Search found 2043 matches
- Sun Sep 27, 2026 9:19 pm
- Forum: International News
- Topic: FIDE Presidential Election
- Replies: 64
- Views: 12213
Re: FIDE Presidential Election
I was a bit surprised Malcolm supported Turlov. He has been posting on twitter about the deal. How much of this is achievement and how much PR not clear to me. Agreement between Malcolm Pein and Timur Turlov Suspended teams not to be readmitted to FIDE competitions. TT to speak and vote against this...
- Fri Sep 18, 2026 2:52 pm
- Forum: International News
- Topic: 2026 Chess Olympiad
- Replies: 646
- Views: 26276
Re: 2026 Chess Olympiad
Engines hate any kind of KID. They can do things with space that only they and possibly Matthew Sadler understand. I disliked Gawain's position even when the computer said equal because I think that is what Black players who play this sort of gxf6 structure want. Although I'm objectively wrong of co...
- Fri Sep 18, 2026 2:38 pm
- Forum: International News
- Topic: 2026 Chess Olympiad
- Replies: 646
- Views: 26276
Re: 2026 Chess Olympiad
Fortunately Luke's opponent blundered in time trouble.
I'm still a bit uncomfortable about Gawain, but was probably too pessimistic earlier
I'm still a bit uncomfortable about Gawain, but was probably too pessimistic earlier
- Fri Sep 18, 2026 1:58 pm
- Forum: International News
- Topic: 2026 Chess Olympiad
- Replies: 646
- Views: 26276
Re: 2026 Chess Olympiad
Gawain looks to be in trouble. Looking like that might be decisive in the match.
- Thu Sep 17, 2026 10:03 pm
- Forum: International News
- Topic: 2026 Chess Olympiad
- Replies: 646
- Views: 26276
Re: 2026 Chess Olympiad
Thanks. Apologies for not doing my own googling. In my defense I though Bruzon was Brazilian. Although I cannot explain why, so it is not much of a defense.
That article does present a very downbeat picture, in line with the impact of US sanctions on Cuba generally as I understand it.
That article does present a very downbeat picture, in line with the impact of US sanctions on Cuba generally as I understand it.
- Thu Sep 17, 2026 8:41 pm
- Forum: International News
- Topic: 2026 Chess Olympiad
- Replies: 646
- Views: 26276
Re: 2026 Chess Olympiad
The Iranian Open team is still very strong. Their women's team hugely weakened though.
I have to admit Dominguez is the only strong Cuban I can think of who changed federation. Am I missing some?
I have to admit Dominguez is the only strong Cuban I can think of who changed federation. Am I missing some?
- Wed Aug 05, 2026 9:42 pm
- Forum: ECF Matters
- Topic: Election of Direct Members' Representatives
- Replies: 162
- Views: 19737
Re: Election of Direct Members' Representatives
Well, we have to take what crumbs of transparency we are given.
I do think the culture of opacity was instituted during Mike's time as CEO. But I am happy to accept Alex's assurance he was kind to a cat while doing it.
I do think the culture of opacity was instituted during Mike's time as CEO. But I am happy to accept Alex's assurance he was kind to a cat while doing it.
- Wed Aug 05, 2026 9:36 pm
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: Winning on time dishonestly
- Replies: 39
- Views: 2910
Re: Winning on time dishonestly
Korchnoi was probably the worst loser of all time. Another famous incident is the one where Shirov forgot to wait for his insult after the game and went back to collect it, nodding respectfully at the end. Korchnoi was also world class at holding grudges and he arranged results in an era when that w...
- Mon Aug 03, 2026 9:21 pm
- Forum: ECF Matters
- Topic: Election of Direct Members' Representatives
- Replies: 162
- Views: 19737
Re: Election of Direct Members' Representatives
The election process was reviewed by the Chair of Governance and the Voting Registration Officer and was found to be in order – David Eustace, Chair of Council" I'm glad governance reviewed it. Still surprised it was acceptable to them though. I look forward to reading their committee minutes at so...
- Mon Aug 03, 2026 9:16 pm
- Forum: 4NCL
- Topic: 4NCL 2025-26 Division Two
- Replies: 100
- Views: 18914
Re: 4NCL 2025-26 Division Two
I sympathise with the attempt. But I'm doubtful that it is possible to draft a test which would allow SPTW to field an all female team without making it easy for other teams to be all male if they wanted. It is a shame the representatives of SPTW weren't asked about the Equalities Act in either of t...
- Wed Jul 29, 2026 8:24 pm
- Forum: ECF Matters
- Topic: Election of Direct Members' Representatives
- Replies: 162
- Views: 19737
Re: Election of Direct Members' Representatives
My theory is the ECF are trying to work out why they have 12000 votes from rural Hampshire.
I''m joking of course. I'm sure Ian knows how to mask his IP.
I''m joking of course. I'm sure Ian knows how to mask his IP.
- Tue Jul 28, 2026 8:15 am
- Forum: ECF Matters
- Topic: Election of Direct Members' Representatives
- Replies: 162
- Views: 19737
Re: Election of Direct Members' Representatives
If Andrew's concern is not to further inflame the dispute between John and Barbara I can understand.
But I was hoping to discuss the election result and whether the voting is published here or in another thread.
But I was hoping to discuss the election result and whether the voting is published here or in another thread.
- Sat Jul 18, 2026 12:21 pm
- Forum: ECF Matters
- Topic: Election of Direct Members' Representatives
- Replies: 162
- Views: 19737
Re: Election of Direct Members' Representatives
... it has been decided not to publish the number of votes given to individual candidates. We believe that this will help to encourage participation. I will vote for the first 4 candidates who announce they will insist that the number of votes for each person is published. I believe this will help ...
- Fri Jul 10, 2026 7:43 am
- Forum: International News
- Topic: Vladimir Kramnik FIDE Ethics Case
- Replies: 37
- Views: 6229
Re: Vladimir Kramnik FIDE Ethics Case
That accusation was found libellous in 2009. Probably better not to repeat it. The version Materazzi has told consistently in recent years is than he pulled Zindane's shirt, Zidane said if you want my shirt you can have it after the game, Materazzi replied I'd rather have your ***** of a sister, and...
- Thu Jun 04, 2026 10:44 am
- Forum: ECF Matters
- Topic: ECF Membership should be voluntary
- Replies: 132
- Views: 11818
Re: ECF Membership should be voluntary
IN passing I hope John finds time to explain his position on value for money. I think he might have an argument I've notheard before. There are a fair number of people who would prefer game fee for various reasons. But mostly they argue based on fairness rather than value. I know a conscientious obj...