Search found 12 matches

by Geoff Marchant
Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:16 pm
Forum: ECF Matters
Topic: British Championship Congress 2019
Replies: 553
Views: 99809

Re: British Championship Congress 2019

Yes, it does!

In fact, the two played in last year's Championships, although I don't think Katarzyna had represented Worcestershire at the time of that game.
by Geoff Marchant
Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:25 pm
Forum: ECF Matters
Topic: British Championship Congress 2019
Replies: 553
Views: 99809

Re: British Championship Congress 2019

Katarzyna Toma vs Keith Arkell could be considered an all-Worcestershire game, since both players have recently represented that county. I can't remember the last time that happened in the British Championships proper. I'm thinking it was probably when Simon Small was an active professional (more th...
by Geoff Marchant
Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:03 pm
Forum: Chess Questions
Topic: Hamppe - Meitner, Vienna, 1870
Replies: 14
Views: 6402

Re: Hamppe - Meitner, Vienna, 1870

Thanks Roger!
by Geoff Marchant
Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:44 pm
Forum: Chess Questions
Topic: Hamppe - Meitner, Vienna, 1870
Replies: 14
Views: 6402

Re: Hamppe - Meitner, Vienna, 1870

I remember being part of a team plotting to repeat the moves of the famous Sax vs Seirawan, Brussels World Cup 1988 game, which ended in perpetual after just 13 or so moves. We thought a certain strong player might enjoy the beauty of that game and be happy to repeat it, knowing he played the variat...
by Geoff Marchant
Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:19 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: St John's Ear Chess Club
Replies: 18
Views: 4531

Re: St John's Ear Chess Club

This is the now defunct "St Johns, Worcester" chess club. For humerous reasons possibly known only to himself, the St Johns club secretary at the time decided to add the suffix "Ear" to the name of the club, when entering. I'm not sure how it subsequently became "St. Johns (EAR)".
by Geoff Marchant
Fri May 13, 2011 12:51 pm
Forum: International News
Topic: Candidates Matches 3rd - 27th May 2011
Replies: 537
Views: 59750

Re: Candidates Matches 3rd - 27th May 2011

Radjabov's been watching too much "Only Fools & Horses".
by Geoff Marchant
Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:08 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Is there a GM in all of us?
Replies: 14
Views: 3071

Re: Is there a GM in all of us?

On the other hand, this might be cause for despair. If, as a group, chess-players are much more skilful today than in previous generations, won't there be some (or many) within the group that won't become GMs despite attaining an "absolute standard" that previously may have been sufficient to be a G...
by Geoff Marchant
Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:49 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: H.E.Atkins
Replies: 100
Views: 18311

Re: H.E.Atkins

Maybe H.E.Atkins is the luckiest player ever to emerge from Leicestershire?
by Geoff Marchant
Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:07 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Grade please?
Replies: 75
Views: 10148

Re: Grade please?

Once during a post mortem my opponent said "I was going to offer a draw here but I got up, walked around and saw your grade on the wall, so I decided to play on a bit". He won both the game and, with that comment, the post mortem.
by Geoff Marchant
Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:15 am
Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
Topic: Bent Larsen
Replies: 22
Views: 6723

Re: Bent Larsen

From Yasser Seirawan's recent book: "For those who don't know, the Danish Grandmaster Bent Larsen is my one true hero, and this book is dedicated to him. Of all the masters I've ever known I admire Bent the most. It is not just the strength of his character, his extraordinary mind, his gift for lang...
by Geoff Marchant
Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:14 am
Forum: General Chat
Topic: The British Chess Magazine
Replies: 3
Views: 1083

Re: The British Chess Magazine

My first impression is that it has become "The British Chess Magazine", from "British Chess Magazine"! There's a little more advertising in the new edition, dotted across the pages rather than just on the back cover. At the moment I prefer the previous font, although I'm sure I'll happily get used t...
by Geoff Marchant
Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:01 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Canterbury - Highs and Low
Replies: 22
Views: 4378

Re: Canterbury - Highs and Low

I really enjoyed my Canterbury weekend as well. The stand-out performance for me, though, was that of Keith Arkell. He must have played well over 200 moves in his Friday and Saturday games, was out until the small hours on Saturday night and still had the stamina to share first in the rapidplay on S...