Search found 41 matches

by David Mabbs
Fri May 15, 2026 4:00 pm
Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
Topic: Dave Rumens
Replies: 108
Views: 43842

Re: Dave Rumens

Dave's second wife's previous married name was Juana M Escudero Verdugo (maiden name Gonzale). She had a daughter, Cynthia Renee Verdugo, born in Sheffield in early 1982. Her marriage to Dave was in the last quarter of 1987, at Tower Hamlets. This marriage only lasted a few years; I don't know wheth...
by David Mabbs
Sat May 09, 2026 5:55 pm
Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
Topic: Dave Rumens
Replies: 108
Views: 43842

Re: Dave Rumens

Carol was poet-in-residence at Trinity College, Dublin.
by David Mabbs
Sat May 09, 2026 10:57 am
Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
Topic: Dave Rumens
Replies: 108
Views: 43842

Re: Dave Rumens

I was very sorry to hear that Carol has died. Our families used to meet socially – their two daughters were the same ages as our two sons. Dave Rumens and I were always on our best behaviours (which isn't saying much) but we tried scrupulously not to talk about chess, nor even to play surreptitious ...
by David Mabbs
Sun Nov 23, 2025 12:01 pm
Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
Topic: Kenny Harman
Replies: 20
Views: 10819

Re: Kenny Harman

Here is Kenny in the back row two to the right of Dinah between RC Vaughan and David Parr. November 25th 1962 St. Pancras Town Hall Paul Keres Simul img_2647_crop.jpg I shall let others have the fun of naming all and sundry. Sorry to hear about Ken's death, I knew him well in the early 1960s. Here'...
by David Mabbs
Mon Sep 22, 2025 12:06 pm
Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
Topic: David Levens
Replies: 24
Views: 8228

Re: David Levens

So sorry to hear of David Levens' passing. In 1948 our families were neighbours, and Dave and I became playmates along with other kids. A couple of years later Dave was given a chess set, and he enlisted as many of us as he could, to learn and play the game. He and I were soon hooked. A couple more ...
by David Mabbs
Wed Apr 30, 2025 4:36 pm
Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
Topic: Phil Meade 1938-2025
Replies: 4
Views: 2294

Re: Phil Meade 1938-2025

No - the punt, with us in it, travelled like a retreating Bishop and collided with the portside river bank where we managed to grab hold. Most middle Sundays (of chess congresses), which were free days, were almost always marked (or rather, marred) by some catastrophe or other. The most infamous tha...
by David Mabbs
Mon Apr 28, 2025 4:33 pm
Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
Topic: John Rety (1930-2010)
Replies: 39
Views: 17681

Re: John Rety (1930-2010)

I mentioned, on page two of the tributes to Dave Rumens, how Dave won a ten-shillings bet that he would jump off the end of Eastbourne Pier. The catch was that Dave jumped off the land-end of the pier - which was nevertheless quite a sizeable jump - and we all had to pay up. What I didn't mention wa...
by David Mabbs
Mon Apr 28, 2025 4:11 pm
Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
Topic: Phil Meade 1938-2025
Replies: 4
Views: 2294

Re: Phil Meade 1938-2025

My abiding memory of Phil dates from August 1958.We were among a gaggle of chess players staying at the Leamington Spa youth hostel during the British Championships (Phil was playing in the Major Open). On the free Sunday several of us made the madcap decision to walk to Stratford upon Avon some eig...
by David Mabbs
Sun Mar 02, 2025 5:47 pm
Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
Topic: Kathy Hindle
Replies: 2
Views: 1819

Kathy Hindle

I have just heard some very sad news that Kathy Hindle passed away in the Norfolk & Norwich Hospital on 22nd February. Kathy was a very strong chess player, playing locally for Morley Chess Club but also for Scotland's chess teams. Condolences go to Owen Hindle and his family.
by David Mabbs
Sun Mar 02, 2025 5:07 pm
Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
Topic: Boris Spassky
Replies: 91
Views: 17047

Re: Boris Spassky

I was very sorry to learn of Boris Spassky's death, but hugely encouraged by the many tributes and memories posted here. Until I read Leonard Barden's excellent article, I hadn't realised that Boris was blamed and sanctioned for the USSR team's failure to win the 1960 World Students' Team Championsh...
by David Mabbs
Sun Feb 09, 2025 3:44 pm
Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
Topic: Stewart Reuben
Replies: 111
Views: 21615

Re: Stewart Reuben

I was very sad to learn of Stewart's death. We knew one another for over seventy years, meeting first on the Middlesex/London Boys chess scene, and later at venues like the National Chess Centre and the En Passant chess café. At Stewart's school, William Ellis, playing rugby was compulsory - the clu...
by David Mabbs
Sat Nov 02, 2024 3:32 pm
Forum: Birthdays & Anniversaries
Topic: Happy Birthday WCM Dinah Norman (21-viii-1946)
Replies: 12
Views: 7270

Re: Happy Birthday WCM Dinah Norman (21-viii-1946)

Hi Dinah

Very belated Happy Birthday wishes from David Mabbs, and best regards to Ken.
by David Mabbs
Thu Oct 31, 2024 11:59 am
Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
Topic: Carlos Bielicki IM
Replies: 11
Views: 3306

Re: Carlos Bielicki IM

Replying to James Pratt ... I appreciate the old joke, dating back to November 1964 when I first gave up chess forever and got rid of all my chess possessions including game scores. "What a mistake-a to make", to quote Captain Alberto Bertorelli. I owe immense thanks to John Saunders, who has redisc...
by David Mabbs
Fri Oct 25, 2024 6:26 pm
Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
Topic: Carlos Bielicki IM
Replies: 11
Views: 3306

Re: Carlos Bielicki IM

And ... here's another Cedars voice, joining colleague John Collins to mark and honour Dave Rumens's near miss, and humbly to praise Carlos Bielicki.
by David Mabbs
Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:07 pm
Forum: Chess History
Topic: Who was L. Alexander?
Replies: 54
Views: 16992

Re: Who was L. Alexander?

I've also wondered who L. Alexander was, because he was the guy that I defeated in perhaps my most spectacular game ever - there has to be one such game, for all of us. And, like others, I had never heard of him either before or since. It's nice to know, from the posted responses, that he had a very...