Search found 131 matches

by Clive Wismayer
Sat Nov 29, 2025 3:39 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: English chess is not moribund
Replies: 19
Views: 8624

Re: English chess is not moribund

Is this the one you are referring to? Names, clock times etc all visible. I think there was live commentary, although I think the commentary is great, but the presentation of the board etc could be better (maybe copying Simon Williams format?). I watched Jones - Gormally this morning. Clock on wron...
by Clive Wismayer
Sat Nov 29, 2025 2:01 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: English chess is not moribund
Replies: 19
Views: 8624

Re: English chess is not moribund

LawrenceCooper wrote: ↑
Sat Nov 29, 2025 12:15 pm
Clive Wismayer wrote: ↑
Sat Nov 29, 2025 8:53 am
OMG! An ECF YouTube channel. Only 2.2K subscribers so I assume it’s new.
The videos on the channel date back to 2014 so I suspect not.
Then that is pathetic & typical ECF. When will people realise chess & the internet were made for each other?
by Clive Wismayer
Sat Nov 29, 2025 2:00 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: English chess is not moribund
Replies: 19
Views: 8624

Re: English chess is not moribund

OMG! An ECF YouTube channel. Only 2.2K subscribers so I assume it’s new. Welcome to the 21st century! A tip when showing blitz - put the clock where the camera can see it. Also, live commentary will add considerably to the appeal. Any old geek will do to begin with (Speelman, say) but sooner or lat...
by Clive Wismayer
Sat Nov 29, 2025 9:11 am
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Hackney Chess Club
Replies: 50
Views: 16442

Re: Hackney Chess Club

Sorry Gerard. Two of the stronger members of the Cheesy Slack Bunch were Dominic Mackle and Bob Eames, who are both playing in the British Championships at the moment. Dominic has moved to Devon and I think he plays for the same team as Andy Dunn. Here is a game you might remember in which Andy Dun...
by Clive Wismayer
Sat Nov 29, 2025 8:53 am
Forum: General Chat
Topic: English chess is not moribund
Replies: 19
Views: 8624

Re: English chess is not moribund

OMG! An ECF YouTube channel. Only 2.2K subscribers so I assume it’s new. Welcome to the 21st century! A tip when showing blitz - put the clock where the camera can see it. Also, live commentary will add considerably to the appeal. Any old geek will do to begin with (Speelman, say) but sooner or late...
by Clive Wismayer
Tue Jun 17, 2025 4:48 am
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Chess Masters: the Endgame
Replies: 530
Views: 246291

Re: Chess Masters: the Endgame

This week we have had the first enquiry at our chess club from someone who claims their interest stems from watching this programme. Let us know in due course whether they stick around. Every new season at my old club used to bring newcomers with no experience beyond playing grandad by the fire & z...
by Clive Wismayer
Tue Jun 17, 2025 4:43 am
Forum: General Chat
Topic: English chess is not moribund
Replies: 19
Views: 8624

English chess is not moribund

It’s funny to show up here from time to time & see what’s not under discussion. The FIDE world rapid & blitz team championship 2025, staged in London with major involvement of the ECF is exactly what I’m looking for. While none of the elite players or teams were English, it’s the sort of thing that ...
by Clive Wismayer
Tue Jun 17, 2025 4:32 am
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Chess Masters: the Endgame
Replies: 530
Views: 246291

Re: Chess Masters: the Endgame

I had been spammed by the producer before the show was broadcast, in an attempt to get me to publicise the show. I sent him my reply today, which was to tell him that it was the worst television I have ever seen, and I asked him never to repeat it. I'm not quite sure if you're being serious, but if...
by Clive Wismayer
Thu Jan 02, 2025 9:05 am
Forum: General Chat
Topic: World open blitz drama
Replies: 14
Views: 1948

Re: World open blitz drama

Christopher Kreuzer wrote: ↑
Thu Jan 02, 2025 8:47 am
I voted for "nothing wrong with co-champions".

This forum (thankfully) is not X/Twitter.
Twitter is a lot more interesting.
by Clive Wismayer
Thu Jan 02, 2025 8:14 am
Forum: General Chat
Topic: World open blitz drama
Replies: 14
Views: 1948

World open blitz drama

I hope the title of this thread passes muster among the hyper-critical here. There is a debate raging on twitter (or X if you prefer) about the agreed division of the title between Magnus & Nepo. The balance of opinion is against them. I’m not among the critics. I watched the whole shebang on the Ta...
by Clive Wismayer
Tue Dec 31, 2024 6:24 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: English chess is moribund
Replies: 300
Views: 26469

Re: English chess is moribund

Why do the opinions of ECF officials matter? I mean, who cares? ‘Poisonous’ is a bit strong imho. Verging on hysterical, actually.
by Clive Wismayer
Tue Dec 31, 2024 5:33 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: English chess is moribund
Replies: 300
Views: 26469

Re: English chess is moribund

If he were Dutch he would be playing in a tournament held in the Netherlands? Wow :lol: Way to miss the point. Wijk is a big tournament that matters, unlike the LCC or Hastings. The Netherlands can offer elite competition to its promising players because it’s a proper chess country, not a fading ba...
by Clive Wismayer
Tue Dec 31, 2024 2:36 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: English chess is moribund
Replies: 300
Views: 26469

Re: English chess is moribund

Are they sacred?
by Clive Wismayer
Tue Dec 31, 2024 12:54 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: English chess is moribund
Replies: 300
Views: 26469

Re: English chess is moribund

Why isn’t Shreyas Royale in New York? 15 & already a 2500 GM. The ECF should have found him a sponsor or paid for his trip itself. One reason is that he didn't meet the rating requirement for an automatic invitation. The players rated at least 2550 in any of the twelve most recent FIDE rating lists...
by Clive Wismayer
Tue Dec 31, 2024 12:23 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: English chess is moribund
Replies: 300
Views: 26469

Re: English chess is moribund

Why isn’t Shreyas Royale in New York? 15 & already a 2500 GM. He did play at the London Chess Classic, and it was clearly a step up for him. Even with your exaggeration for trolling effect, I doubt you would be prepared to call players such as Vidit or Mamedyarov as "third-rate," even if you wish t...