Search found 40 matches

by David Buckley
Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:57 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: A couple of Fide rules questions
Replies: 71
Views: 7601

Re: A couple of Fide rules questions

I was witness to an incident recently where a player played an illegal move, his opponent was given the extra two minutes, the play then resumed with the same illegal move :) What should the ruling be here? Loss, because it is two separate instances of making an illegal move in the same game. How d...
by David Buckley
Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:56 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: A couple of Fide rules questions
Replies: 71
Views: 7601

Re: A couple of Fide rules questions

My understanding is that being a captain does not give me authority to intervene, for example by claiming touch move on behalf of my team-mate. Is that correct? Leagues tend to set their own local rules as to the extent, if at all, captains can intervene. Oxford's for example http://www.oxfordfusio...
by David Buckley
Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:58 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: A couple of Fide rules questions
Replies: 71
Views: 7601

Re: A couple of Fide rules questions

AMAZING. Nobody has asked to see the originl position. It is a common failing of people, who ask for rulings, that they do not provide all of the relevant facts. In my opinion, if White made an illegal move, then anything that followed this was tainted. Thus Black could not lose on time in that seq...
by David Buckley
Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:50 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: A couple of Fide rules questions
Replies: 71
Views: 7601

Re: A couple of Fide rules questions

I don't think you should tell a player that they have to make a legal move with the [insert name of piece] - they should be given the opportunity to make a second illegal move. Moreover, what if their ONLY legal move with the [insert name of piece] was checkmate? Then the arbiter has to remember Ar...
by David Buckley
Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:48 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: A couple of Fide rules questions
Replies: 71
Views: 7601

Re: A couple of Fide rules questions

Lots to unpick here! 1. If he made the claim before the flag fell, then that'd be good enough for me. Of course, White could claim the win on time, but I'd expect the claim to be declined. 2. No, because it wasn't an illegal move. Imagine taking a photograph before Kf1 and after Kf1. If you were to...
by David Buckley
Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:07 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: A couple of Fide rules questions
Replies: 71
Views: 7601

A couple of Fide rules questions

I have had a look through the 2018 Fide handbook but didn't find the answers I am looking for. The following situation arose in a local league match: Black played ...Qc5+ and White responded with Qd5-d8+. After several seconds delay Black noticed that White's last move was illegal. He pointed this o...
by David Buckley
Fri May 19, 2017 1:31 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Experience using time increments for league matches
Replies: 47
Views: 6708

Re: Experience using time increments for league matches

We adopted 80+10. One ore two venues don't have much leeway for matches overrunning so their home matches will continue to be played using a flat 90.
by David Buckley
Thu May 18, 2017 11:34 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Experience using time increments for league matches
Replies: 47
Views: 6708

Re: Experience using time increments for league matches

The motion went from through nem-con. A pleasant surprise that as a very similar motion a few years ago in the same (Bristol) league failed to garner the necessary two-thirds majority. In the mean time we have had increments in our local tournaments. I guess that the increased exposure may have soft...
by David Buckley
Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:30 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Experience using time increments for league matches
Replies: 47
Views: 6708

Re: Experience using time increments for league matches

Thank you everybody for the replies. It's been helpful! My motion will include a clause that there is no increment where there are no digital clocks or a tight time frame. I agree with Nick regarding 5 second increments but I've gone for a 10 second increment because it seems a more popular choice a...
by David Buckley
Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:45 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Experience using time increments for league matches
Replies: 47
Views: 6708

Experience using time increments for league matches

Hello forum. I'm seeking some feedback for a motion I'm preparing to submit to my local league, changing our time control from 90 minutes for all moves to 80 mins + 10 seconds per move. My main concern is about matches over-running past venue closing time. For those of you who already play with incr...
by David Buckley
Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:24 pm
Forum: 4NCL
Topic: Junior or female player needed for weekend 3 division 2
Replies: 0
Views: 2233

Junior or female player needed for weekend 3 division 2

I'm looking for a junior or female chess player to play for my team, Bristol in weekend 3 on the 23rd and 24th Feb. If not female must be U18 at the start of 2013. Any takers? I can be contacted through the forum or by email: [email protected] or mobile: 07847 271887.
by David Buckley
Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:48 am
Forum: 4NCL
Topic: Room available at Staverton Park this weekend
Replies: 2
Views: 2440

Re: Room available at Staverton Park this weekend

I'll take it off your hands if it's still going.
by David Buckley
Tue May 01, 2012 7:02 pm
Forum: 4NCL
Topic: Player(s) wanted for final weekend 5th-7th May
Replies: 0
Views: 1283

Player(s) wanted for final weekend 5th-7th May

I realise I'm clutching at straws now but if anyone sees this message and fancies playing in rounds 9-11 please drop me an email on [email protected] or text/call to 07847 271887. Thanks.
by David Buckley
Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:10 pm
Forum: Chess Questions
Topic: Secrets of Chess Transformations?
Replies: 9
Views: 3642

Re: Secrets of Chess Transformations?

As a French player tired of exchanges, I'm looking for summat else. Is the Sicilian Kan similarish? (structurally speaking) whilst affording a bit of counterplay. Or are they not really related? Basically I'm looking for something where my French knowledge will still be useful, so as not to throw t...
by David Buckley
Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:21 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Algebraic v Descriptive (Something of a dinosaur)
Replies: 20
Views: 2878

Re: Algebraic v Descriptive (Something of a dinosaur)

One of the kids I teach would benefit hugely from changing to proper notation instead of the old school system - he frequently runs out of time while trying to notate games in the last few minutes and having to stop and think about whether to write down things like queens knight 4 or queens knight ...