Search found 38 matches

by Steve Lloyd
Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:23 pm
Forum: Rating Debate
Topic: Frequency of League Result Reporting
Replies: 38
Views: 20680

Re: Frequency of League Result Reporting

Are you using Swiss Master, Swiss Manager, UTU Swiss or creating the lovely old .txt file and emailing it Matthew Carr? I've built the websites for both leagues and I've included an option that lets me generate a txt file, which I'll then upload into ecfrating. For internal club results, I'm gettin...
by Steve Lloyd
Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:33 pm
Forum: Rating Debate
Topic: Frequency of League Result Reporting
Replies: 38
Views: 20680

Re: Frequency of League Result Reporting

I grade (or rate?) the Wirral League and the Chester & District League (which isn't planning on resuming until at least Jan 2022. I'm also currently grading the internal games of two clubs. My intention is to submit results at the end of every month. I'm not using the ECF LMS.
by Steve Lloyd
Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:24 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Shortest legitimate games
Replies: 52
Views: 7793

Re: Shortest legitimate games

There may have been shorter games, but I recall this 9 move victory at the opening round of the Minor at Crewe in February 1997 1. c4 d6 2. d4 Be6 3. e4 Nf6 4. Nc3 Nc6 5. Nf3 Nb8 6. e5 Nfd7 7. Ng5 h6 8. Nxe6 fxe6 9. Qh5+ Game lasted less than 20 minutes. I then had to wait until 11pm as the person w...
by Steve Lloyd
Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:34 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Coronavirus leading to cancellation?
Replies: 224
Views: 33841

Re: Coronavirus leading to cancellation?

The Wirral League has been officially suspended for at least 1 month.
by Steve Lloyd
Mon May 15, 2017 10:00 pm
Forum: Congress Results
Topic: Rhyl Congress 2017
Replies: 5
Views: 3584

Rhyl Congress 2017

Results from the 51st Rhyl Chess Congress played 12-14 May Nigel Davies and Mike Surtees shared first in the Open Young Ifan Rathbone Jones surprised many by claiming first in the Major David Price won the Minor Crewe and Rhyl & Prestatyn shared team prize Open Pos Player Club Grade 1 2 3 4 5 Pts Ga...
by Steve Lloyd
Tue May 26, 2015 7:00 pm
Forum: Congress Results
Topic: Rhyl Congress 2015 - Final Standings
Replies: 4
Views: 3762

Re: Rhyl Congress 2015 - Final Standings

All three =seconds were juniors and so shared Best Junior award. Somehow they have to share a trophy (a board) between the three of them!
by Steve Lloyd
Mon May 18, 2015 9:57 pm
Forum: Congress Results
Topic: Rhyl Congress 2015 - Final Standings
Replies: 4
Views: 3762

Rhyl Congress 2015 - Final Standings

Open Pos Player Club Grade 1 2 3 4 5 Pts Games Perf 1 Townsend, M Paul York RI 216 b10+ w12+ b8+ w3= b2= 4 5 220 2 Jaunooby, Ali Reza Denton 205 b15+ w11+ b3= w4+ w1= 4 5 215 3 House, Glenn L Morecambe 210 w13+ b5+ w2= b1= w8+ 4 5 219 4 Burns, Martin J Stockport 171 bye= b9+ w12+ b2- w5+ 3½ 5 206 5 ...
by Steve Lloyd
Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:22 pm
Forum: Rating Debate
Topic: Grading Software Issue
Replies: 9
Views: 4955

Re: Grading Software Issue

I am able to use the grading program on both my Windows 7 Desktop or my Windows 8 laptop. I keep everything in a folder called "League" including results.exe and several database files on a USB stick so I can switch between computers without losing any data. All I've had to do to get it to work is t...
by Steve Lloyd
Fri May 23, 2014 12:24 am
Forum: Congress Results
Topic: Rhyl Congress 16-18 May
Replies: 0
Views: 2450

Rhyl Congress 16-18 May

I have the final standings for each section, don't remember all the prize winners OPEN Pos Player Club Grade 1 2 3 4 5 Pts Games Perf 1 Jaunooby, Ali Reza Denton 202 b13+ w5+ w6+ b7= w3= 4 5 214 2 House, Glenn L Morecambe 215 w11+ b8= w7= b6+ w9+ 4 5 211 3 Townsend, M Paul 4NCL White Rose 220 bye= b...
by Steve Lloyd
Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:22 am
Forum: Congress Diary
Topic: Chess, Magic, Scrabble! 5-6 April, Leeds
Replies: 7
Views: 2382

Re: Chess, Magic, Scrabble! 5-6 April, Leeds

Where will the Liverpool event be held?
by Steve Lloyd
Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:44 pm
Forum: Congress Diary
Topic: Manchester Rapidplay Sunday 17 March 2013
Replies: 19
Views: 5012

Re: Manchester Rapidplay Sunday 17 March 2013

I'd like to attend, but it would be impossible for me to get there for 10 am using public transport. I could make it for round 2, but there appears to be no option for taking byes.
by Steve Lloyd
Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:28 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Chess played in England (statistics)
Replies: 25
Views: 4311

Re: Chess played in England (statistics)

Wirral League http://www.wirralchessleague.com : Division 1 - 9 Teams; 5 Boards; 36 Matches; 180 games Division 2 - 9 Teams; 5 Boards; 36 Matches; 180 games Division 3 - 8 Teams; 5 Boards; 28 Matches; 140 games Knock Out - 8 Teams; 7 Boards Teams: Atticus (based in Liverpool, 1 team), Buckley/Mold (...
by Steve Lloyd
Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:15 pm
Forum: Congress Diary
Topic: e2e4 Chester Congress : 18-20 January 2013
Replies: 50
Views: 10673

Re: e2e4 Chester Congress : 18-20 January 2013

Because to get a part-rating from a tournament, you need to play at least three FIDE-rated players during the course of it. If only five out of a field of 25 are rated, that's a very tall order for anyone. Fair enough. So a mistake was made in thinking their would be enough FIDE rated players to be...
by Steve Lloyd
Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:25 pm
Forum: Congress Diary
Topic: e2e4 Chester Congress : 18-20 January 2013
Replies: 50
Views: 10673

Re: e2e4 Chester Congress : 18-20 January 2013

It was probably a mistake to have a FIDE rated Major in the first place. For an organisation that claims on it's own website "The Best Tournaments in the UK and Ireland", I don't expect these mistakes. I don't yet know the precise reason why this change was made. Perhaps the forced upgrade to Gold m...
by Steve Lloyd
Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:44 pm
Forum: Congress Diary
Topic: e2e4 Chester Congress : 18-20 January 2013
Replies: 50
Views: 10673

Re: e2e4 Chester Congress : 18-20 January 2013

It doesn't seem right to change the parameters of a tournament after announcing it. The West Brom Major (which is still FIDE rated) states " English players in the Open or Major must be ECF Gold members." When the Chester Major was FIDE rated, I upgraded my ECF membership to Gold about 5 minutes bef...