Live games this weekend?

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
Ian Thompson

Re: Live games this weekend?

Post by Ian Thompson » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:26 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:It requires your opponents to fall foul of the penalties for defaults and ineligible players a number of times. Suppose you have a match in which both teams announce four defaults in advance (for a penalty of two game points) and the remaining four boards finish 2.5-1.5; the winning team scores half a game point, the losing team no game points.
Doesn't rule 10.6 make this example impossible? Isn't the minimum 3.5 game points for 7 match points (3 matches finish 1-0 with 7 double defaults and 1 match finishes 0.5-0.5 with 7 double defaults)?

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:33 pm

Ah, possibly. The point that 17.5 is nowhere near the minimum stands, though.

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:39 pm

A bit disappointing that there are no live games this weekend, particularly since I wasn't available to play.

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:48 pm

John Moore wrote:A bit disappointing that there are no live games this weekend, particularly since I wasn't available to play.
http://www.bcfservices.org.uk/livechess ... /index.htm

Round 3 14:00 Wood Green HK 1 v Barbican 4NCL 2 live
Poison Pawns 1 v Barbican 4NCL 1 live

Round 4 11:00 Guildford-A&DC 1 v White Rose 1
The ADs v Pride & Prejudice

There are a couple of errors on the names. I notice that both Graham Morrison and Lorin D'Costa are playing on two boards but otherwise seems okay. I'm very surprised they aren't showing White Rose v Betsson as it seemed the most crucial match of the day but I guess, as with tv/radio schedules for football matches, you can't please everyone.

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:54 pm

Ah excellent - thanks for this Lawrence. Wonder why there is no reference to it on the 4NCL website.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:56 pm

John Moore wrote:Ah excellent - thanks for this Lawrence. Wonder why there is no reference to it on the 4NCL website.
There is - click "Live games" on the left sidebar from the Home page.

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:40 pm

Alex I went from a link on the BCM site and it wasn't there when I posted. Still, pleased to see the Barbican boys playing live. Anybody got any idea who the second Morrison and D'Costa are. I suspect Adam Collinson for Barbican 1 and almost certainly Jon Rogers for the second team - but on which boards.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:44 pm

Not that much publicity then :?

I didn't even realise I was hosting the games this weekend, normally I would check in to make sure things are working

Oh well :roll:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:39 pm

I've just returned from 4NCL, since (unusually) i was due to play one day only.

Lawrence are you sure your link is working? I just keep going back to the January weekend live games. I cannot get anything for today, so cannot comment on the errors noted above - but there were two Morrisons playing for Barbican 4NCL 2, since Lynne made her debut today against Wood Green 1.

I do agree about some very strange decisions about choices of matches for the live games. If this means that we won't see Barbican 1 v Wood Green 2 tomorrow, then something is amiss.

betsson v Wood green was very tight when I left, all three results possible but a draw the most likely and a betsson win being the least likely result

Today I played in our youth team, for the first time ever! A wish come true, though the game itself was terrible.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:44 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote: I do agree about some very strange decisions about choices of matches for the live games. If this means that we won't see Barbican 1 v Wood Green 2 tomorrow, then something is amiss.
Guildford-A&DC 1 v White Rose 1 and The ADs v Pride & Prejudice are being shown, unless they change the board order.

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:20 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:I've just returned from 4NCL, since (unusually) i was due to play one day only.

Lawrence are you sure your link is working? I just keep going back to the January weekend live games. I cannot get anything for today, so cannot comment on the errors noted above - but there were two Morrisons playing for Barbican 4NCL 2, since Lynne made her debut today against Wood Green 1.

I do agree about some very strange decisions about choices of matches for the live games. If this means that we won't see Barbican 1 v Wood Green 2 tomorrow, then something is amiss.

betsson v Wood green was very tight when I left, all three results possible but a draw the most likely and a betsson win being the least likely result

Today I played in our youth team, for the first time ever! A wish come true, though the game itself was terrible.
Hi Jonathan, yes it worked all afternoon and is still working now. It's the link on the site in the left hand column on the 4ncl site. They corrected the names after a couple of hours. They had Lorin and Graham playing on boards 3&4 and 1&2 respectively. Piper and Collinson appeared after a couple of hours play.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:33 pm

Yes, I managed to find the games after i refreshed the page.

Oddly they had South Wales Dragons v Guildford 1 all wired up today as well but nothing to show for it.

I don't know exactly what the procedure is for selecting the matches. Of the four shown this weekend, only one - White Rose v Guildford tomorrow - has clear competitive significance. I think that the overall preference must be to show a match from each of the big teams, but many would prefer to see closer matches with more at stake.

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:00 am

Jonathan Rogers wrote:Yes, I managed to find the games after i refreshed the page.

Oddly they had South Wales Dragons v Guildford 1 all wired up today as well but nothing to show for it.

I don't know exactly what the procedure is for selecting the matches. Of the four shown this weekend, only one - White Rose v Guildford tomorrow - has clear competitive significance. I think that the overall preference must be to show a match from each of the big teams, but many would prefer to see closer matches with more at stake.
I guess it's all about opinions. Aside from the P&P Wood Green clash in round 4 though I'd have thought matches between teams hovering around 4th and 5th places have most relevance in rounds 5-7 but as the season comes to a close then the teams chasing the title and trying to avoid relegation should take priority. Ironically the biggest match I was involved in with Hilsmark was our fortunate win over Barbican which moved us from 7th to 4th to qualify for Europe but I daresay the majority of people from other teams saw it as a meaningless end of season fixture.

I should close by saying I'm grateful for any live coverage and appreciate the efforts of those who provide it. If I'm that desperate to see a match I do have a car parked in the snow that I could drive to Hinckley! :oops:

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:31 am

LozCooper wrote:I should close by saying I'm grateful for any live coverage and appreciate the efforts of those who provide it. If I'm that desperate to see a match I do have a car parked in the snow that I could drive to Hinckley! :oops:
I presume it's Dave Clayton yet again - will be monitoring today now that I know I am doing it!

No snow here in Evesham though :)
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

J. Moore

Post by J. Moore » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:07 am

The games dont appear online yet, is there a problem today?