Search found 362 matches
- Mon Sep 14, 2026 4:38 pm
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: The Queen`s Gambit
- Replies: 4
- Views: 838
The Queen`s Gambit
My wife said that when she saw the ratio of men to women in the chess world it made her wish she had played chess in her youth. "All these blokes!" The Queen`s Gambit affected that. I have never seen this Netflix thingie The Queen`s Gambit . Just a few snippets. However, just now I logged on to Twit...
- Sun Sep 06, 2026 6:50 pm
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: Faustino Oro
- Replies: 15
- Views: 6871
Re: Faustino Oro
Yeah, that´s it.
Ballsed up a relatively easy win... and then played like a tosser to lose the last round against a much weaker player.
(Mind you, Oro does mean Gold in Español..)
Ballsed up a relatively easy win... and then played like a tosser to lose the last round against a much weaker player.
(Mind you, Oro does mean Gold in Español..)
- Wed Sep 02, 2026 11:30 pm
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: Faustino Oro
- Replies: 15
- Views: 6871
Re: Faustino Oro
I played him with black in a Rapids event in Beniajan five days ago. Pretty sure his father was with him.
I think the game my be on line some place. I´ll see if I may locate it.
I missed a win in the ending and he hung on to draw.
I think the game my be on line some place. I´ll see if I may locate it.
I missed a win in the ending and he hung on to draw.
- Wed Sep 02, 2026 11:26 pm
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: Unbeaten runs
- Replies: 15
- Views: 1412
Re: Unbeaten runs
53... ended by my loss, with White, to IM Erling Mortensen in Gausdal 1982.
I also had an unbeaten run of 49 which was ended by Sasikiran classically outplaying me in a GM event run by Adam Raoof in Hampstead in the late 1990s. Although I did win the event.
I also had an unbeaten run of 49 which was ended by Sasikiran classically outplaying me in a GM event run by Adam Raoof in Hampstead in the late 1990s. Although I did win the event.
- Wed Sep 02, 2026 11:22 pm
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: Leaving the board without resigning
- Replies: 79
- Views: 4654
Re: Leaving the board without resigning
(In response to C. Kreuzer`s questions about my own norms)
First Paris 1983, with 8/9. (The highest rating performance of all time by a British player which stood until Adams eclipsed it cerca 1992 on a Greek island.)
Second Manchester 1983, 7/9.
Third Jaavenpaa 1985, 7/9.
First Paris 1983, with 8/9. (The highest rating performance of all time by a British player which stood until Adams eclipsed it cerca 1992 on a Greek island.)
Second Manchester 1983, 7/9.
Third Jaavenpaa 1985, 7/9.
- Wed Sep 02, 2026 11:18 pm
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: Leaving the board without resigning
- Replies: 79
- Views: 4654
Re: Leaving the board without resigning
Christopher Kreuzer wrote
https://www.olimpbase.org/players/symimwae.html
That is bizarre behaviour.
Presumably Timothy Upton?
https://www.olimpbase.org/players/symimwae.html
That is bizarre behaviour.
Indeed.
- Sun Aug 30, 2026 2:15 pm
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: Leaving the board without resigning
- Replies: 79
- Views: 4654
Re: Leaving the board without resigning
John McDonald hired me to play for Hampstead in 1991 and I was playing a Scot called Upton (who had I believed represented his country)... and about move thirteen he just got up and left the playing hall.
And did not return to the board.
And did not return to the board.
- Sun Aug 30, 2026 9:13 am
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: Leaving the board without resigning
- Replies: 79
- Views: 4654
Re: Leaving the board without resigning
VERY interesting to learn of Chernaiev´s seconding of Shirov and working as an aide for Karpov. All news to me! Mind you, I`ve played Alex umpteen times over the years... and funny things sometimes happened! https://james-plasketts-coincidence-diary.blogspot.com/2006/03/3-timepieces-stopping-springt...
- Sun Aug 30, 2026 9:05 am
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: Leaving the board without resigning
- Replies: 79
- Views: 4654
Re: Leaving the board without resigning
Doesn´t sound like he ignored the Laws of Chess to me, Kevin. He lost the game.
- Thu Aug 27, 2026 4:06 pm
- Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
- Topic: Len M Pickett
- Replies: 19
- Views: 1825
Re: Len M Pickett
No.
He SANG that to them.
He SANG that to them.
- Thu Aug 27, 2026 1:06 pm
- Forum: Not Chess!
- Topic: Plaskett and Woffinden's book on the "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?" Fraud
- Replies: 264
- Views: 86748
Re: Plaskett and Woffinden's book on the "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?" Fraud
C4 have it, all done and dusted.
Just keep an eye out for its imminent broadcast.
Just keep an eye out for its imminent broadcast.
- Thu Aug 27, 2026 1:04 pm
- Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
- Topic: Len M Pickett
- Replies: 19
- Views: 1825
Re: Len M Pickett
Sting worked as a bus conductor in Newcastle, too.
Only briefly.
Only briefly.
- Sat Aug 22, 2026 8:34 pm
- Forum: Not Chess!
- Topic: Plaskett and Woffinden's book on the "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?" Fraud
- Replies: 264
- Views: 86748
Re: Plaskett and Woffinden's book on the "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?" Fraud
"Everything comes to he who waits" 8) :) How To Rob A Quiz Show is a two-part drama and archive documentary series produced by Stellify Media for the UK broadcaster Channel 4. The production reveals the true story of how two unlikely hustlers formed a sophisticated syndicate to manipulate and make a...
- Wed Aug 19, 2026 9:45 pm
- Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
- Topic: GM Vereslav Eingorn (1956-2026)
- Replies: 2
- Views: 472
Re: GM Vereslav Eingorn (1956-2026)
Sad news. He offered me a draw before our last round game in Bor 1985.. and since that sufficed for his GM title I, of course, agreed. Here´s an episode from my Blog of he being one of a very, very small number of people to fall into a trap in a Pawn ending which his opponent had gleaned from Tim Kr...
- Wed Aug 19, 2026 9:32 pm
- Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
- Topic: Len M Pickett
- Replies: 19
- Views: 1825
Re: Len M Pickett
I met him just once, in the late 1970s perhaps, chez Bob Wade.I told him I had heard he was something of a bridge player.
He eplied, "Yeah. I`m the best."
Bob then mentioned something about a board game Len had invented - something to do with space travel, if memory serves...
He eplied, "Yeah. I`m the best."
Bob then mentioned something about a board game Len had invented - something to do with space travel, if memory serves...