Search found 8 matches
- Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:42 pm
- Forum: Congress Diary
- Topic: Coventry & District Chess League CENTENARY Rapidplay, SUN 27th January 2019 (ECF & FIDE rated)
- Replies: 7
- Views: 3534
Re: Coventry & District Chess League CENTENARY Rapidplay, SUN 27th January 2019 (ECF & FIDE rated)
Again thanks for the responses, but I'm going to open a new thread shortly to discuss this as my thoughts are not directly related to Coventry vs Stockport exactly, rather the chess scene in the north in general and I don't want to detrail this thread. Thanks.
- Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:34 pm
- Forum: Congress Diary
- Topic: Bolton Rapidplay Sunday 18 November 2018
- Replies: 13
- Views: 4186
Re: Bolton Rapidplay Sunday 18 November 2018
I appreciate the responses, but I don't want to comment further here because I don't want to derail this thread which has nothing to do with the topic directly, my appologies to Mick Norris. I will start a new thread to discuss these issues which has nothing directly to do with the Bolton Rapidplay ...
- Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:39 pm
- Forum: Congress Diary
- Topic: Bolton Rapidplay Sunday 18 November 2018
- Replies: 13
- Views: 4186
Re: Bolton Rapidplay Sunday 18 November 2018
Yes that's a fair point. County matches run about every three weeks so it would be possible to organise in-between matches, but I suppose it's easier for the tournament organiser just to run it on a Sunday. It's no excuse to organise it on the exact same day as another local Northern tournament thou...
- Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:24 pm
- Forum: Congress Diary
- Topic: Stockport Rapidplay Sunday 27 January 2019
- Replies: 4
- Views: 1386
Re: Stockport Rapidplay Sunday 27 January 2019
Why host this the exact same day as the Coventry one?
- Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:23 pm
- Forum: Congress Diary
- Topic: Coventry & District Chess League CENTENARY Rapidplay, SUN 27th January 2019 (ECF & FIDE rated)
- Replies: 7
- Views: 3534
Re: Coventry & District Chess League CENTENARY Rapidplay, SUN 27th January 2019 (ECF & FIDE rated)
Why host this the exact same day as the Stockport one?
- Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:19 pm
- Forum: Congress Diary
- Topic: Bolton Rapidplay Sunday 18 November 2018
- Replies: 13
- Views: 4186
Re: Bolton Rapidplay Sunday 18 November 2018
Saturday would surely be a better day as most people work Monday to Friday Now let me think about that one. Would I rather play chess tired after five days of work or go into work tired after one day of chess? Difficult one! So you can go back to work Monday tired after travelling to and from chess...
- Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:59 pm
- Forum: Congress Diary
- Topic: Bolton Rapidplay Sunday 18 November 2018
- Replies: 13
- Views: 4186
Re: Bolton Rapidplay Sunday 18 November 2018
Why are all the rapid events in the North held on Sundays? This one. The Stockport one on Sunday 27th and Hull on Sunday 6th January? At least they are not held on the same exact day, (crazy) as has happened before, but Saturday would surely be a better day as most people work Monday to Friday? Edit...
- Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:46 pm
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: Best book for a beginner
- Replies: 26
- Views: 5922
Re: Best book for a beginner
Logical Chess by Chernev I think is an ideal book. It helps to reinforce solid chess principles. The games are short and easy to understand, as I remember them anyway. Also the beginning player should be hitting tactics heavily and playing as much as they can.