Search found 66 matches

by Andrew Collins
Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:20 pm
Forum: International News
Topic: Carlsen - Anand 2014
Replies: 414
Views: 62808

Re: Carlsen - Anand 2014

Clive Blackburn wrote:Has anybody calculated what Carlsen's FIDE rating will be now?
http://2700chess.com/
by Andrew Collins
Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:20 pm
Forum: Congress Diary
Topic: SECOND WITNEY WEEKEND CONGRESS 18-19 OCTOBER 2014
Replies: 5
Views: 2848

Re: SECOND WITNEY WEEKEND CONGRESS 18-19 OCTOBER 2014

If anyone that is entering might be in a position to offer me a lift from Witney town centre to the playing venue on the Saturday Morning, or from the playing venue back to somewhere near oxford city centre on the Sunday after the tournament finishes please send me a message,

thank you
by Andrew Collins
Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:45 pm
Forum: Chess Questions
Topic: Draw by repetition
Replies: 19
Views: 5895

Re: Draw by repetition

mine was a draw, although it was no bother, I could have happily played on, although I think my opponent would have tried to play all night until I made a fatal mistake :D as to why he didn't agree it was a draw, good question, he didn't attempt to dispute the position had been repeated 3 times, he ...
by Andrew Collins
Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:56 pm
Forum: Chess Questions
Topic: Draw by repetition
Replies: 19
Views: 5895

Re: Draw by repetition

]The correct process is to write the intended move on the scoresheet without making it on the board, and then stop the clock and call the arbiter... Although normally you wouldn’t have to call the arbiter, I have twice had opponents (guys evidently of many years if not decades of tournament experie...
by Andrew Collins
Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:16 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: We're goin' to Vegas!!!
Replies: 68
Views: 12634

Re: We're goin' to Vegas!!!

I just had a look on the Millionaire chess site, and clicked the registration link, and it seems to be asking for payment details, so looks like they are asking people to pay now!
by Andrew Collins
Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:26 pm
Forum: International News
Topic: Sinquefield Cup 9-15 September 2015
Replies: 14
Views: 4179

Re: Sinquefield Cup 9-15 September 2015

I don't seem to be able to find the pairings anywhere, does anyone know, what matchups have I got to look forward to tomorrow evening...?

(just found them, on the us chess champs site)
by Andrew Collins
Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:27 pm
Forum: International News
Topic: Tromso World Cup 2013
Replies: 277
Views: 30697

Re: Tromso World Cup 2013

No rest for Adams tomorrow then, never heard of his opponent, I wonder what his strategy will be tommorow
by Andrew Collins
Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:18 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: 2013 British Chess Championships (Torquay)
Replies: 777
Views: 70481

Re: 2013 British Chess Championships (Torquay)

Doesn't Ghasi need to draw to keep his GM norm alive, difficult position, needs accurate play, I'm not surprised he is thinking
by Andrew Collins
Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:45 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: 2013 British Chess Championships (Torquay)
Replies: 777
Views: 70481

Re: 2013 British Chess Championships (Torquay)

No go ahead, the comment I read was regarding a table base anyway

(In fact at this precise moment, its looking a lot clearer)
by Andrew Collins
Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:40 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: 2013 British Chess Championships (Torquay)
Replies: 777
Views: 70481

Re: 2013 British Chess Championships (Torquay)

JustinHorton wrote:Are we keeping Nalimov-consulting comments off here to not ruin it for people?
I have read a comment elsewhere, however specifically haven't switched my engine on, I'd like to try and understand what's going on myself
by Andrew Collins
Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:29 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: 2013 British Chess Championships (Torquay)
Replies: 777
Views: 70481

Re: 2013 British Chess Championships (Torquay)

only 2 pawns up now, might be winning who knows, but if it is, no doubt it requires very good technique particularly with the split pawns
by Andrew Collins
Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:32 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: 2013 British Chess Championships (Torquay)
Replies: 777
Views: 70481

Re: 2013 British Chess Championships (Torquay)

I can see people on the Webcam Starting play, don't all games start at 3pm? I suppose evidently not (hmm I'm beginning to maybe feel a bit foolish here, have the games been starting at 2.30pm every day?) I see that I've failed to notice missing the first half hour of play every day, no wonder I've y...
by Andrew Collins
Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:25 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: 2013 British Chess Championships (Torquay)
Replies: 777
Views: 70481

Re: 2013 British Chess Championships (Torquay)

It just goes to show sometimes how fascinating the 'simplest' at least in terms of amount of material, some endings can be. I like to regularly practice drilling a list of relatively simple Drawn/Winning endgames. Although the downside of Defending against the computer is that it doesn't pick what a...
by Andrew Collins
Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:07 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: 2013 British Chess Championships (Torquay)
Replies: 777
Views: 70481

Re: 2013 British Chess Championships (Torquay)

looks like Keith has done it to my untrained eye, I can't see any way to hold now, I think it is like people were discussing the other day, a few inaccuracies and the defensive task is suddenly more difficult because it requires being a lot more accurate.
by Andrew Collins
Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:29 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: 2013 British Chess Championships (Torquay)
Replies: 777
Views: 70481

Re: 2013 British Chess Championships (Torquay)

I've just taken a look at Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual there is a couple of pages devoted to this topic. Although no exact similar examples