Search found 70 matches

by Colm Daly
Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:34 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: High Court defamation suit
Replies: 26
Views: 5546

Re: High Court defamation suit

I'm mighty surprised the Sunday Times didn't check its facts before publishing. That is exactly what would have been my first thought and instinct too, but I also know that so often the newspapers get it wrong and because I got some information directly from the horses mouth so to speak I was compl...
by Colm Daly
Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:28 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: High Court defamation suit
Replies: 26
Views: 5546

Re: High Court defamation suit

In the single post I made about this topic I had wrote: “Has nobody ever heard of the idea that you shouldn't believe what you read in the papers?” Leaving out the word “always” which should have been before the word “believe”. Nevertheless this minor oversight aside I can't deny that I made a mista...
by Colm Daly
Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:26 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: High Court defamation suit
Replies: 26
Views: 5546

Re: High Court defamation suit

Has nobody ever heard of the idea that you shouldn't believe what you read in the papers? This entire story is UNTRUE and wait till next week to see a full apology to both John McMorrow and Andrew Kildea from the Sunday Times. Pete had a stroke not all that long ago and I fear it has badly affected ...
by Colm Daly
Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:09 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Bunratty Chess Festival
Replies: 49
Views: 10211

Re: Bunratty Chess Festival

SNIP The internal politics of the ICU, what grants have or haven't been given to Bunratty and/or other congresses, and the enforcement or otherwise of pre-existing rules on membership for Irish participants in Irish tournaments is ultimately not going to be of much interest to outsiders so I imagin...
by Colm Daly
Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:03 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Bunratty Chess Festival
Replies: 49
Views: 10211

Re: Bunratty Chess Festival

There was an old man who lived in a shoe.
by Colm Daly
Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:52 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Bunratty Chess Festival
Replies: 49
Views: 10211

Re: Bunratty Chess Festival

Would foreigners get any voting rights for their 20 Euros?
Of course they would, full members just paying at an overseas rate.
by Colm Daly
Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:57 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Bunratty Chess Festival
Replies: 49
Views: 10211

Re: Bunratty Chess Festival

Snipped. All is well again.
by Colm Daly
Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:54 pm
Forum: International News
Topic: Norway Chess 2014
Replies: 119
Views: 13485

Re: World Blitz Championship.

Barry Sandercock wrote:Magnus Carlsen now World Champion, World Rapid Champion and World Blitz Champion.
He was lucky! :lol: Never beat a well man etc etc. Oh and you forgot he is number one rated player too.

No end to his luck and these coincidences.
by Colm Daly
Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:34 pm
Forum: International News
Topic: Kasparov vs Ilyumzhinov: the FIDE Presidency battle begins
Replies: 1087
Views: 145001

Re: Kasparov vs Ilyumzhinov: the FIDE Presidency battle begi

I'm not sure the Daly rant is really worth replying to, but there are a number of inconsistencies. The rant expresses any number of negative opinions about the competence of the Irish arbiters. And you know what, de Coverly [Or should that be Roger? I can never tell with these things, but I am gues...
by Colm Daly
Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:05 pm
Forum: International News
Topic: Kasparov vs Ilyumzhinov: the FIDE Presidency battle begins
Replies: 1087
Views: 145001

Re: Kasparov vs Ilyumzhinov: the FIDE Presidency battle begi

I am the ECF Manager of Arbiters (International) and as such I have a duty to seek suitable opportunities for English arbiters. To answer your specific question, I shall not be attending the Tromso Olympiad and Congress in any capacity. I should like to thank those who tried unsuccessfully to enabl...
by Colm Daly
Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:43 pm
Forum: International News
Topic: Kasparov vs Ilyumzhinov: the FIDE Presidency battle begins
Replies: 1087
Views: 145001

Re: Kasparov vs Ilyumzhinov: the FIDE Presidency battle begi

Well the news is in, and it seems that fearing a backlash from it's members and stung by growing irritation by people with a keen interest in the outcome, the ICU has voted in favor of Kasparov! Other good news is that this is the end of me on this thread! ICU website says the following: Forthcoming...
by Colm Daly
Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:56 pm
Forum: International News
Topic: Kasparov vs Ilyumzhinov: the FIDE Presidency battle begins
Replies: 1087
Views: 145001

Re: Kasparov vs Ilyumzhinov: the FIDE Presidency battle begi

Carl Hibbard wrote:Longest post ranting award has been taken.
Award accepted with all due humility.

But I would like thank, especially on this wonderful occasion....... :D

As I say, rants, ants for those who can't

Anyway it has been a while since I had last posted so I was just making up for that.
by Colm Daly
Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:40 pm
Forum: International News
Topic: Kasparov vs Ilyumzhinov: the FIDE Presidency battle begins
Replies: 1087
Views: 145001

Re: Kasparov vs Ilyumzhinov: the FIDE Presidency battle begi

Colm Daly wrote: None of these three arbiters have ever run or been even an assistant at an event outside Ireland! David Sedgwick wrote: In the terminology of the moment, that statement is utter bo**ocks. Gerry Graham was an arbiter at the London Chess Classic Festival 2013. He did an excellent job...
by Colm Daly
Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:40 pm
Forum: International News
Topic: Kasparov vs Ilyumzhinov: the FIDE Presidency battle begins
Replies: 1087
Views: 145001

Re: Kasparov vs Ilyumzhinov: the FIDE Presidency battle begi

The Spraggett story is complete and utter bo**ocks. Ah Yes without doubt one of the best posts I have seen in quite a while. So succinctly put. :D Fu** elegance, eloquence and sophistication, who needs that that sh** anyway. :lol: {Hey can't beat them, might as well join them eh?] :roll: Direct and...
by Colm Daly
Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:02 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Chess row in Cork
Replies: 217
Views: 34176

Re: Chess row in Cork

For the record - on both occasions when players were caught cheating at an e2e4 event the following action was taken 1 - The player was awarded a loss (and the opponent a victory) in the game in question 2 - The player was defaulted in all of his previous games in the event 3 - The player was exclu...