Notts Results div 3 round 6

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
Mick Norris

Re: Notts Results div 3 round 6

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:48 am

Alex Holowczak wrote:Given this whole fuss was caused by a match between Nottinghamshire and Warwickshire (plus one other match), it was interesting to note that they met again yesterday in the County Championship.

Astonishingly, Nottinghamshire defaulted the match - scheduled to be held in Nottinghamshire - 16-0 according to the Warwickshire CA website. What happened? Nottinghamshire never managed to field a team against Staffordshire either (it was at least rearranged). I assume they called it off properly this time! :)

Given GM have defaulted 7 boards so far this season in two matches, I wonder whether anyone will actually turn up for the season ending Notts-GM encounter... :roll: The MCCU get three nominations, so the winner of that match will qualify for the national stages!
Alex

Facts wrong again

G Man defaulted 4 boards against Warwickshire (1 player withdrew too late to get a replacement) and 3 others didn't make it due to an accident on the M6 that delayed the start of the match (the rest of us were barely on time or late)

We defaulted 4 against Staffs (notified in advance) as we were forced to play despite the clash with the Preston Congress and we couldn't raise more than 12 (3 of which were making their debut)

Embarrassing, but not fatal

If we had a match on Saturday, which thankfully we didn't, some of the team would have been unable to get there because of the weather, so we're not going to have a go at Notts until we learn the facts, and we hope to see them at Newcastle-under-Lyme, weather permitting, on January 29th
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:12 am

Mick Norris wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote:Given this whole fuss was caused by a match between Nottinghamshire and Warwickshire (plus one other match), it was interesting to note that they met again yesterday in the County Championship.

Astonishingly, Nottinghamshire defaulted the match - scheduled to be held in Nottinghamshire - 16-0 according to the Warwickshire CA website. What happened? Nottinghamshire never managed to field a team against Staffordshire either (it was at least rearranged). I assume they called it off properly this time! :)

Given GM have defaulted 7 boards so far this season in two matches, I wonder whether anyone will actually turn up for the season ending Notts-GM encounter... :roll: The MCCU get three nominations, so the winner of that match will qualify for the national stages!
Alex

Facts wrong again

G Man defaulted 4 boards against Warwickshire (1 player withdrew too late to get a replacement) and 3 others didn't make it due to an accident on the M6 that delayed the start of the match (the rest of us were barely on time or late)

We defaulted 4 against Staffs (notified in advance) as we were forced to play despite the clash with the Preston Congress and we couldn't raise more than 12 (3 of which were making their debut)

Embarrassing, but not fatal

If we had a match on Saturday, which thankfully we didn't, some of the team would have been unable to get there because of the weather, so we're not going to have a go at Notts until we learn the facts, and we hope to see them at Newcastle-under-Lyme, weather permitting, on January 29th
My fact above was that 7 players defaulted boards for GM so far this season. You're right, I was wrong. You've defaulted 8 boards... :oops:

The four defaults versus Warwickshire are understandable given what you say happened. I don't know how county matches are scheduled, but surely this clash with Preston was known about in advance of arranging the date? Although, GM have a lot of congresses and rapidplays, so I can understand why that causes a problem.

Warwickshire has so far only played 12/32 boards on the way to 4 points out of 4.

I can't understand why Notts would concede a home match if weather was the reason. An away match, or a match in a neutral venue, I can understand. According to the website, Notts could only raise 8 or 9 players though. Presumably, Warks could raise a full team, since they didn't call it off. Or maybe both teams struggled, and Notts blinked first to call it off...

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:42 am

Yes, Alex, you can't count!

The weather means sometimes I can't leave home, let alone make it to a home match, so distance isn't always the issue
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:42 am

From the Nottinghamshire Chess Association's web site (http://www.nottschess.org/2010_11/county.html):
Sadly Nottinghamshire were unable to raise a team for the 4th December fixture against Warwickshire. As such Nottinghamshire forfeited the match.
That's all I know, other than that I was one of those unavailable to play.

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:00 pm

Considering people have to travel something over 30 miles for a home county match, it is very possible for the home team to cancel matches for weather

The other day it took me 20 minutes to go about a mile because of the snow, and we realised then we had to call off a home match, because of our players not wanting to take the risk of travelling, ironically the other side of Manchester there was very little snow, so peoples views may differ, so really you cannot comment unless you know the exact weather conditions in said area, from what I gather Notts were hit hard by the snow compared with West Midland counties

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:25 pm

Something seems to have gone wrong here. If the weather in Nottinghamshire was bad, then surely Notts pointed this out to Warks, and advised a rearrangement. Knowing the Warks captain, I'm sure he would have been open to such an offer. While Notts had to travel up to 30 miles, Warks had to travel at least 30 miles since Warks and Notts don't share a border.

The default for this match would have been a neutral venue unless the teams agreed otherwise. I don't know what the venue for the match was, so if it's not in Nottinghamshire, it'd be in Leicestershireish. This would make more sense, because Notts would need to venture beyond their county.

I'm sure Nottinghamshire's captain would have offered to postpone if weather were the problem, principally because Warks would have to travel into the weather. So I don't see that that could be the cause.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:56 pm

Again, lol , its quite interesting I guess.... Maybe Nottinghamshire has a large number of like Chionophobic types? I don't know
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:03 pm

Ben Purton wrote:Again, lol , its quite interesting I guess.... Maybe Nottinghamshire has a large number of like Chionophobic types? I don't know
More like dystichiamaxophobia.