Search found 6 matches

by Martin Carpenter
Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:05 pm
Forum: County Championships
Topic: County Championship Finals
Replies: 77
Views: 57515

Re: County Championship Finals

They definitely checked in advance of the match. As to why they were allowed, well it is mildly intriguing but probably only really GM with any true motivation, and even that is a bit weak with no GM open team. I'd actually be tempted to do something like relaxing the rules to let people in a countr...
by Martin Carpenter
Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:49 pm
Forum: 4NCL
Topic: Div 3 North 2016-17
Replies: 284
Views: 45845

Re: Div 3 North 2016-17

Only the one 2600 for Manx today it seems :) (Dietmar on 3, then Ottosen etc.).

Gonzaga seemingly defaulting on 6, so I guess they've given up on promotion for the year.
by Martin Carpenter
Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:18 pm
Forum: 4NCL
Topic: Div 3 North 2016-17
Replies: 284
Views: 45845

Re: Div 3 North 2016-17

Mick Norris wrote:Manx must be the biggest drop between top and bottom half of the team
The whole thing is a bit fascinating :) They do have some decent mid/lower boards not playing, so presume it isn't a straight promotion push.

I heard some talk the GM might simply have been the 6th player they could find......
by Martin Carpenter
Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:20 am
Forum: International News
Topic: 2016 Olympiad - Baku
Replies: 901
Views: 69583

Re: 2016 Olympiad - Baku

Fine for the majority of players that, some? Well...... Waving score sheets at people definitely happens in close matches, although I've never been absolutely convinced of the point. If a draw is enough to seal the match then your opponent should know that too! I'm not sure how many people can effec...
by Martin Carpenter
Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:17 pm
Forum: ECF Matters
Topic: Compulsory Membership?
Replies: 734
Views: 65164

Re: Compulsory Membership?

I've certainly never had trouble with wandering to and fro over the border :) Hopefully the top of the Yorkshire league should be fine, the lower divisions more worrying perhaps. Regarding the local leagues I just checked for York and in the first division 20 out of 70 players (7 teams) seem to play...
by Martin Carpenter
Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:36 pm
Forum: Rating Debate
Topic: New grades (split from Editorial thread)
Replies: 118
Views: 21611

Re: New grades (split from Editorial thread)

Anyone worried about the new grades in general should look at http://grading.bcfservices.org.uk/newgrades.php - lots of useful information including how they're being calculated, where the %iles are moving to etc. It's really very helpful. To go back to the point that Richard Palliser raised earlier...