https://www.shropshirechess.org/wp-cont ... ouncil.pdf
Excellent report on the Shropshire website.
Search found 57 matches
- Thu Jun 11, 2026 9:11 am
- Forum: ECF Matters
- Topic: Finance Committee Meeting 2026
- Replies: 31
- Views: 5304
- Wed Jun 03, 2026 9:29 am
- Forum: ECF Matters
- Topic: ECF Membership should be voluntary
- Replies: 132
- Views: 11824
Re: ECF Membership should be voluntary
Very crudely (based on their last published accounts), without the club affiliation income the membership fee would be around £60. Without the grant income it would be around £70. No doubt that's one of the reasons why golf club membership fees are at the level they are. As they say, go figure. I’m...
- Tue Jun 02, 2026 8:50 pm
- Forum: ECF Matters
- Topic: ECF Membership should be voluntary
- Replies: 132
- Views: 11824
Re: ECF Membership should be voluntary
A long while up this thread Alex compared the cost of golf to the cost of chess. Most golfers want what most chess players want, a national organisation to maintain a handicap / rating system to allow competitions to be played fairly. The annual England golf membership fee is £12, normally paid thro...
- Fri Apr 24, 2026 3:42 pm
- Forum: Chess Questions
- Topic: Question for Arbiters.
- Replies: 27
- Views: 5625
Re: Question for Arbiters.
Thanks for the replies. I agree with what Kevin wrote above. It seems to me that the guidance should be that an arbiter only intervenes if he is certain that a violation has taken place. I also agree that it was just a mistake by the arbiter, but I’m surprised that the guidance, which I don’t agree ...
- Tue Apr 21, 2026 6:44 pm
- Forum: Chess Questions
- Topic: Question for Arbiters.
- Replies: 27
- Views: 5625
Re: Question for Arbiters.
Probably not asked the right question. Playing in a standard rating event recently, with both players short of time. I played a move, my opponent then said adjust and adjusted one of his pieces, he then thought for 30 seconds or so and moved a different piece, and started my clock. The arbiter then ...
- Tue Apr 21, 2026 4:50 pm
- Forum: Chess Questions
- Topic: Question for Arbiters.
- Replies: 27
- Views: 5625
Re: Question for Arbiters.
Slightly surprised by your answer Alex.
What happens if the arbiter is wrong?
What happens if the arbiter is wrong?
- Tue Apr 21, 2026 10:36 am
- Forum: Chess Questions
- Topic: Question for Arbiters.
- Replies: 27
- Views: 5625
Question for Arbiters.
Both players are seated at the board in a standard play game, and are short of time (less than 5 minutes).
Should an arbiter intervene if he believes a touch move infringement has occured?
Should an arbiter intervene if he believes a touch move infringement has occured?
- Tue Feb 17, 2026 10:27 am
- Forum: Seniors Chess
- Topic: English Seniors Championship 2026
- Replies: 43
- Views: 19617
Re: English Seniors Championship 2026
I was posting regarding the seniors championship. Alex has grouped them together, but it would be interesting to know how much the seniors event lost. I would expect (although I don’t know) that the costs for the English championships to be much higher because of the free entry and presumably condit...
- Mon Feb 16, 2026 9:24 am
- Forum: Seniors Chess
- Topic: English Seniors Championship 2026
- Replies: 43
- Views: 19617
Re: English Seniors Championship 2026
Thanks for posting Alex.
What was the justification for running the senior and English championships at the same time?
What was the justification for running the senior and English championships at the same time?
- Sat Feb 14, 2026 2:18 pm
- Forum: Seniors Chess
- Topic: English Seniors Championship 2026
- Replies: 43
- Views: 19617
Re: English Seniors Championship 2026
Very disappointing.
I thought last years event was excellent so why change the format.
The schedule is very poor.
If you are going to have a double round day why not in the middle of the event.
I thought last years event was excellent so why change the format.
The schedule is very poor.
If you are going to have a double round day why not in the middle of the event.
- Sun Sep 07, 2025 8:06 pm
- Forum: Chess History
- Topic: 1978 National Schools' Final
- Replies: 88
- Views: 28590
Re: 1978 National Schools' Final
I may not be remembering correctly, but wasn’t the game adjourned and 42 Bf8 Was the sealed move.
Be3 is still a great move, but much easier to find during the adjournment
Be3 is still a great move, but much easier to find during the adjournment
- Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:06 am
- Forum: Congress Diary
- Topic: Wrexham Rapidplay 26th Nov
- Replies: 1
- Views: 913
Wrexham Rapidplay 26th Nov
Please note.
The games will not be rated, you do not need to be a member of the ECF or WCU
I have the entry form in docx format which won’t attach to my post.
PM me if you would like a copy
The games will not be rated, you do not need to be a member of the ECF or WCU
I have the entry form in docx format which won’t attach to my post.
PM me if you would like a copy
- Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:04 am
- Forum: Congress Diary
- Topic: Wrexham Rapidplay 26th Nov
- Replies: 1
- Views: 913
Wrexham Rapidplay 26th Nov
WREXHAM CHESS CLUB Presents The Twentieth MIKE EVANS MEMORIAL RAPIDPLAY CHESS CONGRESS At Gresford Trust Memorial Hall LL12 8PS Sunday 26 November 2023 Arbiters: Richard Dineley Steve Richards Congress Director: Charles Morris Refreshments Available between Rounds PRIZES Prizes will be awarded depen...
- Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:30 pm
- Forum: 4NCL
- Topic: 4NCL Season 2023-24
- Replies: 144
- Views: 60083
Re: 4NCL Season 2023-24
I think that makes Manchester despite a couple of name changes the last survivors of the original Div 3 North
- Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:34 pm
- Forum: Congress Diary
- Topic: British Rapidplay Championship 2023
- Replies: 15
- Views: 2500
Re: British Rapidplay Championship 2023
To answer a couple of Alan’s points. “And btw, the free hits for Theo were the following rounds not the one he lost” I realised that I think you’ll find that one of his free hits was also a talented junior. “Most other sporting events are played as either an round robin (league structures) or head t...