Search found 7 matches
- Wed Apr 29, 2026 12:19 pm
- Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
- Topic: Stuart Niman (1963-2026)
- Replies: 5
- Views: 2958
Re: Stuart Niman (1963-2026)
I was at MGS with Martyn who wrote so well above This was my reaction per MGS Oldmancs email: Thanks for sharing everyone. I'm shocked and upset. Stuart was a magnificent chess player and human being. Just super intelligent and polite and smiling with it. He could have turned professional NQAT. One ...
- Mon Oct 27, 2025 11:00 am
- Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
- Topic: Alan Perkins (1949-2025)
- Replies: 28
- Views: 8886
Re: Alan Perkins (1949-2025)
Alan was my Captain at British Airways in the late 1980s to early 1990s. Super organised and dedicated. One story: we were playing in Luxembourg at an Airline event and his beloved Leeds secured promotion. He called London to find the result. I'd never seen him so happy! RIP Alan, it was a privilege...
- Tue Sep 16, 2025 9:49 am
- Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
- Topic: GM Vlastimil Hort 1944-2025
- Replies: 22
- Views: 6631
Re: GM Vlastimil Hort 1944-2025
We never met, I never physically saw him, but Hort was an inspiration to me as a 12 year old Chess player.
His commentaries on the BBC Master Game still live with me decades later:
"A plan, a plan, a plan. I need a plan"
He was teaching us chess and life without knowing it.
RIP Vlastimil.
His commentaries on the BBC Master Game still live with me decades later:
"A plan, a plan, a plan. I need a plan"
He was teaching us chess and life without knowing it.
RIP Vlastimil.
- Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:09 pm
- Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
- Topic: Adrian Jackson
- Replies: 8
- Views: 3753
Re: Adrian Jackson
No way. I can't believe it. I played with Adrian regularly on the British Airways team in the 1990s based at Heathrow. He was Board 1. We had great trips to Germany, Austria and Iceland together in the ASCA Airline Sports and Cultural Association. Does anyone know the cause of death - he was a fit s...
- Sat May 28, 2016 4:58 pm
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: Lucky Pens
- Replies: 41
- Views: 5158
Re: Lucky Pens
I keep using the same pen until I lose. Then I throw it away.
I have got through 00s of pens...
I have got through 00s of pens...
- Sat May 28, 2016 4:54 pm
- Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
- Topic: Sir Jeremy Morse
- Replies: 21
- Views: 5594
Re: Sir Jeremy Morse
Yes - a great man. RIP.
- Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:25 pm
- Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
- Topic: Neil Carr
- Replies: 13
- Views: 7560
Re: Neil Carr
Sad to hear. I got a hard fought draw with black against Neil in April 1980 at my first England U14 Squad session down in London. I would write my moves down before playing them (now illegal of course) covering them, and he would tell me what I wrote! A chirpy cockney and a brilliant player. Not all...