Search found 2199 matches

by Angus French
Fri May 01, 2026 7:58 pm
Forum: International News
Topic: FIDE Presidential Election
Replies: 64
Views: 12213

Re: FIDE Presidential Election

NickFaulks wrote: ↑
Thu Apr 30, 2026 2:21 pm
MJMcCready wrote: ↑
Fri Apr 24, 2026 11:29 am
Pein, he's been outspoken about FIDE in the past, which I am sure didn't go down too well.
He was certainly very rude about Makro, but I didn't get the impression from Athens that they were much bothered.
Because they - and others? - don't have much regard for him?
by Angus French
Tue Mar 31, 2026 12:14 am
Forum: International News
Topic: FIDE Open Candidates Tournament Cyprus (28 March to 16 April 2026)
Replies: 188
Views: 35142

Re: FIDE Open Candidates Tournament Cyprus (28 March to 16 April 2026)

Jonathan Rogers wrote: ↑
Tue Mar 31, 2026 12:03 am
Round three then:

Matthias Bluebaum – Andrey Esipenko draw
Praggnanandhaa R – Javokhir Sindarov draw (but fluctuating)
Fabiano Caruana – Wei Yi 1-0
Hikaru Nakamura – Anish Giri draw
1 - 0, all four games.
by Angus French
Sun Mar 22, 2026 7:41 pm
Forum: International News
Topic: FIDE Open Candidates Tournament Cyprus (28 March to 16 April 2026)
Replies: 188
Views: 35142

Re: FIDE Candidates Tournament Cyprus (28 March to 16 April 2026)

Open pairings: FIDE Candidates 2026 pairings Round 1 on 2026/03/29 at 15:30 Javokhir Sindarov – Andrey Esipenko Matthias Bluebaum – Wei Yi Praggnanandhaa R – Anish Giri Fabiano Caruana – Hikaru Nakamura Round 2 on 2026/03/30 at 15:30 Andrey Esipenko – Hikaru Nakamura Anish Giri – Fabiano Caruana We...
by Angus French
Thu Jan 08, 2026 8:56 pm
Forum: International News
Topic: ECF condemns FIDE Congress
Replies: 21
Views: 10752

Re: ECF condemns FIDE Congress

Who within the ECF has taken the decision to proceed? Was it a Board decision? Who was consulted? The very first posting in this thread shows it signed off by Malcolm Pein Director of International Chess and External Relations. Dominic Lawson President Though that's the statement issued not long af...
by Angus French
Thu Jan 08, 2026 7:47 pm
Forum: International News
Topic: ECF condemns FIDE Congress
Replies: 21
Views: 10752

Re: ECF condemns FIDE Congress

... Legal action is now being contemplated... According to the Chessbase article and the (unattributed) statement Lawrence linked to, proceedings have already been instigated: an application has been filed with the Court of Arbitration for Sport. How is the legal action being funded by the ECF? Doe...
by Angus French
Fri Dec 05, 2025 10:47 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Rachel Reeves and Chess
Replies: 208
Views: 66484

Re: Rachel Reeves and Chess

It's not chess-related but will possibly be of interest: a BBC News story about Rachel Reeves and her expense claims at HBOS.
by Angus French
Thu Nov 06, 2025 9:09 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: The UK Parliamentary Chess Club
Replies: 103
Views: 46049

Re: The UK Parliamentary Chess Club

Paul Cooksey wrote: ↑
Thu Nov 06, 2025 8:33 pm
The one in the picture I suppose: https://rating.englishchess.org.uk/play ... de=138233A
Harold Mark Carter? Is that the person front right in both of the photos in Peter's post? I'm guessing it is.
by Angus French
Mon Oct 27, 2025 8:22 pm
Forum: ECF Matters
Topic: ECF AGM 2025
Replies: 24
Views: 9962

Re: ECF AGM 2025

John Reyes wrote: ↑
Mon Oct 27, 2025 5:56 pm
Also i did feel that one person at the meeting was making it all about the past and not about the future of the new commitee
Can I ask, is this is a reference to Nick Faulks, also referred to by Christopher Lewis in his report?
by Angus French
Thu Oct 23, 2025 10:43 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Media comments on chess
Replies: 6636
Views: 1158216

Re: Media comments on chess

Jonathan Arnott wrote: ↑
Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:11 pm
... I wanted to distance myself from what they [UKIP] morphed into...
I see Jonathan is the subject of a piece in the Observer.
by Angus French
Tue Apr 29, 2025 6:35 pm
Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
Topic: Michael Prizant (1945-2025)
Replies: 5
Views: 1947

Re: Michael Prizant (1945-2025)

Sorry to hear that Michael has passed away. We had a number of hard-fought games in the Surrey and Croydon leagues. He was an affable opponent.
by Angus French
Mon Mar 17, 2025 7:30 pm
Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
Topic: John Rety (1930-2010)
Replies: 39
Views: 17517

Re: John Rety (1930-2010)

I got to know John quite well. His poetry anthologies were the private preserve of FOYLES who had the exclusive rights, he told me. He translated Flesch's middlegame Batsford from Hungarian: "took ages" he added. He could be glimpsed at Speakers' Corner (and I even saw him on the box once.) He coul...
by Angus French
Fri Feb 14, 2025 8:19 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: London Review of Books article
Replies: 5
Views: 1867

Re: London Review of Books article

Maybe I am gatekeeping, but I always find chess parent accounts a bit odd. A bit like someone writing a movie review focusing on what the cinema is like rather than the film. I think others - non-competitive players, parents of players... - are allowed their take. I like that Charlie is keen and en...
by Angus French
Wed Feb 12, 2025 9:39 pm
Forum: Not Chess!
Topic: Bands from London
Replies: 30
Views: 13901

Re: Bands from London

In the 80s Manchester was hardly punk orientated Factory Records, the Hacienda, the Smiths I tried to appreciate the Smiths but Morrisey, gladioli in back pocket, put me off. Perhaps a little earlier, the Manchester bands I liked were Joy Division and the Fall. Um, not forgetting the Buzzcocks and ...
by Angus French
Fri Feb 07, 2025 6:34 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Isn't Chess Wonderful?
Replies: 10
Views: 2470

Re: Isn't Chess Wonderful?

Part of what I like about chess is that it brings different people together. Different ages, genders, ethnicities, well off and not so well off...
by Angus French
Mon Feb 03, 2025 1:58 pm
Forum: International News
Topic: Tata Steel 17 Jan - 2 Feb 2025
Replies: 54
Views: 17874

Re: Tata Steel 17 Jan - 2 Feb 2025

I see there was another tie for first in the Challengers - there is a better case for a play-off here than in the top section I would have thought. Failing that, allow both into the top section next year - but the organisers have shown before they aren't happy with that. It kind of makes sense to l...