Search found 80 matches

by Michael Yeo
Sun Jun 21, 2026 8:29 pm
Forum: Seniors Chess
Topic: English Senior Chess Championships past winners
Replies: 5
Views: 4060

Re: English Senior Chess Championships past winners

https://www.ecfresource.co.uk/results/ has some of the missing names.
2011 for example won't show up in the searches suggested because it is only shown as an e2e4 event with no mention of Seniors.
by Michael Yeo
Sun Nov 09, 2025 4:51 pm
Forum: International News
Topic: FIDE World Cup 30 October - 27 November 2025
Replies: 328
Views: 64656

Re: FIDE World Cup 30 October - 27 November 2025

Dubov Meier is worth a look if you like that sort of thing. https://lichess.org/broadcast/fide-world-cup-2025--round-3/tiebreak-2-rapid-1/9wuDCaIo/eh6tDnYp I thought 7...Nf5 was supposed to be unplayable. I've played it a couple of times in Rapidplay but it is close to unplayable. The main reason i...
by Michael Yeo
Wed Apr 16, 2025 8:56 am
Forum: Chess History
Topic: Chess history trivia
Replies: 2596
Views: 319404

Re: Chess history trivia

1970?
by Michael Yeo
Fri Sep 06, 2024 9:29 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Photos in the Guardian
Replies: 1
Views: 905

Photos in the Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesig ... n-pictures

A number will be familiar. Only David Bowie and Catherine Deneuve obviously have their board the wrong way round.
by Michael Yeo
Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:21 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: 2x2 pawn squares
Replies: 11
Views: 2999

Re: 2x2 pawn squares

Eley v Williams Round 11 British Champs 1972
by Michael Yeo
Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:24 pm
Forum: Chess Questions
Topic: Hungarian Dragon
Replies: 11
Views: 8511

Re: Hungarian Dragon

Nearly. Safer to play 3. d3 first. [Event "Cambridge Univ v Insurance"] [Site "?"] [Date "1970.??.??"] [Round "?"] [White "Yeo, Michael J"] [Black "Carr, Chris D"] [Result "1/2-1/2"] [ECO "B23"] [PlyCount "54"] [EventDate "1970.??.??"] 1. e4 c5 2. Nc3 Nc6 3. d3 d6 4. g4 e6 5. Bg2 Be7 6. Nge2 Nf6 7. ...
by Michael Yeo
Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:08 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Media comments on chess
Replies: 6644
Views: 1162240

Re: Media comments on chess

Yes, that was my point. Nearly all of the top bridge players are men, albeit not to the same extent as in chess. Today's English top 100 bridge players (rolling National Grading System) has two women, at 44th and 69th. The only caveat is that players can elect to keep their grade private. I think t...
by Michael Yeo
Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:45 pm
Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
Topic: GM Radoslav Simic 1948-2020
Replies: 4
Views: 1702

Re: GM Radoslav Simic 1948-2020

I suspect that I was the last English player to play against Simic, with a loss and a draw in a double round tournament in Belgrade in 2003.
by Michael Yeo
Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:58 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Uzbekistan On The Rise?
Replies: 8
Views: 1857

Re: Uzbekistan On The Rise?

" I've heard of at least one intrepid English player who has played chess in Uzbekistan. I doubt that you meant me, but I did play in the 7th Agzamov Memorial in 2013. Having accepted a draw in a winning position in the penultimate round I needed to win this final round game to have a share in the ...
by Michael Yeo
Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:23 pm
Forum: Chess History
Topic: Battle of Britain Tournaments?
Replies: 33
Views: 7929

Re: Battle of Britain Tournaments?

I won in 1974, beating Roland Payne. I have unearthed a poor copy of an article from the East Anglian Daily Times: Capture.PNG In 1975 we played again. I am not sure whether or not it was the final. We drew the first game with me as Black and I lost the second game as White. The trophy was magnifice...
by Michael Yeo
Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:33 pm
Forum: Chess History
Topic: James Macrae Aitken and the good news is...
Replies: 52
Views: 10448

Re: James Macrae Aitken and the good news is...

"What was his final game, in these books anyway?" He played at Guernsey in October and I believe the last round was 22/10/83, and he died 3/12/83 so it might have been his last game... He lost to SJ Shutler (whatever happened to him?) I don't have the game on Chessbase. Since you ask: http://mail.w...
by Michael Yeo
Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:14 am
Forum: Not Chess!
Topic: Plaskett and Woffinden's book on the "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?" Fraud
Replies: 264
Views: 87237

Re: Plaskett and Woffinden's book on the "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?" Fraud

Kevin Thurlow wrote: ↑
Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:03 pm
Is that true? Does/did the Spooner character exist?
From my local paper:
https://www.advertiserandtimes.co.uk/quiz-millionaire

I have played his father at chess.
by Michael Yeo
Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:14 am
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Media comments on chess
Replies: 6644
Views: 1162240

Re: Media comments on chess

I think it was earlier, probably 1962, as it was based on an article in the Scientific American in March 1962 available online at http://cs.williams.edu/~freund/cs136-07 ... xapawn.pdf. This was based on work by Donald Michie There is some more info at http://www.mscroggs.co.uk/blog/19.
by Michael Yeo
Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:14 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Celebrity identification
Replies: 16
Views: 2655

Re: Celebrity identification

Looking back at that game against Reppen, 15.Bc1 looks like it could be rather strong. I must not have seen it at the tame. No it isn't. Black just plays 15.....Qxf3 16.gxf3 Re7! (better than 16....Re8 that has been played a few times) and even if White regains material after something like 17.Ng5 ...
by Michael Yeo
Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:27 pm
Forum: International News
Topic: London Chess Classic 2017
Replies: 150
Views: 22802

Re: London Chess Classic 2017

Remarkable play by Luke, even given the time control. Not really. I analysed this line out to a draw 5 years ago (with colours reversed: 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 Bc5 4.Nc3 Nf6 5 Nd5!? etc). I suspect both players are still in their preparation (at move 15) as it is still following Motylev - Radjabo...