Search found 430 matches
- Mon Sep 07, 2026 5:55 pm
- Forum: Seniors Chess
- Topic: European Seniors 2026
- Replies: 65
- Views: 5379
Re: European Seniors 2026
Thanks, Jack. Though surely it does make a difference if the possible teams to exclude got beaten by a different score? Even though teams A and B finish on X match points, if your team beat team A 4-0 then you get 4X SB points removed as opposed to 3X SB points removed if you beat team B 3-1. Or am...
- Sun Sep 06, 2026 9:25 pm
- Forum: Seniors Chess
- Topic: European Seniors 2026
- Replies: 65
- Views: 5379
Re: European Seniors 2026
Older readers may remember the conclusion of the 1980 Olympiad where the gold medals were determined by the results of adjourned games in the Scotland v Greece match, although a different tie-break method (Buchholz) was used.
- Wed Aug 12, 2026 5:44 pm
- Forum: ECF Matters
- Topic: 2026 British Chess Championships
- Replies: 522
- Views: 82275
Re: 2026 British Chess Championships
Looking at Britishes in my era, winning from 144 rating points (the equivalent of 18 grading points) or more below the top seed is not exactly common. I make it the following: 1996 Chris Ward (155 below Sadler) 2002 R B Ramesh (194 below Sasikiran) 2015 Jonathan Hawkins (144 below Howell) 2022 Harr...
- Wed Aug 12, 2026 3:51 pm
- Forum: ECF Matters
- Topic: 2026 British Chess Championships
- Replies: 522
- Views: 82275
Re: 2026 British Chess Championships
Copilot reckons Eley's performance was 1.21 SD above expectation and that that would be expected to happen once every 7.5 tournaments (of that length). So it was a good performance, but not an exceptional performance. Certainly nowhere near the level where, nowadays, you'd be checking for cheating,...
- Thu Aug 06, 2026 1:04 pm
- Forum: ECF Matters
- Topic: 2026 British Chess Championships
- Replies: 522
- Views: 82275
Re: 2026 British Chess Championships
This may not be a national championship. There's a comment somewhere else on this forum that the ECF might designate the English Championships in October as its national championship (along, I think, with some questions about whether it can do that). Absolutely fantastic There was some discussion a...
- Fri May 01, 2026 3:42 pm
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: Chess playing candidates in the forthcoming elections.
- Replies: 0
- Views: 3106
Chess playing candidates in the forthcoming elections.
I'm not sure if this counts as chess, or not chess. I'll leave others to decide. There's usually a thread on chess players running for election - I'll make the opening move. For Holyrood I think there are 4: Liam Kerr (Conservative) in Aberdeen Deeside and North Kincardine; Alan Reid (Lib Dem) in Ar...
- Sun Apr 12, 2026 1:12 pm
- Forum: International News
- Topic: FIDE Open Candidates Tournament Cyprus (28 March to 16 April 2026)
- Replies: 188
- Views: 35031
Re: FIDE Open Candidates Tournament Cyprus (28 March to 16 April 2026)
I suspect I will be shaking the drawbot''s hand very shortly.
A win for Sindarov today, and 3 draws.
A win for Sindarov today, and 3 draws.
- Sat Apr 11, 2026 12:14 pm
- Forum: International News
- Topic: FIDE Open Candidates Tournament Cyprus (28 March to 16 April 2026)
- Replies: 188
- Views: 35031
Re: FIDE Open Candidates Tournament Cyprus (28 March to 16 April 2026)
Too early to piggy back on other selections so I'll go for a win for Giri and 3 draws. And a small flutter on Panic Attack (because I like the name) in the big one.
- Fri Apr 10, 2026 3:45 pm
- Forum: International News
- Topic: FIDE Open Candidates Tournament Cyprus (28 March to 16 April 2026)
- Replies: 188
- Views: 35031
Re: FIDE Open Candidates Tournament Cyprus (28 March to 16 April 2026)
Another rest day today?
I've just worked out this isn't for the players' benefit, but for that of the pundits, spectators and forumites. (I'm exhausted...)
I've just worked out this isn't for the players' benefit, but for that of the pundits, spectators and forumites. (I'm exhausted...)
- Thu Apr 09, 2026 1:07 pm
- Forum: International News
- Topic: FIDE Open Candidates Tournament Cyprus (28 March to 16 April 2026)
- Replies: 188
- Views: 35031
Re: FIDE Open Candidates Tournament Cyprus (28 March to 16 April 2026)
I think I'm trailing the drawbot so I may have to start taking risks... That's what it's trying to provoke you into doing :) And it's working - I'm trailing by 2 now. This is the real Countdown conundrum – if you’re behind do you gamble with 6 small numbers or try to keep in touch and aim for a cru...
- Wed Apr 08, 2026 1:29 pm
- Forum: International News
- Topic: FIDE Open Candidates Tournament Cyprus (28 March to 16 April 2026)
- Replies: 188
- Views: 35031
Re: FIDE Open Candidates Tournament Cyprus (28 March to 16 April 2026)
I think I'm trailing the drawbot so I may have to start taking risks...
Hikaru Nakamura – Andrey Esipenko 1-0
Fabiano Caruana – Anish Giri draw
Praggnanandhaa R – Wei Yi draw
Matthias Bluebaum – Javokhir Sindarov draw
Hikaru Nakamura – Andrey Esipenko 1-0
Fabiano Caruana – Anish Giri draw
Praggnanandhaa R – Wei Yi draw
Matthias Bluebaum – Javokhir Sindarov draw
- Tue Apr 07, 2026 1:17 pm
- Forum: International News
- Topic: FIDE Open Candidates Tournament Cyprus (28 March to 16 April 2026)
- Replies: 188
- Views: 35031
Re: FIDE Open Candidates Tournament Cyprus (28 March to 16 April 2026)
How much would performance decline if there were no rest days? Presumably this would be a function of age? They are (mostly) all young and fit, so with plenty of rest days I wouldn't expect tiredness to be much of a factor. Would anyone care to comment? Will draws become more common with the tournam...
- Sat Apr 04, 2026 1:22 pm
- Forum: International News
- Topic: FIDE Open Candidates Tournament Cyprus (28 March to 16 April 2026)
- Replies: 188
- Views: 35031
Re: FIDE Open Candidates Tournament Cyprus (28 March to 16 April 2026)
On the less important matter of predictions: there is a little breakaway at the head of the field. Would the candidates have had a number in mind at the start of the competition? I think +4 won it last time - Sindarov is there already and you've got to think he'll do better. So it must be getting cl...
- Fri Apr 03, 2026 1:19 pm
- Forum: International News
- Topic: FIDE Open Candidates Tournament Cyprus (28 March to 16 April 2026)
- Replies: 188
- Views: 35031
Re: FIDE Open Candidates Tournament Cyprus (28 March to 16 April 2026)
I think I'm on 9/16 (including my secret unpublished predictions).
A rest day may change the dynamics.
I'll go with wins for Pragg, Fabi and Sindo. And 1 draw.
A rest day may change the dynamics.
I'll go with wins for Pragg, Fabi and Sindo. And 1 draw.
- Wed Apr 01, 2026 12:36 pm
- Forum: International News
- Topic: FIDE Open Candidates Tournament Cyprus (28 March to 16 April 2026)
- Replies: 188
- Views: 35031
Re: FIDE Open Candidates Tournament Cyprus (28 March to 16 April 2026)
I'm running late for my golf lesson, so I'll go for wins for Giri, Naka and Pragg and a draw in whatever's left.