Search found 31 matches
- Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:53 pm
- Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
- Topic: George Ellison RIP
- Replies: 23
- Views: 8186
Re: George Ellison RIP
I logged on here yesterday, only to discover this news, and could not find any words that didn't bring me to tears. I met George when I was 8 years old, some 20 years ago. He was an occasional substitute teacher at my primary school and ran the chess club there. A more approachable and pleasant man ...
- Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:27 pm
- Forum: Not Chess!
- Topic: Nice bit of maths on the BBC
- Replies: 36
- Views: 4806
Re: Nice bit of maths on the BBC
The easiest way I find of thinking about it is using a flow chart to map out the six options. Say the car is behind door A Pick A > Swap > Goat Pick A > Stick > Car Pick B > Swap > Car Pick B > Stick > Goat Pick C > Swap > Car Pick C > Stick > Goat So by always swapping you win 2/3 times. Simple, ri...
- Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:51 pm
- Forum: Not Chess!
- Topic: NFL Fantasy Football
- Replies: 146
- Views: 40519
Re: NFL Fantasy Football
It seems that after two weeks we will only have one team on a perfect record. Well done to Ben Purton and the Sambuca Sharks. The aptly named Go Browns are yet to make their mark. The Browns might be awful, but I'd make them 7 point favourites over the Jaguars right now. 11 points scored in two gam...
- Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:42 pm
- Forum: Not Chess!
- Topic: NFL Fantasy Football
- Replies: 146
- Views: 40519
Re: NFL Fantasy Football
D'oh. Just did a bit of research, and found out there are 2 Gronkowskis as well as the Mannings. Would serve me right if I picked the wrong Gronkowski to go with the wrong Manning. You may have got the wrong Gronkowski, but you definitely got the right Manning. Sporting of you to play a man down bu...
- Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:58 pm
- Forum: Not Chess!
- Topic: NFL Fantasy Football
- Replies: 146
- Views: 40519
Re: NFL Fantasy Football
Am I doing well? Hadn't realised the season had started. :lol: Denver Broncos beat Baltimore Ravens 49-27 last night, and your QB, Peyton Manning, threw 7 TD passes, tying an NFL record. More importantly, he also threw for 462.8 yards, earning you 46.28 points. It would appear that the Ravens are m...
- Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:30 pm
- Forum: Not Chess!
- Topic: NFL Fantasy Football
- Replies: 146
- Views: 40519
Re: NFL Fantasy Football
Yeah I'm quite happy, might need a TE for the first couple of weeks, I didn't realise Gronk wouldn't be back for the start of the season 
- Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:26 pm
- Forum: Not Chess!
- Topic: NFL Fantasy Football
- Replies: 146
- Views: 40519
Re: NFL Fantasy Football
it was certainly speedy!
- Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:23 pm
- Forum: Not Chess!
- Topic: NFL Fantasy Football
- Replies: 146
- Views: 40519
Re: NFL Fantasy Football
Just getting home, I'll be logged in shortly.
- Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:56 pm
- Forum: International News
- Topic: Tromso World Cup 2013
- Replies: 277
- Views: 30770
Re: Tromso World Cup 2013
The official rules are in reference [2] of that article and confirm the statement about qualifying by rating.Still, someone could have made that up. Really, you want to refer to the actual rules as published by FIDE.
- Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:50 am
- Forum: Not Chess!
- Topic: NFL Fantasy Football
- Replies: 146
- Views: 40519
Re: NFL Fantasy Football
I know I'm not exactly a regular here but I've joined so your league is filled.
- Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:04 pm
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: Does your play improve with alcohol consumption?
- Replies: 29
- Views: 5483
Re: Does your play improve with alcohol consumption?
My standard of play is definitely inversely proportional to the amount of alcohol consumed. I just lose all motivation to calculate, and I'm much more likely to say to myself "stuff it, let's see if it works". It often doesn't!
- Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:45 pm
- Forum: International News
- Topic: Tromso World Cup 2013
- Replies: 277
- Views: 30770
Re: Tromso World Cup 2013
Caruana or Grischuk can qualify at the expense of Mamedyarov if they win the last grand prix event outright, and there's a wildcard entry yet to be decided.
- Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:37 pm
- Forum: International News
- Topic: Tromso World Cup 2013
- Replies: 277
- Views: 30770
Re: Tromso World Cup 2013
Caruana is the luckiest guy alive. Take a look at his game, white v. Malakhov in Rd 3.3. After 61. Kb6, Houdini was giving (-23.7) and flagging 61...Rf6+. But Malakhov, doubtless under colossal time pressure in an awkward position, tried 61...Qd4+ instead (0.00); and went on to lose! In Rd 3.4, pre...
- Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:33 pm
- Forum: International News
- Topic: Tromso World Cup 2013
- Replies: 277
- Views: 30770
Re: Tromso World Cup 2013
Shirov levels
- Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:53 pm
- Forum: International News
- Topic: Tromso World Cup 2013
- Replies: 277
- Views: 30770
Re: Tromso World Cup 2013
well that was fast, even for a rapid game!