Search found 7 matches

by Leon Watson
Sun May 19, 2024 4:07 pm
Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
Topic: Barry Miles
Replies: 17
Views: 5305

Re: Barry Miles

It's terribly sad to hear this news.

Barry was one of the first people I came across when I first got into chess about 15 years ago.

What a nice man.

On behalf of everyone at Battersea Chess Club, condolences to his family, friends and South Norwood Chess Club.

A real loss to chess.
by Leon Watson
Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:26 am
Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
Topic: Martin Cath
Replies: 16
Views: 3814

Re: Martin Cath

Very sad news.

Martin was just the nicest man. Always welcoming, always jovial. He will be a big loss to the South Norwood.

Condolences to everyone at the club.
by Leon Watson
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:38 am
Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
Topic: Alan Whitbread
Replies: 7
Views: 3368

Re: Alan Whitbread

Hi, I've had the same request with regards to Battersea Chess Club.

Alan was a joint club champion with Ray Keene in 1963.

I would like to gather as much info as possible for his son.
by Leon Watson
Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:47 am
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Chess in Newspapers
Replies: 27
Views: 8594

Re: Chess in Newspapers

I used to work for the Daily Mail, for my sins. I still have some friends there and will enquire about the truth of this. Sounds very unlikely though
by Leon Watson
Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:26 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Lost chess clubs
Replies: 5
Views: 1259

Lost chess clubs

Hi, I wonder if y'all can help me. I'm trying to build up a picture of whether club chess is growing or declining in England. I suspect declining, obviously, but have no figures to back that up. I doubt there are any figures on this specific question, but I wonder if people here can give me an idea ...
by Leon Watson
Thu May 03, 2018 1:04 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Entries wanted for Summer League
Replies: 2
Views: 1028

Re: Entries wanted for Summer League

Hi Brendan, we ran a small league last year but this is a massive expansion and the first time we've attempted anything on this scale. The divisions are almost certainly going to be something like open, u150 and u115 - but we're open to some tinkering if that causes a problem and makes it difficult ...
by Leon Watson
Thu May 03, 2018 12:02 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Entries wanted for Summer League
Replies: 2
Views: 1028

Entries wanted for Summer League

Hello forum, Long-time lurker first-time poster here. I want to make people aware of a new league we're running at Battersea over the coming months. It's called the Summer Chess League and starts in June. It is ECF-rated, but the idea is it a bit more casual than most leagues. The kind of league you...