a very creditable account of themselves and finished well ahead of the expected position.
Well done them!

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Tue May 04, 2010 11:42 am

Roger,

I think the plan is for 3Cs to definitely enter the second division.

Alex,

Personally, I can see the Northern League becoming more of a stand-alone league, unless you have a regional 3rd division system (i.e. Northern, Midlands, and South-East and South-West) with maybe the top two from each group playing off for the 4 promotion places similar to the current format of Divs 1&2

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Tue May 04, 2010 11:49 am

Alan Walton wrote:Roger,

I think the plan is for 3Cs to definitely enter the second division.

Alex,

Personally, I can see the Northern League becoming more of a stand-alone league, unless you have a regional 3rd division system (i.e. Northern, Midlands, and South-East and South-West) with maybe the top two from each group playing off for the 4 promotion places similar to the current format of Divs 1&2
My understanding is that the 4NCL(N) will only play seperately for Rounds 1-8. Rounds 9-11 will be played at Hinckley where Northern teams will carry forward their Northern points and play in Div3 proper for the last 3 rounds. There they could play any opponents (North or South) and will gain promotion as normal if they are in the top 4.