Live Final Weekend

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
James Coleman

Re: Live Final Weekend

Post by James Coleman » Wed May 05, 2010 9:48 pm

Someone told me John Naylor's phone went off apparently, though I wasn't actually in the same room at the time.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Wed May 05, 2010 10:08 pm

Yes. Apparently it was in fact the alarm on his phone - not so strange that it would have been set for 11.30 or so, because the game had started at 1pm on the previous day. So he had not actually left his phone on. Even so, John did not of course go running off to the nearest arbiter "to see what could be done" about the situation, unlike a GM participant of last year.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Wed May 05, 2010 10:35 pm

Did the master have any luck with his claim last year?
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed May 05, 2010 11:10 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:Yes. Apparently it was in fact the alarm on his phone - not so strange that it would have been set for 11.30 or so, because the game had started at 1pm on the previous day. So he had not actually left his phone on. Even so, John did not of course go running off to the nearest arbiter "to see what could be done" about the situation, unlike a GM participant of last year.
There was at least arguably a degree of ambiguity about the applicability of the Law in these circumstances last year. There isn't now (since 1st July 2009).

However, if (as you imply) John Naylor accepted his fate calmly and without fuss, then all credit to him.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu May 06, 2010 12:03 am

Jonathan Rogers wrote:Yes. Apparently it was in fact the alarm on his phone - not so strange that it would have been set for 11.30 or so, because the game had started at 1pm on the previous day. So he had not actually left his phone on. Even so, John did not of course go running off to the nearest arbiter "to see what could be done" about the situation, unlike a GM participant of last year.
You are correct. Peter Purland explained to me that his alarm went off, and he got defaulted.

John Naylor has a habit of bad punctuality. At the Warwickshire Championship, he was routinely 20 minutes late for his games. He still won it! Perhaps his general lack of punctuality prompted him to use the alarm in the first place (for Saturday's round).

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Thu May 06, 2010 12:12 am

John Naylor is a true gent and former shark!
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Thu May 06, 2010 11:28 pm

I am most looking forward to seeing him play for my county team this weekend. It should be a good opportunity for him to avenge his mobile phone loss and show people what he is really made of.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.