Search found 15 matches

by Peter Harrington
Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:38 pm
Forum: Congress Diary
Topic: British Championship Congress 2022
Replies: 522
Views: 63284

Re: British Championship Congress 2023

Any body know where the British Championships will be in 2023? Any rumours?
by Peter Harrington
Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:47 pm
Forum: Rating Debate
Topic: ENG Rapid Ratings in Swiss Manager
Replies: 20
Views: 14238

Re: ENG Rapid Ratings in Swiss Manager

Thanks for your comment.
by Peter Harrington
Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:36 pm
Forum: Rating Debate
Topic: ENG Rapid Ratings in Swiss Manager
Replies: 20
Views: 14238

Re: ENG Standard play 4-digit ratings

And this is what I was expecting to see, and 1563 is much better than 1477. It isn't really that much at less than 100 points. You can do it directly using what's sometimes called the 400 point rule. Add up the ratings of your opponents, add or subtract 400 times your excess or otherwise of wins ov...
by Peter Harrington
Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:10 pm
Forum: Rating Debate
Topic: ENG Rapid Ratings in Swiss Manager
Replies: 20
Views: 14238

Re: ENG Rapid Ratings in Swiss Manager

Yes, I did get the number from chess-results. That's right I was expecting a small increase on my current rating. Thanks for your comments.
by Peter Harrington
Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:23 pm
Forum: Rating Debate
Topic: ENG Rapid Ratings in Swiss Manager
Replies: 20
Views: 14238

Re: ENG Standard play 4-digit ratings

The new 4-digit rating system appears to undervalue player ratings. For example at the current British Championships in Torquay, I played in the week 1 U1750 event. My grade going into the event was 1531 (or 111 in 'old money'). I was disappointed and confused by the system-generated performance rat...
by Peter Harrington
Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:05 pm
Forum: Congress Diary
Topic: 25th 4ncl Congress!
Replies: 92
Views: 13112

Re: 25th 4ncl Congress!

Thanks for the games. I'll play them through, particularly the Arkell ending.
by Peter Harrington
Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:41 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal
Replies: 2803
Views: 344693

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

So glad that the English Bridge Union have issued guidance for bridge clubs. I am now sure that the English Chess Federation will follow soon with guidance for chess clubs. In the meantime rightly or wrongly I have made my own decision that we can only have six players at the chess club, and those ...
by Peter Harrington
Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:24 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal
Replies: 2803
Views: 344693

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

The English Bridge Union say the new measures remove any doubt that face to face bridge competitions can return and say it’s not possible at this time. European Bridge Union competitions will also be cancelled. They await suitable changes being made in the future before any clubs should reopen; htt...
by Peter Harrington
Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:58 pm
Forum: ECF Matters
Topic: New ECF Rating Database
Replies: 36
Views: 7819

Re: New ECF Rating Database

What a shambles! <snip> Do these computer nerds and web designers etc ever consider the users? No good deed goes unpunished. Here is what you should have written. "Thanks to all the volunteers who gave up their evenings and weekends to make this migration possible, we all really appreciate your eff...
by Peter Harrington
Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:44 pm
Forum: ECF Matters
Topic: New ECF Rating Database
Replies: 36
Views: 7819

Re: New ECF Rating Database

What a shambles! <snip> Do these computer nerds and web designers etc ever consider the users? No good deed goes unpunished. Here is what you should have written. "Thanks to all the volunteers who gave up their evenings and weekends to make this migration possible, we all really appreciate your eff...
by Peter Harrington
Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:24 am
Forum: ECF Matters
Topic: New ECF Rating Database
Replies: 36
Views: 7819

Re: New ECF Rating Database

Ian Thompson wrote: ↑
Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:10 am
You can click on the ECF logo to change the colour scheme to something lighter.
Thanks, I'll try that or anything to improve the situation.
by Peter Harrington
Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:01 am
Forum: ECF Matters
Topic: New ECF Rating Database
Replies: 36
Views: 7819

New ECF Rating Database

What a shambles! Now I've no problem with moving to a 4-figure rating system but the presentation is shambolic. Do these computer nerds and web designers etc ever consider the users? You are presented with a black background and writing and symbols in various colours. What about users with any sort ...
by Peter Harrington
Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:30 am
Forum: ECF Matters
Topic: Membership Renewal
Replies: 323
Views: 53534

Re: Membership Renewal

Note also, that to play in any ECF online league, you need as a minimum to have at least ECF supporter status or be a member of the ECF.
by Peter Harrington
Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:26 am
Forum: ECF Matters
Topic: Membership Renewal
Replies: 323
Views: 53534

Re: Membership Renewal

The idea of adopting a compromise position regarding renewing applies also to previous bronze members. They could become an ECF supporter for £10. When the situation re OTB league chess improves, then can upgrade to bronze by paying just the difference.
by Peter Harrington
Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:51 am
Forum: ECF Matters
Topic: Membership Renewal
Replies: 323
Views: 53534

Re: Membership Renewal

Perhaps those unsure about renewing could adopt a compromise position. For years I have been a silver member but when I renewed a couple of days ago I opted for bronze membership. That way I am supporting the ECF and I still have the option to upgrade to silver should congresses become more viable i...