4NCL Season 2023-24

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
Mark Howitt

Re: 4NCL Season 2023-24

Post by Mark Howitt » Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:02 pm

Because yeah... I'll try to say this in like a polite way I guess while just being quick and saying what's on my mind...

I haven't lost an OTB game since Jan 2007...

Smart people KNOW how much I care when I play otb. Every single game I've played otb I've given 100% and wanted the team to win...

I def think I will play again in Hudds league and prob Yorks league... I have to balance it with my other goals though...

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:08 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:22 pm
Mick Norris wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:58 pm
Registration lists have begun to be published

28 teams in Div 4
"tobedecided" seem to be mostly a Welsh team. Some names look familiar from "West is Best".
There are 3 Welsh players in the Merseyside team, plus Michael Duke; looks a strong squad for Div 4

Glenn House in the Lancaster squad

Andy Horton playing for Wotton Hall
Any postings on here represent my personal views

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:25 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:11 pm
An e-mail from another captain has prompted me to post a reminder to other captains of the cancellation policy for room block bookings with the relevant line in bold:

"UK CHESS EVENT

BOOKING TERMS & CONDITIONS

Your booking is not confirmed until we have your payment details and you have
received our invoice.

If you are paying by Credit or Debit Card we will need these details to secure
your booking.

Payment is not taken until the first day of the event.

You do NOT pay the hotel for your accommodation.

Individual cancellations are accepted without penalty up to 7 days prior to the start of the event.

Block blockings held can release no more than 10% without penalty up to 7 days prior to the event.

Teams to provide players names 7 days prior to the event, name changes are possible up to the day before arrival.

After this date you will be charged 100%.

To avoid this, we will always do our best to re-sell your booking and you can name change without charge.

It is important that you check your invoice as soon as you receive it and report any issues immediately"
Received by captains from Mike Truran today:

"Firstly, my apologies for not having let captains/managers know about changes to bedroom block booking arrangements that Guaranteed Events had told me about back in March - and which I had diarised to communicate to captains/managers once team allocations to divisions had been finalised, and had then unaccountably overlooked. It also seems that Guaranteed Events’ email about the changes, which they tell me was sent in June to captains/managers, has in at least some cases not been received.

The changes to bedroom block booking arrangements (which Guaranteed Events have put in place in an attempt to address the long-running problem of certain captains/managers releasing large numbers of bedrooms held on block bookings late in the day, thereby leaving Guaranteed Events with the financial liability for bedrooms that they have committed to with the various venues and are unable to resell in time) are as follows:

Up to 25% of rooms held on block blockings can be released without penalty up to 28 days before the relevant weekend.

A further 10% of rooms held on block bookings can be released without penalty up to 7 days before the relevant weekend.

After these deadlines the person placing the block booking will be liable for 100% of the booking.

Please note Guaranteed Events’ agreement to try to resell any bedrooms released after the deadlines set out above in order to mitigate any financial liability that may arise as a result of the new arrangements.

Given the less than optimal way in which these changes have been communicated, I’ve agreed with Guaranteed Events that captains/managers who have made block bookings have seven days from the date of this email to review their bookings both for weekend 1 and for the rest of the season, and to let Guaranteed Events know of any changes to those block bookings that they would like made – so until close of play on Wednesday 1st November.

Kind regards

Mike

Mark Howitt

Post by Mark Howitt » Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:01 am

I just have to say no way am I '1500-1600' that's just a silly statement...

I think looking back over my chess career the problem I had was partly from reading that book 'oh you have to be 175 to be 2000'... the reality is when I was 18 in the Sheffield league I regularly got draws with players who were about 135 which really in actual strength would be close to 2000... If I had just played more stronger players yeah I would have lost a few more games but prob I would have beaten some more stronger players otb too...

Naturally I just look at chess news every day and follow some games which is not the same as serious training yet still helps in a way...

I think all depends how much time I put in both onlnie and otb but I know I can play pretty well- with all the different things and training I've had from titled players prob could get to my strongest yet...

Mark Howitt

Post by Mark Howitt » Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:37 am

Just had interesting thought...

And I kinda know what people may say yet will say it anyway...

You know how it is called the NATIONAL chess league?

Well it would be nice if it could be in different venues across the nation like football is then :)

I know I know hard to find the right venues etc... but it would be easier for certain players to get to and promote chess nationwide more...

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:07 am

Mark Howitt wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:37 am
Just had interesting thought...

And I kinda know what people may say yet will say it anyway...

You know how it is called the NATIONAL chess league?

Well it would be nice if it could be in different venues across the nation like football is then :)

I know I know hard to find the right venues etc... but it would be easier for certain players to get to and promote chess nationwide more...
There are four different venues for the five Division 1/2 weekends.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:30 am

Mark Howitt wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:37 am
You see those huge threads about 4NCL 3 North? Go and read the story of them trying to do/doing that. Kept at it for some time, folded up post Covid when finances got tight. Not likely to retry in a hurry - the sums for more local leagues never quite worked financially.

Anyway, between NCCU county chess being fixed and the Yorkshire league the N of England really isn't remotely short of league style teams chess. The people playing in Div1/2 4NCL are broadly keen enough to be happy travelling.

Mark Howitt

Post by Mark Howitt » Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:42 am

Yeah I get what u mean I knew about the N...

Just if chess was like football or even cricket the venues would be in different places...

Remains to be seen how much time I spend on chess yet thanks for your reply!

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:44 pm

If chess was like football or cricket the players would be paid to play, accommodation and transportation would be provided for them and they wouldn't really mind where they had to go from one match to another - 4ncl (aside from a few div 1 players that might get some recompense and the occasional whale teams that buy themselves a vanity trophy) is pretty much an amateur competition so we just have to be grateful that an organiser puts it on at all and provides some measure of variety in hotels but they can't be expected to run at a loss.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Mark Howitt

Post by Mark Howitt » Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:35 pm

Yep chess has got a long way to go to be a pro sport in UK... let's see who gets the government grant/rebate...