Search found 3187 matches
- Wed Sep 30, 2026 9:07 am
- Forum: YCA
- Topic: Yorkshire league 2026/7 Season
- Replies: 10
- Views: 736
Re: Yorkshire league 2026/7 Season
I have only been back playing for 7 years so interesting to see how strong the teams were previously. I was basing it on my experience since returning and was perhaps influenced by the strength of Ilkley. Also some of the other teams look much stronger than previous years. Going to be a tight seaso...
- Wed Sep 23, 2026 4:54 pm
- Forum: International News
- Topic: 2026 Chess Olympiad
- Replies: 646
- Views: 26187
Re: 2026 Chess Olympiad
He moved his queen 3 tines in the opening and it ended up on e1. The first two of those were absolutely automatic though. Qd2 -> e3 is rather normal (sometimes f2 etc I guess) and the top computer move there. Qe3 -> e1 is as good a retreat as anything, it seems. Going in for Nc6, Qc5 etc as the com...
- Wed Sep 23, 2026 4:35 pm
- Forum: International News
- Topic: 2026 Chess Olympiad
- Replies: 646
- Views: 26187
Re: 2026 Chess Olympiad
There's isn't. I'm not sure he even played that badly to be honest - it looked like a classical position somehow turned from normal to totally horrible without him even doing anything obviously wrong, let alone blundering. Some of the online computer ideas for white are very unnatural. He dropped t...
- Wed Sep 23, 2026 3:32 pm
- Forum: International News
- Topic: 2026 Chess Olympiad
- Replies: 646
- Views: 26187
Re: 2026 Chess Olympiad
There's isn't.
I'm not sure he even played that badly to be honest - it looked like a classical position somehow turned from normal to totally horrible without him even doing anything obviously wrong, let alone blundering.
Some of the online computer ideas for white are very unnatural.
I'm not sure he even played that badly to be honest - it looked like a classical position somehow turned from normal to totally horrible without him even doing anything obviously wrong, let alone blundering.
Some of the online computer ideas for white are very unnatural.
- Mon Sep 21, 2026 5:20 pm
- Forum: YCA
- Topic: Yorkshire league 2026/7 Season
- Replies: 10
- Views: 736
Re: Yorkshire league 2026/7 Season
The league does seem to be getting stronger and stronger. Nearly all the teams on Saturday were clearly over 16000 combined. I wonder how it compares with other seasons. Ok, right I've found it. I was sure I'd done it - I scraped chessnuts back when Jon G was running it. Unlike the current (basical...
- Mon Sep 21, 2026 9:08 am
- Forum: YCA
- Topic: Yorkshire league 2026/7 Season
- Replies: 10
- Views: 736
Re: Yorkshire league 2026/7 Season
A fine effort from you it was too :) I've only very rarely lost in these big team matches but Julian just took me to pieces. I obviously prefer to remember our 7-1 win from the season after! For some reason we seemed to keep alternating alarmingly big wins and tight losses/draws vs Bradford, the She...
- Sun Sep 20, 2026 12:14 pm
- Forum: YCA
- Topic: Yorkshire league 2026/7 Season
- Replies: 10
- Views: 736
Re: Yorkshire league 2026/7 Season
The league does seem to be getting stronger and stronger. Nearly all the teams on Saturday were clearly over 16000 combined. I wonder how it compares with other seasons. Well on a short term basis it's quite easy to track: firmly up :) Doncaster + 3 x ~2100's from Lincolnshire (?) were a considerab...
- Mon Sep 14, 2026 5:58 pm
- Forum: YCA
- Topic: Yorkshire league 2026/7 Season
- Replies: 10
- Views: 736
Re: Yorkshire league 2026/7 Season
Yes for HDCA. Crystal was working and could not make it. Due to the trains been out at Huddersfield, we could not get Alan to Doncaster, so he played for our B team this round. With three teams, drivers are a god send! They are! One day they'll stop messing with Huddersfield station, it must be qui...
- Sun Sep 13, 2026 8:50 pm
- Forum: YCA
- Topic: Yorkshire league 2026/7 Season
- Replies: 10
- Views: 736
Yorkshire league 2026/7 Season
Off we went again last Saturday. York had two captains and various players on holiday but won very well vs Bradford who have - recruiting Phil Watson - continued to morph into Bradford central redux. (Still issues lower down though, are Ilkley et al basically eating their younger players?). Huddersf...
- Mon Sep 07, 2026 7:09 am
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: Chess & Bridge shop relocation
- Replies: 32
- Views: 10708
Re: Chess & Bridge shop relocation
Veering even further slightly off topic: unless I'm mistaken, there's been much more fiction with a chess background than there has with bridge. In the latter category I can recall seeing only one novel ( Trick Thirteen , by Terence Reese and Jeremy Flint), although according to a review on Amazon,...
- Sun Sep 06, 2026 8:42 am
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: Chess & Bridge shop relocation
- Replies: 32
- Views: 10708
Re: Chess & Bridge shop relocation
Come to think it might simply be that they had to stop running Bridge magazine - which of course says something in it's own right!
(In fact I think that even the American anologue has stopped.).
(In fact I think that even the American anologue has stopped.).
- Fri Sep 04, 2026 6:45 pm
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: Chess & Bridge shop relocation
- Replies: 32
- Views: 10708
Re: Chess & Bridge shop relocation
Excellent news
I hope they haven't dropped the bridge books entirely - those can be even harder to get hold of.
(For some reason, despite the maybe larger player base, I don't get the impression that Bridge books sell remotely as well as chess ones.).
I hope they haven't dropped the bridge books entirely - those can be even harder to get hold of.
(For some reason, despite the maybe larger player base, I don't get the impression that Bridge books sell remotely as well as chess ones.).
- Thu Sep 03, 2026 4:05 pm
- Forum: County Championships
- Topic: Manchester in the NCCU
- Replies: 111
- Views: 53323
Re: Manchester in the NCCU
Starting to plot this seasons efforts it seems - am I allowed to be gently terrified of the prospect on an entire team of Northumberland juniors in the U2050's?
- Fri Aug 28, 2026 8:46 am
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: Unbeaten runs
- Replies: 15
- Views: 1422
Re: Unbeaten runs
Very impressive :) Down another level, I do wonder what sort of unbeaten runs some amateurs around 21-2200 might have managed. Pre 4NCL, or if not playing it/congresses, they were typically only really threatened in a handful of games a season. Probably we just don't have databases/electronic results.
- Wed Jul 15, 2026 9:11 am
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: Team selection
- Replies: 46
- Views: 13119
Re: Team selection
What happens if you don't follow them and play lower rated players above higher rated ones? Automatic mass defaults in the 4NCL, so no one does it! (On purpose that is, I imagine a few accidents have slipped through over the years.). In other leagues the rules tend to be rather vaguer, and you don'...