Search found 235 matches

by Lee Bullock
Mon Dec 22, 2025 10:28 pm
Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
Topic: Jonathan Hawkins
Replies: 44
Views: 24012

Re: Jonathan Hawkins

Devastated. I can’t believe it. I was hoping he would pull through. Had no idea he was this advanced. Totally devastated. Loved Jon so much. Was so lovely to me and we got on so well and had so many laughs. And due to our friendship we decided to become blitz partners at Hastings. And we won it. We ...
by Lee Bullock
Wed Aug 13, 2025 6:30 pm
Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
Topic: Robin Nettleton
Replies: 3
Views: 1560

Re: Robin Nettleton

Very sad to hear this news. I was good friends with Robin and Charlie for many years. We often met up in Majorca chess festival. And saw eachother many times at congresses for a few beers. I first met Robin and Charlie at the 2010 British I think it was. Charlie was playing in the u140 event I think...
by Lee Bullock
Mon Mar 24, 2025 3:57 am
Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
Topic: Michael Harper (1949-2025)
Replies: 3
Views: 1989

Re: Michael Harper (1949-2025)

Im sure Michael wouldnt of minded me posting this. He was much stronger than me but i was really on the up at the time and played a few brilliant moves for my level at the time. I remember Michael being really impressed and said im way better than my grade. This was my first ever opening of the BD g...
by Lee Bullock
Mon Mar 24, 2025 3:27 am
Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
Topic: Tim Allen
Replies: 9
Views: 3517

Re: Tim Allen

Wow that was painful to look back at. Overall i played Tim 5 times. He beat me first 2.Then 2 draws. By the 5th game i was way stronger and managed to finally beat him. But here was our first encounter. Complete demolition by Tim. .i was like wow ok i really need to up my game as a 127 to me was in ...
by Lee Bullock
Sun Mar 23, 2025 4:22 pm
Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
Topic: Tim Allen
Replies: 9
Views: 3517

Re: Tim Allen

Played him a few times in my first few years in chess. I remember him being a bit dismissive of my awful rating and then continued to smash me haha. Think it was Brighton around 2011/12. Will post the game when I find it. Rip Tim.
by Lee Bullock
Wed Mar 12, 2025 3:15 pm
Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
Topic: Michael Harper (1949-2025)
Replies: 3
Views: 1989

Re: Michael Harper (1949-2025)

I remember him. Played him at Nottingham. My very first ever game there. It was on top board and I won. Think he may of withdrew after. Was a crazy game. I will try and find it and post it here. Rip Michael.
by Lee Bullock
Wed Feb 05, 2025 12:40 pm
Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
Topic: Stewart Reuben
Replies: 111
Views: 21463

Re: Stewart Reuben

Vert sad to hear this. :( But Great to hear he was on a cruise when he died. I wonder if he knew he was close? That’s how I wanna go out. Not at home. But with my dogs maybe friends and a Caribbean cruise. Will miss his stories. Got pleasure and honour of playing him. I should have won but he swindl...
by Lee Bullock
Thu Dec 26, 2024 6:40 pm
Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
Topic: James Wallman (1928 – 2024)
Replies: 14
Views: 4004

Re: James Wallman (1928 – 2024)

MartinWallman wrote: ↑
Fri Dec 20, 2024 9:00 pm
Thanks for all that Lee and your friendship.
No problem Martin. I also found these. This was the same day. I was with David Spence that day. And he also had a few pics with James 😊. And one of me with hands that I didn’t post before.
by Lee Bullock
Wed Dec 04, 2024 8:49 pm
Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
Topic: IM Adam Hunt 1980-2024
Replies: 37
Views: 17036

Re: IM Adam Hunt 1980-2024

I hope it’s ok to post this lovely pic of Adam in Torquay.
It was when everyone was doing that Facebook ageing pic thing. And he posed for it haha. Really nice pic of him.
by Lee Bullock
Wed Dec 04, 2024 3:37 pm
Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
Topic: IM Adam Hunt 1980-2024
Replies: 37
Views: 17036

Re: IM Adam Hunt 1980-2024

Gutted to hear this. Knew he had not been well for a long time but didn’t know he had got this bad. He was always straight talking and friendly to me. Only saw him months ago at the British. Where he must of been battling through tough times to carry on working and commentating which he loved. And I...
by Lee Bullock
Fri Nov 29, 2024 12:38 am
Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
Topic: Julian Farrand
Replies: 25
Views: 11613

Re: Julian Farrand

im sure Julian wouldn't mind me posting this incredible escape I managed. He was of course way past his best even 10 years ago. And I was on major up. I had won my last 2 tournaments before this game and I think I had only lost 1 game in 15 or something and went on to win the u140 grand prix that ye...
by Lee Bullock
Mon Nov 25, 2024 8:34 pm
Forum: 4NCL
Topic: 4NCL 2024-25 Division One
Replies: 55
Views: 25994

Re: 4NCL 2024-25 Division One

"His view is its the rules fault not him" So what rule change does he want? There must be a reason for wasting everyone's time (including his own) but I don't understand what point he is trying to make. I think he was saying an arbitor should be able to intervene or opponent can make claim of no pr...
by Lee Bullock
Mon Nov 25, 2024 8:29 pm
Forum: 4NCL
Topic: 4NCL 2024-25 Division One
Replies: 55
Views: 25994

Re: 4NCL 2024-25 Division One

NickFaulks wrote: ↑
Mon Nov 25, 2024 8:17 pm
This point was made at an Olympiad some thirty years ago by GM Larry Christiansen, when thirty second increments were novel. I suggested the use of absorbent underwear, but the idea did not find favout with him.
Nappies should be provided at all events :lol:
by Lee Bullock
Mon Nov 25, 2024 7:08 pm
Forum: 4NCL
Topic: 4NCL 2024-25 Division One
Replies: 55
Views: 25994

Re: 4NCL 2024-25 Division One

"His view is its the rules fault not him" So what rule change does he want? There must be a reason for wasting everyone's time (including his own) but I don't understand what point he is trying to make. I think he was saying an arbitor should be able to intervene or opponent can make claim of no pr...
by Lee Bullock
Mon Nov 25, 2024 6:54 pm
Forum: 4NCL
Topic: 4NCL 2024-25 Division One
Replies: 55
Views: 25994

Re: 4NCL 2024-25 Division One

What he's doing isn't against the rules, but it's against the spirit of the game. My view is: don't accept his entry to tournaments with increment (basically all of them these days) - it will mess up the round times etc. Don't pick him for your teams. Obviously if he gives an assurance he's done wi...