Search found 153 matches
- Sat Aug 01, 2026 8:44 pm
- Forum: 4NCL
- Topic: 4NCL 2025-26 Division Two
- Replies: 100
- Views: 18904
Re: 4NCL 2025-26 Division Two
I've been reading this thread and resisting getting involved, but I feel a couple of points need to be made. Mike Truran has been coming in for criticism from some. I have known Mike over several years, particularly during the period I served as a Non-Exec on the ECF Board alongside him. Whilst he's...
- Sat Jan 17, 2026 4:06 pm
- Forum: Junior Chess
- Topic: South of England Junior Tournament 2026
- Replies: 2
- Views: 3595
Re: South of England Junior Tournament 2026
John,
I presume you are referring to this:
https://bookwhen.com/sejcc/e/ev-sasx-20260131093000
Sourced from the Sussex Junior Chess website.
I presume you are referring to this:
https://bookwhen.com/sejcc/e/ev-sasx-20260131093000
Sourced from the Sussex Junior Chess website.
- Sat Oct 18, 2025 6:07 pm
- Forum: ECF Matters
- Topic: Scam Warning
- Replies: 2
- Views: 4270
Re: Scam Warning
Shortly after forwarding this to Andrew Walker this morning, he replied - which I consider above and beyond the call of duty for a Saturday morning - saying it was genuine, which gave me the confidence to open a link to the original invoice. It was for a Sussex organisation for which I am not a cont...
- Sat Oct 18, 2025 9:17 am
- Forum: ECF Matters
- Topic: Scam Warning
- Replies: 2
- Views: 4270
Scam Warning
I have just received a "payment reminder" purporting to have come from Gary Willson (who hasn't worked in the ECF office for some time) and generated from within the ECF's professional accounting system. It's obviously a scam and I have forwarded it to the ECF office, but be aware in case this is mo...
- Fri Nov 29, 2024 10:56 am
- Forum: 4NCL
- Topic: 4NCL 2024-25 Division Four
- Replies: 18
- Views: 11986
Re: 4NCL 2024-25 Division Four
"I found "Fox and Hounds" as a pub 0.6 miles from the hotel so probably that one."
Lawrence, no. The one I'm aware of, and have used, was The Woodman on Thorpe Road.
Lawrence, no. The one I'm aware of, and have used, was The Woodman on Thorpe Road.
- Fri Nov 29, 2024 9:15 am
- Forum: 4NCL
- Topic: 4NCL 2024-25 Division Four
- Replies: 18
- Views: 11986
Re: 4NCL 2024-25 Division Four
I used the hotel buffet. Not a great fan of Indian cuisine, but it was fine. we were clearly told the price for either 2 or 3 courses. I also stayed at the hotel for the 4NCL Easter congress this year. Roger is correct to say there's a pub nearby. It does perfectly reasonable food and is only about ...
- Fri Sep 13, 2024 5:22 pm
- Forum: International News
- Topic: 2024 Olympiad
- Replies: 325
- Views: 40720
Re: 2024 Olympiad
The Guernsey player was two pieces up for much of the game. Admittedly the opponent had a pawn roller as limited compensation. I did spot a handful of repetitions. Was it dealing with incorrect claims that kept the arbiter busy? I was on the adjacent board, but other than being disturbed by all the...
- Fri Sep 13, 2024 11:38 am
- Forum: International News
- Topic: 2024 Olympiad
- Replies: 325
- Views: 40720
Re: 2024 Olympiad
It's been noted that Pauline is the oldest player in the entire Olympiad. Had a win yesterday against a rather awkward opponent. I've never seen an arbiter kept so busy!Kevin Thurlow wrote: ↑Fri Sep 13, 2024 8:55 amIt was great to see Pauline Woodward playing. She was a cheery presence at previous Guernsey tournaments.
- Fri Sep 13, 2024 8:19 am
- Forum: International News
- Topic: 2024 Olympiad
- Replies: 325
- Views: 40720
Re: 2024 Olympiad
You can search for the match you want if you scroll down a bit. I have been cheering Guernsey on, who may avoid 4-0. Thank you Kevin. In the Women's tournament we've so far had two 4 - 0 results. At least we were on the right side of one of them! Tougher match coming up again today against Paraguay.
- Fri Aug 23, 2024 4:39 pm
- Forum: Chess History
- Topic: Bognor 1968
- Replies: 52
- Views: 7363
Re: Bognor 1968
Do we know if any of the chess games attributed to William Frederick Denning by Chessbase are by him (i.e. from 1931 or before)? It should be reported to Chessbase as this is an open-and-shut case. WFD was dead long before that game was played. How many WJD games are attributed to WFD? I believe th...
- Thu Aug 22, 2024 7:22 pm
- Forum: Chess History
- Topic: Bognor 1968
- Replies: 52
- Views: 7363
Re: Bognor 1968
I have chosen this post to reply to just in case Julie did not have the two games which her father played in the Olympiad, which the winning one is below. [White "Thomassen, Joachim"] [Black "Denning, William Frederick"] [Result "0-1"] [/pgn] Thanks Graham for this. I have seen my father's games pr...
- Thu Aug 08, 2024 12:34 pm
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: Chess Player Attempts to poison opponent
- Replies: 16
- Views: 3198
Re: Chess Player Attempts to poison opponent
"Indeed - in my working days, I advised on "transport of dangerous goods" and chemical safety. Normally it was about chemicals for laboratories, but I did once get a call from a museum wanting to send Victorian top hats on a tour of overseas museums, It made a change from what to do with 10 % solut...
- Thu Aug 01, 2024 11:11 am
- Forum: Chess History
- Topic: Bognor 1968
- Replies: 52
- Views: 7363
Re: Bognor 1968
"Finally the winner of the Open Swiss was David Browning who went on to represent Guernsey in the 1976 Haifa Olympiad." As did my father, who was listed as 1st, of 2, reserves, further confirming the point made elsewhere recently that in the past Olympiad teams had 6 members, including 2 reserves. A...
- Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:54 am
- Forum: Chess Questions
- Topic: PGN Files
- Replies: 3
- Views: 5271
Re: PGN Files
Thanks John. I'd overlooked that option.
Julie
Julie
- Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:14 pm
- Forum: Chess Questions
- Topic: PGN Files
- Replies: 3
- Views: 5271
PGN Files
I know this has been answered before, but I can't remember when or where. Can someone please point me to an easy way to record games in PGN files. Thanks
Julie Denning
Julie Denning