Search found 42 matches

by Philip Adams
Sat Aug 30, 2025 7:17 pm
Forum: For Sale
Topic: BCM bound volumes for sale
Replies: 0
Views: 5977

BCM bound volumes for sale

At 3Cs we need to make space in our club library for new acquisitions. Reluctantly we've decided that this might be best achieved by selling our run of bound volumes of the British Chess Magazine from the early 1950s up to the mid-2000s (some in cloth and some in Cordex binders). If at all intereste...
by Philip Adams
Thu Oct 03, 2024 12:01 am
Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
Topic: GM Zenon Franco Ocampos
Replies: 4
Views: 1291

Re: GM Zenon Franco Ocampos

This news came as a great shock. For over a decade I’ve collaborated with Zenón in translating many of his books from Spanish to English for various publishers. His most recent books have been self-published. I was expecting to receive the proofs of his latest book (about Tony Miles) at any moment. ...
by Philip Adams
Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:58 pm
Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
Topic: IM Michael Basman
Replies: 47
Views: 15409

Re: IM Michael Basman

Mike and I both attended Leeds University in the late 1960s and I got to know him quite well. I visited his flat frequently, to discuss chess, look at games and borrow his copies of Shakhmatny Bulletin and Sahovski Glasnik. I remember those times very fondly. Although Mike was a much stronger player...
by Philip Adams
Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:35 pm
Forum: International News
Topic: 44th Olympiad, Chennai 28 July to 10 August 2022
Replies: 652
Views: 60086

Re: 44th Olympiad, Chennai 28 July to 10 August 2022

Adams seems to have thrown away the win in his game. His opponent's defensive configuration is new to me. R7/P4r2/8/2K2k2/8/8/8/8 w - - 0 1 Usually you would defend by parking the King on g7 or h7 and check the King from the first rank. Look up "Vancura" It was new to me too! In the form of a study...
by Philip Adams
Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:27 am
Forum: Chess Questions
Topic: Unexpected move in the QGD.
Replies: 70
Views: 19761

Re: Unexpected move in the QGD.

The first game I can recall seeing with White deliberately exchanging the light-squared bishops in the Carlsbad, while pursuing the plan of the minority attack, was this one: Reshevsky,Samuel Herman - Myagmarsuren,Lhamsuren [D36] Sousse Interzonal Sousse (1), 1967 1.d4 e6 2.c4 d5 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.cxd5 ex...
by Philip Adams
Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:08 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Recommended chess club website software?
Replies: 11
Views: 3397

Re: Recommended chess club website software?

Many thanks for suggestions so far! To give some idea of what we are seeking, thanks to the wonderful Wayback Machine (Internet archive) you can still see snapshots our old 3Cs website, for instance: https://web-beta.archive.org/web/20071010021922/http://cccs.chess.btinternet.co.uk/ Some of the lin...
by Philip Adams
Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:13 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Recommended chess club website software?
Replies: 11
Views: 3397

Re: Recommended chess club website software?

Many thanks for suggestions so far! To give some idea of what we are seeking, thanks to the wonderful Wayback Machine (Internet archive) you can still see snapshots our old 3Cs website, for instance: https://web-beta.archive.org/web/20071010021922/http://cccs.chess.btinternet.co.uk/ Some of the link...
by Philip Adams
Tue May 30, 2017 9:53 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Recommended chess club website software?
Replies: 11
Views: 3397

Recommended chess club website software?

I'd welcome some advice! My club (3Cs) used to have a perfectly decent website, hosted by BT. Since BT pulled the plug on it some time ago we've somehow managed without one, but we're now thinking that a replacement is long overdue. In the absence so far of a rush of volunteers within our club, I mi...
by Philip Adams
Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:18 pm
Forum: Junior Chess
Topic: Building players up
Replies: 5
Views: 2145

Re: Building players up

There is some good advice, in my opinion anyway, on this and many other junior chess issues at

https://www.utdallas.edu/chess/educatio ... enulty.pdf
by Philip Adams
Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:56 pm
Forum: Chess History
Topic: Rubinstein-Capablanca - San Sebastian 1911
Replies: 11
Views: 4167

Re: Rubinstein-Capablanca - San Sebastian 1911

Well spotted! Now that this is "out of the bag", as it were, I can safely tell you that this was going to be one of the revelations in the forthcoming book by GM Zenón Franco on Rubinstein (in Everyman's "Move by Move" series), which I am currently translating from Spanish. After analysing the tacti...
by Philip Adams
Thu May 21, 2015 1:07 am
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Incremental Time Controls
Replies: 79
Views: 15613

Re: Incremental Time Controls

Many thanks, Stewart and Roger,for your comments and suggestions.
by Philip Adams
Wed May 20, 2015 1:42 am
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Incremental Time Controls
Replies: 79
Views: 15613

Re: Incremental Time Controls

Our local evening league is intending to introduce an (optional) time control with increments next season. Traditionally we have an initial session (30 moves in 1h15) followed by a final session of 20 minutes to finish. I’m very sympathetic to the logic of the Cox-Shaw view (expressed recently at th...
by Philip Adams
Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:50 am
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Learning how to use ChessBase
Replies: 16
Views: 4211

Re: Learning how to use ChessBase

This criticism of Chessbase is very odd: CB12 comes with a 300+ page manual in pdf.
by Philip Adams
Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:56 pm
Forum: Chess History
Topic: Sir George Alan Thomas
Replies: 150
Views: 26812

Re: Sir George Alan Thomas

An interesting topic, but I'm not sure it's such a good idea for anyone to be using chessgames.com as a source of accurate historical information. See for instance this article http://www.chesscafe.com/urcan/urcan54.htm which expresses far better than I could why this website is not listed among my...
by Philip Adams
Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:57 pm
Forum: Chess History
Topic: Sir George Alan Thomas
Replies: 150
Views: 26812

Re: Sir George Alan Thomas

An interesting topic, but I'm not sure it's such a good idea for anyone to be using chessgames.com as a source of accurate historical information. See for instance this article http://www.chesscafe.com/urcan/urcan54.htm which expresses far better than I could why this website is not listed among my ...