Search found 6660 matches
- Sun Oct 04, 2026 8:44 am
- Forum: Chess History
- Topic: Rare Chess Olympiad 1982 footage - Kortchnoi v Kasparov epic game
- Replies: 2
- Views: 217
Re: Rare Chess Olympiad 1982 footage - Kortchnoi v Kasparov epic game
Footage was a bit confusing as they showed some bits twice, and out of order. I think I spotted Robert Huebner in the foreground at one point and Quinteros in the background. It also seemed that Kasparov took off his jacket and put on a light sweater at some stage. However, it was good to see the fo...
- Sun Oct 04, 2026 8:39 am
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: Media comments on chess
- Replies: 6645
- Views: 1164368
Re: Media comments on chess
There was some discussion on https://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=3619&p=247267&hilit=Mastermind#p247267 Page 4, I refer to Jerry Asquith, whose subject was life and career of Alekhine, where they only told him how they would pronounce Alekhine, when he was sitting in the studio ready to ...
- Sat Oct 03, 2026 7:29 pm
- Forum: ECF Matters
- Topic: Questions on ECF Team Selection
- Replies: 106
- Views: 9249
Re: Questions on ECF Team Selection
Have you considered what the people who are actually in contention for selection think? Have the selection committee considered what the people who are actually in contention for selection think (and how would we know they had)? I don't know. I'm not in it, and I haven't compiled it. But if we are ...
- Fri Oct 02, 2026 9:19 pm
- Forum: Birthdays & Anniversaries
- Topic: 70th Birthday Greetings GM Jonathan Speelman (02-x-1956)
- Replies: 15
- Views: 447
Re: Jonathan Speelman
Yes, happy birthday.
- Fri Oct 02, 2026 9:15 pm
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: The British Chess Forum
- Replies: 18
- Views: 1340
Re: The British Chess Forum
"I will inform the owners (Stephen Lowe and Shaun Taulbut) of BCM in case they are not aware of what they are promoting."
Please tell us if you find signs of awareness.
Please tell us if you find signs of awareness.
- Fri Oct 02, 2026 9:13 pm
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: Media comments on chess
- Replies: 6645
- Views: 1164368
Re: Media comments on chess
"Thus the complete disinterest I suggested during the Olympiad as to whether Bodhana would become a WGM, although it does keep her in the headlines, which I think is good for English chess more generally. And it allows for easy conversations with non-chess players who have noticed her successes." In...
- Fri Oct 02, 2026 7:56 am
- Forum: ECF Matters
- Topic: Questions on ECF Team Selection
- Replies: 106
- Views: 9249
Re: Questions on ECF Team Selection
Every team selection in every sport I have ever known includes the option for the selector(s), "I don't like him/her, so I'll just pick my mates." But, that doesn't look so good in print.
- Fri Oct 02, 2026 7:43 am
- Forum: International News
- Topic: 2026 Chess Olympiad
- Replies: 655
- Views: 30994
Re: 2026 Chess Olympiad
"It's possible that the Women's Olympiad can be grown in teams to equal the Open Olympiad."
It has grown a lot, but it is possible some women may not feel comfortable in UAE.
It has grown a lot, but it is possible some women may not feel comfortable in UAE.
- Thu Oct 01, 2026 10:02 pm
- Forum: ECF Matters
- Topic: Questions on ECF Team Selection
- Replies: 106
- Views: 9249
Re: Questions on ECF Team Selection
"I don't disagree, in that elite players would prefer to be selected by a committee of their peers"
Er, that's caused problems in the past!
Er, that's caused problems in the past!
- Thu Oct 01, 2026 9:58 pm
- Forum: International News
- Topic: 2026 Chess Olympiad
- Replies: 655
- Views: 30994
Re: 2026 Chess Olympiad
Having finally watched all the closing ceremony video, it got a lot better. India got an award for the best male/female combined score, so the players were summoned. I was extremely unimpressed with the Indian women being shoved off the 1st place platform by their male colleagues, although they are ...
- Thu Oct 01, 2026 2:49 pm
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: Media comments on chess
- Replies: 6645
- Views: 1164368
Re: Media comments on chess
and from the opposite side of the political spectrum... Kasparov assassination threat...
https://www.dailymail.com/news/article- ... urity.html
https://www.dailymail.com/news/article- ... urity.html
- Wed Sep 30, 2026 9:27 pm
- Forum: International News
- Topic: 2026 Chess Olympiad
- Replies: 655
- Views: 30994
Re: 2026 Chess Olympiad
How curious Ah, it was Joseph. A notably unconventional character. I note he has had a few arguments with his federation (nothing wrong with that!). I think if you change a result or suddenly default someone, you need to say why. Otherwise we might just assume it's an arrogant official trying to lo...
- Wed Sep 30, 2026 8:35 am
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: Media comments on chess
- Replies: 6645
- Views: 1164368
Re: Media comments on chess
All sorts of exciting things appear on Youtube... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9a9ZV3cNzs where allegedly Paul Morphy solved a position in a painting. Sadly, I agree with one of the comments that d2 is occupied by the king not the queen, which rather ruins the video! But I found it interesting. ...
- Tue Sep 29, 2026 9:17 pm
- Forum: International News
- Topic: 2026 Chess Olympiad
- Replies: 655
- Views: 30994
Re: 2026 Chess Olympiad
Only 25 minutes in and the announcer has a look of desperation on his face. I hope the bar was open...LawrenceCooper wrote: ↑Sun Sep 27, 2026 7:43 pmClosing ceremony: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVGSdG8u1Do
- Mon Sep 28, 2026 9:56 pm
- Forum: International News
- Topic: FIDE Presidential Election
- Replies: 64
- Views: 12749
Re: FIDE Presidential Election
FIDE elections are just like national elections in a number of countries. Increasingly, people look at the choice and vote for the one they think is less bad!
I'm not sure what Rosenstein was complaining about - isn't it always like that?
I'm not sure what Rosenstein was complaining about - isn't it always like that?