Search found 5 matches

by David Tebb
Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:48 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Angela Eagle games
Replies: 27
Views: 7485

Re: Angela Eagle games

Very interesting games, David Tebb, many thanks for posting those. Is there any chance that you are in touch with, or know the names of your contemporaries at the time, that might have played them and still have game scores? Would anyone still have the records of the whole tournaments from the 1970...
by David Tebb
Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:22 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Angela Eagle games
Replies: 27
Views: 7485

Re: Angela Eagle games

I played both Eagle sisters on the same day in the Major section of the Liverpool Chess Congress in September 1978. I played Angela in round 3 on Saturday afternoon, managing a draw. Then I had to play against Maria in the evening! The Major section was for grades up to 150. I think the Eagles were ...
by David Tebb
Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:26 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Rules Question
Replies: 35
Views: 5972

Re: Rules Question

I would assume that a player who suddenly gets up when it his move and leaves the room has an urgent need to use the bathroom. He wouldn’t have to say anything to me. In fact I would rather he didn't explain his toilet needs! Why does anyone worry that such a player might be cheating? If someone r...
by David Tebb
Fri May 30, 2008 2:43 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: What time control(s) does your League use?
Replies: 56
Views: 8443

Re: What time control(s) does your League use?

The Merseyside and Wirral Leagues both use a time control of 35 moves in 75 minutes plus 15 minutes for the remaining moves. We used to have adjudications (I was an adjudicator) until about 10 years ago, when we abandoned them for an allegro finish. I think that only a couple of clubs in our leagues...
by David Tebb
Thu May 22, 2008 7:21 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: When is it bad manners to play silly openings?
Replies: 64
Views: 12099

Re: When is it bad manners to play silly openings?

I've just done a trawl through my database and came across a game from the Finnish U18 Championship 1995 that started: 1.Nh3 Na6 2.Na3 Nh6 3.Ng5 Nb4 4.Nb5 Ng4 5.Ne4 Nd5 6.Nd4 Ne5 7.Nc3 Nf6 8.Nf3 Nc6 9.Nb1 Ng8 10.Ng1 Nb8 After 10 moves, the pieces were back on their original squares, except that all ...