Search found 22 matches

by Jaimie Wilson
Tue Sep 09, 2025 4:44 pm
Forum: ECF Matters
Topic: 2025 UK Open Blitz
Replies: 30
Views: 13920

Re: 2025 UK Open Blitz

On the plus side, I very much welcome the tournament being expanded to more parts of the country. This is excellent if you don't live in or near a big city.
by Jaimie Wilson
Wed Jul 23, 2025 3:26 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: New English Grandmaster
Replies: 18
Views: 9229

Re: New English Grandmaster

Congratulations to Matthew J! My claim to fame is finding his scoresheet on a pavement in Hastings and passing it on the next day.
by Jaimie Wilson
Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:15 pm
Forum: ECF Matters
Topic: More game fee questions
Replies: 6
Views: 5629

Re: More game fee questions

Thank you for your responses. I guess we'll see how it pans out!
by Jaimie Wilson
Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:59 pm
Forum: ECF Matters
Topic: More game fee questions
Replies: 6
Views: 5629

Re: More game fee questions

I have a related query which makes me quite concerned about this 30th of June thing, with reference to the introduced rolling ECF memberships. The 'pay to play and game fee 2023/24' page' clarifies that the 30th of June 2024 is the date that covers a player for game fee purposes in the 2023/24 seaso...
by Jaimie Wilson
Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:59 am
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Accusation against Alejandro Ramirez
Replies: 509
Views: 66977

Re: Accusation against Alejandro Ramirez

My heart goes out to Sabrina, Jennifer, and all victims out there. You are so courageous and your voices are powerful. These horrifying accounts illustrate how we have a collective duty to ensure chess is a safe space for everyone.
by Jaimie Wilson
Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:45 pm
Forum: 4NCL
Topic: Division Four 2022-23
Replies: 45
Views: 27804

Re: Division Four 2022-23

Joey Stewart wrote: ↑
Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:59 pm
And speaking of defaulting I was surprised to see Wessex 2 reappear after missing the first two weekends but still two players short - I had thought they had been expelled from the league already
Reports of Wessex's demise have been greatly exaggerated. 8)
by Jaimie Wilson
Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:31 pm
Forum: Women's Chess
Topic: 1ST CAPLIN MENCHIK MEMORIAL
Replies: 18
Views: 6503

Re: 1ST CAPLIN MENCHIK MEMORIAL

Well done to everyone involved for making this tournament happen. It pleases me greatly to see women's chess on the up.

According to Chess24, Kamila's round 2 game was already over before the other games had started. I'm sure there was a good reason for that!
by Jaimie Wilson
Tue May 12, 2020 6:43 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: British Blitz Championships
Replies: 86
Views: 10500

Re: British Blitz Championships

Well I thought the event was a lot of fun. Overall, I'm quite relaxed and enjoying the little bit of normality events like this and 4NCL Online are providing. One thing that does worry me is this issue of 'false positives' which innocent people can potentially get caught up in. I'm not sure how ofte...
by Jaimie Wilson
Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:36 pm
Forum: Junior Chess
Topic: World Youth Championships
Replies: 324
Views: 53424

Re: World Youth Championships

I have never met or played Declan so I can't really comment on his chess but I hope he's alright. He's a young lad under a great deal of scrutiny and I can imagine this all being rather stressful for him, especially having read some the comments on Tim's blog. Sorry for coming over all 'snowflakey'!...
by Jaimie Wilson
Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:44 pm
Forum: County Championships
Topic: Finals 13 July 2019 @ Kettering
Replies: 29
Views: 22920

Re: Finals 13 July 2019 @ Kettering

Hi friends, good luck to all teams competing in a final. I wish the English chess website had a link to the county results service website (https://ecflms.org.uk/lms/node/36/home). It's an excellent service, but not easy to find!
by Jaimie Wilson
Sat May 11, 2019 11:56 pm
Forum: County Championships
Topic: National Stages 2019
Replies: 55
Views: 37179

Re: National Stages 2019

but Sussex can only find 10 players That is a sad state of affairs for an Open team, and I don't expect that it is the captain's fault. I wonder how many of his players couldn't face another run up the M1 so soon after last weekend's 4NCL. You're quite correct about the Sussex captain - he does a m...
by Jaimie Wilson
Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:02 pm
Forum: Junior Chess
Topic: World Youth U16 Chess Olympiad 2018
Replies: 8
Views: 3428

Re: World Youth U16 Chess Olympiad 2018

What a crying shame it is that rules and barriers mean we don't have a team in this fabulous competition. A week in Turkey in a learning environment would have been an invaluable experience for our young talents. I am thankful for events on home soil like the LCC and Hastings which provide other opp...
by Jaimie Wilson
Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:15 pm
Forum: County Championships
Topic: Victory for the Dinosaurs
Replies: 69
Views: 44138

Re: Victory for the Dinosaurs

Like many here, I love county chess and see it as important so I really appreciate the efforts of everyone involved to help keep it in the best shape possible. I must admit though that when I heard that Sussex had been drawn against Lancashire in the Open section I thought it was an April fools'! Th...
by Jaimie Wilson
Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:50 pm
Forum: Rating Debate
Topic: July Grades
Replies: 60
Views: 23063

Re: July Grades

Well done Julie; your efforts are much appreciated.
by Jaimie Wilson
Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:50 pm
Forum: Rating Debate
Topic: July Grades
Replies: 60
Views: 23063

Re: july grades

There appears to be a problem with the list, I (selectively!) quote a colleague and grader as follows: "If you check your personal page you will find you're shown as having played some number "x" games over the last 12 months. However, if you then click on "Standard games played, last 12 months" yo...