Search found 9 matches

by Lorin D'Costa
Sat Aug 01, 2026 9:41 am
Forum: 4NCL
Topic: 4NCL 2025-26 Division Two
Replies: 100
Views: 19823

Re: 4NCL 2025-26 Division Two

Raising the situation this late in the day after a consultation occurred earlier in the year seems a little strange considering their expectations/aims were to get promoted to the top division when the team was created, so they have had plenty of time to lobby for rule changes It should not be the ...
by Lorin D'Costa
Sat May 10, 2025 12:47 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: England football international wins chess tournament.
Replies: 96
Views: 25256

Re: England football international wins chess tournament.

As a Crystal Palace supporter since 1938, I watched Eze's Pogchamps final on chess.com. I would estimate him about 1200 strength, though he has a good eye for tactical opportunities. He was totally lost in the second game, but his opponent panicked in time pressure and allowed a queen-rook check an...
by Lorin D'Costa
Mon Dec 09, 2024 11:44 am
Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
Topic: IM Adam Hunt 1980-2024
Replies: 37
Views: 17224

Re: IM Adam Hunt 1980-2024

Harriet I am so sorry to hear this news. Reading some of the comments, particularly from Andrew Greet and Jonathan Rogers, I can resonate with what has been said by them. I was with Jonathan on a particular 4NCL Saturday evening. Adam saw the Barbican team playing blitz, and asked to join in. Having...
by Lorin D'Costa
Wed Oct 30, 2024 11:34 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: English chess is moribund
Replies: 300
Views: 27395

Re: English chess is moribund

Well I found the SPTW site, thx for the reference. I note: • it is not integral to the ECF but separate • the ECF ‘supports’ SPTW • the ECF does not support SPTW enough to bother with a link on its own web-site • the focus of SPTW is on girls, it does not address the fall off on maturity • SPTW, li...
by Lorin D'Costa
Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:38 pm
Forum: 4NCL
Topic: Division Four 2022-23
Replies: 45
Views: 28191

Re: Division Four 2022-23

I have two extra twin rooms for Mercure Daventry this weekend. Anyone interested in having them please write to me:
https://www.sheplaystowin.co.uk/contact-us
by Lorin D'Costa
Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:35 pm
Forum: Women's Chess
Topic: She Plays to Win 2023
Replies: 5
Views: 5905

Re: She Plays to Win 2023

Well done to Geoff, for providing the report and photo above. I had clicked a few minutes earlier on 'Information' at the chess24 site and got sent (on a direct link) to the SPTW website. Once there however, I couldn't find a single mention of this event. I tried under Latest News, News, More News ...
by Lorin D'Costa
Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:22 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: What's new in English Women's Chess
Replies: 60
Views: 16780

Re: What's new in English Women's Chess

Big thanks to Lorin for his SPTW activity. He helps more than 500 girls in their chess growth. It has a double value if this activity is done by the coach of the women's national team. For me it starts to smell like a medal from ETCC . SPTW has a big spectrum of activities. Is it possible for the S...
by Lorin D'Costa
Sat May 14, 2022 10:39 am
Forum: General Chat
Topic: What's new in English Women's Chess
Replies: 60
Views: 16780

Re: What's new in English Women's Chess

I ordered a copy of Chess Queens for my daughter today. Jennifer Shahade’s latest. I believe there should be a chapter on Vera Menchik and many others. I found it as nearly new second hand on Amazon hardbacks for under £8, so somebody read it quick! https://www.newinchess.com/chess-queens-hc There ...
by Lorin D'Costa
Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:44 pm
Forum: ECF Matters
Topic: British Championship Congress 2019
Replies: 553
Views: 99618

Re: British Championship Congress 2019

Hi all, I would like to go on record with the events that happened today in the British Championships during the round 6 game. During my game with Charlie Storey, I went out to the adjacent room to purchase a cup of tea. When I got back, an arbiter accosted me and asked if I had my phone in my draws...