FM Jimmy Adams was a fine chess writer and editor, and his scholarship has left a lasting mark on chess literature.
I am grateful to have known him as a friend. He seemed to embody the joy of chess. RIP.
Search found 52 matches
- Sat Jun 06, 2026 12:31 pm
- Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
- Topic: James Bernard Adams
- Replies: 100
- Views: 23169
- Fri Jul 11, 2025 5:41 pm
- Forum: Chess History
- Topic: Games of Sir George Thomas
- Replies: 54
- Views: 68483
Re: Games of Sir George Thomas
Edward Winter's Chess Notes has much interesting material on George and Edith: https://www.chesshistory.com/winter/extra/thomas.html
- Thu Jul 10, 2025 11:35 pm
- Forum: Chess History
- Topic: Games of Sir George Thomas
- Replies: 54
- Views: 68483
Re: Games of Sir George Thomas
Many thanks to John and Gerard for gathering these games. Tibor Karolyi and I are writing a book on Sir George (not a complete games collection) covering his careers in chess, badminton and tennis. Forum members are welcome to contact me by private message if they have any information about Sir Geor...
- Sat Nov 02, 2024 10:30 pm
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: Nick names
- Replies: 33
- Views: 7434
Re: Nick names
Who is Nosher except from a rather rambunctuous character in the film Eat the Rich? "Nosher L. Git" is an anagramatical nickname for Nigel Short. I think it was invented by Tony Miles. Obviously Short doesn't like this name (e.g. see http://streathambrixtonchess.blogspot.com/2011/10/i-dont-call-you...
- Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:26 am
- Forum: Chess History
- Topic: Chess history trivia
- Replies: 2596
- Views: 319404
Re: Chess history trivia
Liverpool Mercury (July 1813).
- Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:21 pm
- Forum: Chess History
- Topic: Sir George Alan Thomas
- Replies: 30
- Views: 11813
Re: Sir George Alan Thomas
I have found no evidence that Jean Rogers (née Craker) has left us. According to BT/192 she lived at 90 Park Drive, Acton, London W3 until 2019. I would be very grateful to anyone who can offer information on Jean's current whereabouts.
- Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:45 pm
- Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
- Topic: Mike Twyble
- Replies: 11
- Views: 3356
Re: Mike Twyble
... playing for his team" did, I think, include a trip to a qualifier event in Lithuania. I haven't checked, but I thought it was Estonia. Mike played for Ilford in the 14th European Club Cup Qualifier in 1998 which was held in Narva, Estonia. In the match against Reykjavik he drew with GM Thorhall...
- Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:46 pm
- Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
- Topic: Brian Eley
- Replies: 389
- Views: 65404
Re: Brian Eley
https://www.kingpinchess.net/2022/06/poetry-corner/JustinHorton wrote: ↑Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:28 pmAlso, I don't think I have ever seen Kingpin 27 and the relevant article Skewer (or if I have, I've forgotten). Does anybody have it?
- Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:24 pm
- Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
- Topic: Brian Eley
- Replies: 389
- Views: 65404
Brian Eley
Brian Eley died in Amsterdam on 6 April 2022: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/240 ... liffe-eley
- Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:01 pm
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: Media comments on chess
- Replies: 6644
- Views: 1162239
Re: Media comments on chess
Not really as he’s been following the game for a while https://www.chesshistory.com/winter/ex ... tzkin.htmlMatt Mackenzie wrote: ↑Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:23 pmLeft it a bit late, perhaps?JonManley wrote: ↑Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:35 am*If I retire, I’ll retire into chess.” Tom Stoppard https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000zhgd (at 48:36)
- Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:35 am
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: Media comments on chess
- Replies: 6644
- Views: 1162239
Re: Media comments on chess
*If I retire, I’ll retire into chess.” Tom Stoppard https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000zhgd (at 48:36)
- Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:26 pm
- Forum: Chess History
- Topic: Nice 74
- Replies: 344
- Views: 42190
Re: Nice 74
A well-sourced critique of English chess culture (cited earlier in this thread):
https://www.kingpinchess.net/2013/08/its-only-chess-2/
https://www.kingpinchess.net/2013/08/its-only-chess-2/
- Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:25 pm
- Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
- Topic: Syd Kalinsky
- Replies: 8
- Views: 7859
Re: Syd Kalinsky
A short tribute: https://ilfordchessclub.com/syd-kalinsky/
- Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:57 pm
- Forum: For Sale
- Topic: Wanted: Kingpin back issues
- Replies: 4
- Views: 5933
Re: Wanted: Kingpin back issues
I may have some of the early issues you are looking for, Andrew. You can reach me at [email protected]
- Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:14 pm
- Forum: For Sale
- Topic: Wanted: Kingpin back issues
- Replies: 4
- Views: 5933
Re: Wanted: Kingpin back issues
You can buy them here: http://www.kingpinchess.net/category/shop/