Search found 17 matches
- Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:50 pm
- Forum: Junior Chess
- Topic: End game studies & problems composing
- Replies: 4
- Views: 1850
Re: End game studies & problems composing
I am sure that the British Chess Problem Society would be interested in this youngster. May I suggest that somebody contact our studies sub-editor Yochanan Afek? He can be contacted via the 'Contact' page of our website at: http://www.theproblemist.org/contacts Yochanan will be able to judge the qua...
- Fri May 16, 2014 2:29 pm
- Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
- Topic: Paul Valois (1946-2014)
- Replies: 2
- Views: 2283
Paul Valois (1946-2014)
Paul Valois, my good friend and fellow chess problemist, has died suddenly:
http://www.theproblemist.org/news/104-2 ... 6-12052014
http://www.theproblemist.org/news/104-2 ... 6-12052014
- Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:16 pm
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: Winton Capital British Chess Solving Champonship
- Replies: 0
- Views: 617
Winton Capital British Chess Solving Champonship
Colin McNab has won the 2012-2013 Winton Capital British Chess Solving Championship ahead of the current World Solving Champion and two former World Solving Champions. Follow the links from http://www.bstephen.me.uk.
- Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:23 am
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: It's a small world!
- Replies: 6
- Views: 1442
Re: It's a small world!
I'd say that must have been chess problemist Jim Grevatt, though I didn't know he played table tennis! Was it William Hartston that took over?
- Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:21 am
- Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
- Topic: Milan Velimirovic
- Replies: 0
- Views: 1451
Milan Velimirovic
One of the World's few double GMs, Milan Velimirovic, died yesterday. I've just posted a brief obituary (by Michael McDowell) at http://www.theproblemist.org/news/96-2013/189-rip-milan-velimiroviacacute-21041952-25022013 . I met Milan several times over the last twenty years. He was a very strong (G...
- Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:01 pm
- Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
- Topic: Chris Reeves
- Replies: 3
- Views: 2397
Re: Chris Reeves
I've now posted an obituary on the BCPS website:
http://www.theproblemist.org/news/67-20 ... 39-3122012
I endorse everything David Shire says in the obituary. Chris was one of the nicest people I ever met and I shall miss him greatly.
http://www.theproblemist.org/news/67-20 ... 39-3122012
I endorse everything David Shire says in the obituary. Chris was one of the nicest people I ever met and I shall miss him greatly.
- Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:59 pm
- Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
- Topic: Chris Reeves
- Replies: 3
- Views: 2397
Re: Chris Reeves
I saw this name only this week, I think as the editor of Chess magazine in 1988? Is that the same Chris Reeves and are they any relation to Rachel Reeves? Two different people. Just looked at CHESS for April 1988. It says, and I remember it well, that Paul Lamford was the editor. However, a certain...
- Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:29 am
- Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
- Topic: Chris Reeves
- Replies: 3
- Views: 2397
Chris Reeves
With the sudden death of Chris Reeves ('mate in 2' sub-editor of The Problemist) on 3rd December, the British Chess Problem Society has suffered its second major loss of the year. A short obituary will appear on the BCPS website shortly.
- Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:28 pm
- Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
- Topic: Tony Lewis
- Replies: 2
- Views: 2106
Tony Lewis
British chess composer and solver Tony Lewis has died. I have just posted a brief obituary - http://www.theproblemist.org/news/67-20 ... -1933-2012
- Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:21 am
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: Most Recent British Grandmaster
- Replies: 6
- Views: 1793
Re: Most Recent British Grandmaster
I have just posted a notice of Christopher's GM title on the BCPS website. It links to a short biography of Christopher and to some helpmates by him:
http://www.theproblemist.org/news/67-20 ... randmaster
http://www.theproblemist.org/news/67-20 ... randmaster
- Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:09 am
- Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
- Topic: John Coward
- Replies: 0
- Views: 3440
John Coward
British chess solver/composer John Coward has died:
http://www.theproblemist.org/news/67-20 ... ohn-coward
http://www.theproblemist.org/news/67-20 ... ohn-coward
- Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:45 pm
- Forum: Chess Questions
- Topic: Kasparyan study
- Replies: 9
- Views: 3366
Re: Kasparyan study
This Kasparyan study, without the pawn on g3, won 1st Prize in New Statesman , 1962-1963. It is intended to be a draw, and, in 1963, it was. However, advances in endgames theory have shown it to have no solution. The composer's solution is: 1. Nb2+ Ka5 (1... cxb2 2. Bd2 b1=Q+ (2... Bd3+ 3. Kxb2 Bf6+...
- Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:12 pm
- Forum: Chess History
- Topic: CHESS magazine for 1938
- Replies: 7
- Views: 2282
Re: CHESS magazine for 1938
Yes ...
- Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:27 pm
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: Your favourite endgame studies
- Replies: 9
- Views: 2418
Re: Your favourite endgame studies
Jack You say: "Studies aren't problems. Duals are fine if they occur after the critical position." In the 19th Century, in the English school of chess composition at least, duals in problems were almost always considered flaws. Other schools of composition had different views. In the years since the...
- Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:43 pm
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: Your favourite endgame studies
- Replies: 9
- Views: 2418
Re: Your favourite endgame studies
Jack
Concerning the first study you posted on this thread. As has been stated elsewhere, this is by Gorgiev and dates from 1936. It is indeed very nice, but there is a flaw in that 7.Rxh3+ also wins. Perhaps in 1936 they didn't know that QvR is normally a win?
Concerning the first study you posted on this thread. As has been stated elsewhere, this is by Gorgiev and dates from 1936. It is indeed very nice, but there is a flaw in that 7.Rxh3+ also wins. Perhaps in 1936 they didn't know that QvR is normally a win?