Search found 3 matches

by timothy jones
Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:58 pm
Forum: Chess History
Topic: Tim Jones of the Times
Replies: 12
Views: 4995

Re: Tim Jones of the Times

Sadly, David Spanier died at too young an age of a heart attack but not as young as another "chess expert" who was also there - namely David Young of the Daily Mail who fell off a mountain in Scotland. How many hacks were there? Hard to say but the were as thick as leaves on the ground following an ...
by timothy jones
Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:14 am
Forum: Chess History
Topic: Tim Jones of the Times
Replies: 12
Views: 4995

Re: Tim Jones of the Times

In Iceland I shared a flat with the great Golombek who did not take kindly to my boozing and general pursuit of the beautiful Icelandic women. I do not think David Spanier was ever there because we played many games of chess together when we were on The Times and I usually got the better of him whic...
by timothy jones
Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:04 am
Forum: Chess History
Topic: Tim Jones of the Times
Replies: 12
Views: 4995

Re: Tim Jones of the Times

I am indeed the Tim Jones referred to, enjoying gentle retirement in Marlow and playing for the Borne End chess club. Simon Hoggart is quite right in stating I could not find worthy opponents during my wild and drunken days in Fleet Street. But it was hardly a challenge for as they say: "In the land...