Search found 4 matches

by Edward Dearing
Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:24 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: 129th Varsity Match.
Replies: 117
Views: 13457

Re: 129th Varsity Match.

Re. 4NCL, I get tired of the point being made that the Cambridge University team isn't restricted in terms of membership. Membership is (and has always been) either because of a connection to Cambridge Uni, or by invitation. The invitation element is possible because a lot of current Cambridge stude...
by Edward Dearing
Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:39 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: 129th Varsity Match.
Replies: 117
Views: 13457

Re: 129th Varsity Match.

The view was taken that internal matches (e.g. Peterhouse v. Pembroke) wouldn't count. They would have to be against a non-University team. It's a clever trick as it doesn't affect current student as they qualify on residence in any case. That was why there was so much outrage from the Cambridge tea...
by Edward Dearing
Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:22 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: 129th Varsity Match.
Replies: 117
Views: 13457

Re: 129th Varsity Match.

Just responding to Jonathan Rogers point about qualifying to play for the county. Jonathan, I suspect you are not aware of all of the facts. Firstly, changing the rules to require you to play a match in an intra county league doesn't make much sense for Cambridge. The league is tiny and is made up a...
by Edward Dearing
Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:34 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: 129th Varsity Match.
Replies: 117
Views: 13457

Re: 129th Varsity Match.

If I may interject, I did play for Cambridge in 2000 in the county championship, and it was a bit controversial, as I was registered with Writtle (in Essex) and had always played for Essex in the past (but had not done so that season). That said, I had moved schools for sixth form (new school was in...