Search found 47 matches

by Kirk Gornall
Sat May 31, 2025 12:18 am
Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
Topic: Tim Dickinson
Replies: 24
Views: 8340

Re: Tim Dickinson

Awful news. I remember Tim from the East Lancashire Chess League back in the early to mid 90s, where he played for Great Harwood Chess Club. He was a great player and clearly very intelligent. RIP.
by Kirk Gornall
Wed Sep 11, 2024 6:59 pm
Forum: International News
Topic: 2024 Olympiad
Replies: 325
Views: 40780

Re: 2024 Olympiad

Is Mamedyarov really on board 4 for Azerbaijan. The opening round seemingly sees him paired on board 4 with an untitled below 2000 rated opponent. England's opening opponents have a wide rating range, with David black against 2500+ opposition and Luke paired with someone circa 800 points lower! The...
by Kirk Gornall
Wed Sep 11, 2024 6:54 pm
Forum: International News
Topic: 2024 Olympiad
Replies: 325
Views: 40780

Re: 2024 Olympiad

Kirk Gornall wrote: ↑
Wed Sep 11, 2024 6:51 pm
Not sure what is happening on the Vitiugov board. Did his opponent not show up?
Never mind, I see some moves now. Maybe it was a technical issue with the board.
by Kirk Gornall
Wed Sep 11, 2024 6:51 pm
Forum: International News
Topic: 2024 Olympiad
Replies: 325
Views: 40780

Re: 2024 Olympiad

Not sure what is happening on the Vitiugov board. Did his opponent not show up?
by Kirk Gornall
Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:11 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Chess and Pension Fraud - allegation
Replies: 248
Views: 85040

Re: Chess and Pension Fraud - allegation

‘The Mastermind’ and ‘The Patsy’ still looking fairly pally 3 years after the Insolvency Service burned Quillan’s companies to the ground; https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu6fkx37_JM&pp=ygUMR2FyeSBxdWlsbGFu https://www.thebusinessdesk.com/northwest/news/2049149-multimillion-pound-pension-liberation-b...
by Kirk Gornall
Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:25 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Chess and Pension Fraud - allegation
Replies: 248
Views: 85040

Re: Chess and Pension Fraud - allegation

So to appeal it, is it correct he doesn’t have an automatic right, but has to apply to the High Court to get permission to appeal on compelling grounds? And none of that stops the judgement being carried out unless the High Court rule it should be paused. So the 24th Oct remains a deadline to pay. ...
by Kirk Gornall
Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:48 am
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Chess and Pension Fraud - allegation
Replies: 248
Views: 85040

Re: Chess and Pension Fraud - allegation

Full determination by the pensions ombudsman, quite a lengthy and eye opening document. I feel sorry for those investors who were misled and lost their money. According to the determination ('Putting things right' on page 119), Simon has 28 days from the date of the determination (21st September 202...
by Kirk Gornall
Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:09 am
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Accusation against Alejandro Ramirez
Replies: 509
Views: 67289

Re: Accusation against Alejandro Ramirez

This news article appeared on chess.com today. I wonder what the response will be from the ECF, if there is any. It is a sad state of affairs.

https://www.chess.com/news/view/chevann ... t-misogyny
by Kirk Gornall
Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:29 pm
Forum: Not Chess!
Topic: Andrew Tate and Emory Tate
Replies: 6
Views: 7767

Re: Andrew Tate and Emory Tate

Good God! I last saw Emory Tate at an Open in Mallorca about ten years ago. He was one of my opponents in a simul I gave in Bedford in 1982. But I got to know him better at Ali Amin´s London café Chequers in 1984. He and another US Military guy drove me back to Bedford. It was pretty much understoo...
by Kirk Gornall
Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:10 pm
Forum: Congress Diary
Topic: British Championship 2023
Replies: 339
Views: 53529

Re: British Championship 2023

Simon Brown wrote: ↑
Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:36 pm
The commentary from Danny and Adam was first-rate as well.
I agree. It was very entertaining!
by Kirk Gornall
Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:13 pm
Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
Topic: Jon Burgess
Replies: 7
Views: 3719

Re: Jon Burgess

I know it's been over 10 years, but still is very sad news. I remember playing Jon at the Chorley Chess Congress back in the early 90s. The other day, I was going through his win against GM Shulman from the Chicago Open back in 2004. It was a remarkable attacking display and it really made an impres...
by Kirk Gornall
Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:58 pm
Forum: International News
Topic: World championship match in Astana
Replies: 355
Views: 40909

Re: World championship match in Astana

I am somewhat underwhelmed and apathetic at the prospect of this upcoming world championship match. No matter who wins it, we all know that they are not the best player in the world. Do you sometimes feel similarly about the World Cup final? To avoid confusion, football not chess! Well if Brazil or...
by Kirk Gornall
Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:11 pm
Forum: International News
Topic: World championship match in Astana
Replies: 355
Views: 40909

Re: World championship match in Astana

I am somewhat underwhelmed and apathetic at the prospect of this upcoming world championship match. No matter who wins it, we all know that they are not the best player in the world. I understand that Magnus chose not to defend his title, but part of me wonders whether FIDE could have worked with Ma...
by Kirk Gornall
Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:46 pm
Forum: Seniors Chess
Topic: World Senior Chess Championship 14 – 27 November 2022 Assisi – Umbria Italy
Replies: 73
Views: 38535

Re: World Senior Chess Championship 14 – 27 November 2022 Assisi – Umbria Italy

British Chess seems to be on the up. Lots of up and coming younger players with potential to become GMs, as well as the older generation performing at a high level, with their vast wisdom. I'm not sure how much teaching of knowledge goes on between the two generations. It would be great to see some ...
by Kirk Gornall
Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:50 pm
Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
Topic: Graham Lilley
Replies: 7
Views: 4561

Re: Graham Lilley

Very sad. I played Graham a few times at chess tournaments in the North West of England back in the 90s. He was a strong player.