4NCL Rounds 7 & 8 round-up

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
LozCooper

4NCL Rounds 7 & 8 round-up

Post by LozCooper » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:50 pm

With apologies for any omissions and errors, I've tried to make sense of the weekend's results, the splitting of leagues after round 7 and the situation going into the final weekend. Please let me know of any errors and please refer to the league tables and results on the website if what I've said doesn't make much sense!!

4NCL 27-28 March Staverton Park
http://www.4ncl.co.uk/

The fourth weekend of the 4NCL is unlike any other. After seven rounds the top four teams in the two groups in Divisions 1 and 2 qualify for the championship and promotion pool respectively whilst the bottom four teams head into the demotion pool for the final four rounds. Therefore, in Division 1 we have eight teams playing for the league title and European places and eight teams fighting to avoid the four relegation places. In Division 2 we have eight teams fighting for four promotion places and eight teams battling it out to avoid being one of the four teams heading down into Division 3.

After the dust had settled on round 7 The ADs took the final place from Division 1A in the Championship pool. Despite being out rated against Cambridge David Anderton’s team managed a 4-4 draw with Ian Snape and Christopher Bellin securing valuable wins. This result was crucial as a match loss would have seen them edged out by Barbican 2 on game points who put up stubborn resistance in losing 2.5-5.5 to Pride and Prejudice. In particular, Angelica Ynojosa can be very pleased with her win as black against Elliot Auckland who is rated more than 250 points above her. The other team in contention were Oxford who suffered a surprise defeat to Guildford 2. On boards 1,2 and 4 Oxford’s 2200+ lost on all three boards Guildford 2’s 2000+. The ADs therefore join Wood Green, Pride and Prejudice and Cambridge in the Championship pool.

Division 1B was thankfully somewhat more straightforward. Betsson had to beat Wood Green 2 by 5.5-2.5 or more. As it turned out that was the score line but in Wood Green’s favour. Despite the match being close on rating Wood Green powered to four wins on the top six boards, three with the black pieces. They join Barbican, White Rose and Guildford in the Championship pool.

Division 2A had only one outstanding place to be decided. White Rose required a big win against Kings Head but lost 4.5-3.5. Kings Head therefore join Sambuca Sharks, Barbican Youth and AMCA Dragons in the promotion pool.

Division 2B was more complicated. Warwickshire Select were already guaranteed a place in the promotion pool whilst three out of four places were still up for grabs. As expected, Cheddleton overpowered Celtic Tigers, helped by the latter failing to field all eight players. E2E4.ORG.UK impressively powered to victory against Warwickshire winning four of the top six boards to qualify. This left Poisoned Pawns the opportunity to overtake Celtic Tigers by defeating Guildford 3, which they managed by winning 4.5-3.5.

Round 8 therefore was the start of the Championship, Demotion and Promotion Pools. Points scored against the other teams in your group carry forward so Wood Green and Pride and Prejudice were in pole position in the Championship Pool, a position they strengthened with 5.5-2.5 wins against Wood Green 2 and Guildford 1 respectively. P&P had the luxury of being able to select England’s number one male and female players and both Michael Adams and Harriet Hunt scored 2/2 over the weekend. In fact, Michael is now on 3/3 whilst Harriet is on 7.5/8! Barbican and White Rose also won to remain a point behind the two leaders whilst the other four teams appear to have little left to play for apart from pride and a mathematical chance of a European place.

The demotion pool of Division 1 sees 7 of the 8 teams still likely to be involved with the relegation battle. Betsson appear to be the only team that can approach the final weekend with little to fear. Barbican 2 and Pandora’s Box gained vital round 8 victories to move two points clear of the bottom four whilst South Wales Dragons defeated Guildford 2 to move ahead of Oxford on game points. Oxford now slip into the bottom four after the narrowest of defeats against Pandora’s Box who won the top three boards. Guildford 3 are a point behind whilst Jutes of Kent and Poisoned Pawns look like they need three wins out of three at the final weekend to have a chance of retaining their Division 1 status.

The Division 2 promotion pool sees Cheddleton and E2E4.ORG.UK leading by a point from Sambuca Sharks and Warwickshire Select. Barbican Youth are a point outside the promotion places but all the teams retain a mathematical chance of promotion although with the top three capable of reinforcing their teams it’s probably only Warwickshire Select who will consider themselves under any real threat.

The Division 2 demotion pool remains open although I expect Bristol and White Rose to stay up without problem whilst FCA Solutions will need three wins at the final weekend to have a chance of staying up.

Division 3 remains too close to call with the top four places now occupied by Warwickshire Select 2 on 13 points and Cambridge University 2, Rhyfelwyr Essyllwg and Sambuca Black Sheep ahead of KJCA Kings on game points all on 12 match points. The topsy turvy nature of the league is shown by the fact that the round 6 leaders 3Cs lost both matches to slip to eighth whilst Sussex Smart Controls started the weekend in the top four but slipped to seventh. Of those teams chasing the four promotion places, apart from the top five there are two teams on 11, three on 10 and three on 9 all of which have genuine chances of promotion whilst the 4 on 8 and 5 on 7 can’t be mathematically discounted just yet.

The final weekend takes place from 1st-3rd May and I urge anyone trying to make sense of the above to refer to the results and league tables on the website. Divisions 1 and 2 will be held at Sunningdale Park, Larch Avenue, Ascot, Berkshire, SL5 0QE whilst Division 3 will be held at Wokefield Park, Goodboys Lane, Mortimer , Reading, Berkshire, RG7 3AH.

Lawrence Cooper
Director of International Chess
English Chess Federation 29/03/10

IM Jack Rudd

Re: 4NCL Rounds 7 & 8 round-up

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:56 pm

2B was a crazy division. We finished 6th, but were closer in points total to the team that finished 1st than the team that finished 7th.

Paul McMahon

Post by Paul McMahon » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:56 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:2B was a crazy division. We finished 6th, but were closer in points total to the team that finished 1st than the team that finished 7th.
A very interesting and closely fought division that highlights some of the advantages of the split division format introduced last season. I like this system.

Although we made the promotion pool, other team results meant only one of our nine match points was carried forward. At least the possibility of our 2nd team being in a higher division than our 1st team, is now somewhat remote!

Paul McMahon
Poisoned Pawns II

James Pratt

Post by James Pratt » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:33 am

which Adams beat Cox in Rd. 1? Conflicting reports....

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:55 am

James Pratt wrote:which Adams beat Cox in Rd. 1? Conflicting reports....
It was Michael Adams

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:02 am

It was at the time (and still is...) available in the live games session, although the 14 moves still look more horrible every time you watch...
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:03 am

Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:12 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:It was at the time (and still is...) available in the live games session, although the 14 moves still look more horrible every time you watch...
Indeed - wow. Adams or no Adams, it isn't often a titled player gets splattered like that with White :shock:
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:46 pm

To be fair to my team-mate, John Cox, I am sure that he could have lasted a lot longer against Mickey. He tried to take a few pawns and tried to beat a 2700 rather than stodging it up and hoping for a draw. I guess we should commend him for his bravery (or should that be naivety?)

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:55 pm

Another game to look at: Daniel B Rosen (Poisoned Pawns 1) v David J Coleman (Barbican 4NCL 2). Rosen resigned in a completely drawn position, overlooking Ra1 as the way to save the draw.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:07 pm

The Sambuca Black Sheep bottom-boards line up in round 8 wasn't far short of Makington Coddpeace.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:58 pm

This joke is way above me......
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:56 pm

Coddington + Makepeace apparently = Coddpeace

This appears to be an erudite jest that will perhaps require an eclectic such as Simon Spivack to explain... Simon?

:?

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:10 am

Paul McKeown wrote:Coddington + Makepeace apparently = Coddpeace

This appears to be an erudite jest that will perhaps require an eclectic such as Simon Spivack to explain... Simon?

:?
OK, it was a rotton attempt at a joke.

Paul, your assumed addition wasn't quite correct.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:41 am

Angus,

Perhaps it's just a degree in chemistry makes me see such double displacement reactions, sorry!

:)

Paul.