Thanks Adam, will try those.
Johnathan.
Search found 28 matches
- Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:53 pm
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: Chess club newsletter.
- Replies: 3
- Views: 978
- Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:24 pm
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: Chess club newsletter.
- Replies: 3
- Views: 978
Chess club newsletter.
Hello all,
I would like to produce a newsletter for my fellow club mates but frankly have no idea how to go about it!
Could someone advise me how to print chess positions in a word document? Is there any software that does this?
Many thanks.
Regards,
Johnathan.
I would like to produce a newsletter for my fellow club mates but frankly have no idea how to go about it!
Could someone advise me how to print chess positions in a word document? Is there any software that does this?
Many thanks.
Regards,
Johnathan.
- Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:48 pm
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: Using a computer in correspondence chess
- Replies: 49
- Views: 12284
Re: Using a computer in correspondence chess
Top otb players use computer analysis all the time, including lines from correspondence games. They just have to remember it, but its still computer analysis. Correspondence players have used outside resources since they came available. Books, informators, and later databases and finally engines. It...
- Wed May 01, 2013 10:20 pm
- Forum: Chess Questions
- Topic: Systematic Study Technique
- Replies: 2
- Views: 2596
Re: Systematic Study Technique
Hi, I feel I am unqualified to answer your question, but I found it interesting so I will give my opinion anyway. I believe one way to go about it would be to work with what many authors call Tabyias, this, as you probably know, is a standard position from which main lines deviate. Followed up with ...
- Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:17 pm
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: Chess and class
- Replies: 22
- Views: 2721
Re: Chess and class
I'd imagine most of Cyprus and Greece as well, at least i'm not alone.
- Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:01 pm
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: Chess - The Mechanics of the Mind
- Replies: 6
- Views: 1672
Re: Chess - The Mechanics of the Mind
I have it, good read. I particularly liked the first section around pages 12-14 where they discuss how masters considered concrete forcing continuations. The one chapter I haven't read is the one on the Karpov v Kasparov matches! Is it worth reading?
- Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:55 pm
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: Chess and class
- Replies: 22
- Views: 2721
Re: Chess and class
It appears I'm a Precarious proletariat - mainly because I'm broke, presumably.
- Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:03 pm
- Forum: 4NCL
- Topic: BEST ANNOTATED GAME COMPETITION
- Replies: 10
- Views: 5216
Re: BEST ANNOTATED GAME COMPETITION
Mike, Thanks for the reply. I guess it doesn't interest many people, allied to the fact that anyone can copy/paste computer analysis and claim it as their own. Perhaps Annotation Challenge, rather than Competition, would be better. No prizes etc but publication on the website, although this would st...
- Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:47 pm
- Forum: 4NCL
- Topic: BEST ANNOTATED GAME COMPETITION
- Replies: 10
- Views: 5216
Re: BEST ANNOTATED GAME COMPETITION
Hi All, Sorry for dragging up an old thread but I thought it better than starting a new one. I have recently been reading Alexander Kotov's 1980/81 book: Train Like a Grandmaster. Within chapter six: Annotating Games; it mentions one soviet school method of improving a players game by entering annot...
- Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:11 pm
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: What is the most effective way to study?
- Replies: 15
- Views: 3767
Re: What is the most effective way to study?
Thank you to everyone who has posted. I have recently got involved with something of a study group with a couple of other players in my club. This involves a number of things such as: A book club, where we attempt to critically read books a chapter at a time and discuss them. We have decided to begi...
- Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:07 pm
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: What is the most effective way to study?
- Replies: 15
- Views: 3767
Re: What is the most effective way to study?
Hi greg, I agree with using a board, trying to replicate the circumstances of league/congress play as much as possible must surely be the most effective training. I might try playing solitaire chess and trying to go through the whole game in 90 min - 180 min in a session. We play 90 min for all move...
- Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:18 pm
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: What is the most effective way to study?
- Replies: 15
- Views: 3767
Re: What is the most effective way to study?
Thanks Thomas, my gut feeling is that you're correct - about both points. To really improve I think you need to play at least 50 games a year, if not more.
Cheers,
Johnathan.
Cheers,
Johnathan.
- Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:02 pm
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: What is the most effective way to study?
- Replies: 15
- Views: 3767
Re: What is the most effective way to study?
Thanks for the reply. To be honest the particular books, or the subjects, was irrelevant. I have plenty of sources, both modern and old. My question was not what I should study. It was how to go about studying. A question more to do with the theory of education/learning than with chess itself. I had...
- Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:56 am
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: What is the most effective way to study?
- Replies: 15
- Views: 3767
Re: What is the most effective way to study?
Hello Paul, and Andrew. No, I'm certainly not a junior! I've played for twenty years or so but only on the internet, or before that with friends. This year, after changing my work hours from evenings to days, I decided to join my local club. It took me a while to get used to league play, but this se...
- Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:48 pm
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: What is the most effective way to study?
- Replies: 15
- Views: 3767
What is the most effective way to study?
Hello everyone, Recently I have been wondering what the most effective/efficient manner of studying a subject (in this case chess, but it could be any subject really) is. Is it better to: A) Find a number of sources and then read them all completely in a linear fashion. A manner similar to that desc...