Search found 7 matches

by aharley
Wed Nov 05, 2025 2:02 pm
Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
Topic: Alan Perkins (1949-2025)
Replies: 28
Views: 8885

Re: Alan Perkins (1949-2025)

Alan Perkins' family has informed us that a celebration of Alan's life will be held on Thursday, 13th November at the Actonians Sports Club (Ealing chess club's venue) from 13:00. It will be an informal gathering with a buffet lunch. All chess club members will be most welcome. If you wish to attend...
by aharley
Sun Oct 12, 2025 8:46 pm
Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
Topic: Alan Perkins (1949-2025)
Replies: 28
Views: 8885

Re: Alan Perkins (1949-2025)

John Quinn writes: A question has been asked on the forum about an article Alan wrote for the BCM about an airline chess competition. I have records of playing in 3 of the interline events: Tampa in 82, Mexico City in 84 and Penang in 86. I think Alan was on Bd 1 with myself on Bd 2 in each of them ...
by aharley
Sun Oct 12, 2025 1:47 pm
Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
Topic: Gavin Wall
Replies: 50
Views: 18820

Re: Gavin Wall

Sorry not to join yesterday's wake for Gavin, but here in tribute, is what I think is his last graded win and his penultimate graded game (he drew with GM Jonathan Parker the following week). This game really epitomises what others wrote about Gavin's style of play, especially with Black. I had an a...
by aharley
Sat Oct 11, 2025 9:34 pm
Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
Topic: Alan Perkins (1949-2025)
Replies: 28
Views: 8885

Re: Alan Perkins (1949-2025)

A tribute posted now at https://ealingchess.com/alan-perkins-1949-2025/ including this from John Quinn: I first met Alan when I played against him in the British Championship in 1973. I got to know him better when he joined the department that I worked in at British Airways, a few years later. Post ...
by aharley
Sun Oct 05, 2025 3:04 pm
Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
Topic: Alan Perkins (1949-2025)
Replies: 28
Views: 8885

Re: Alan Perkins (1949-2025)

And here, selected by John Saunders, is a beautiful win by Alan at the age of 18, which was published in Chess Magazine at the time: [Event "Churchill Memorial op 15th"] [Site "Bognor Regis"] [Date "1967.04.07"] [Round "10"] [White "Mihaljcisin, Mihajlo"] [Black "Perkins, Alan H"] [Result "0-1"] [EC...
by aharley
Sun Oct 05, 2025 2:31 pm
Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
Topic: Alan Perkins (1949-2025)
Replies: 28
Views: 8885

Re: Alan Perkins (1949-2025)

Alan was always good at providing a report of his games after our team matches. I have just shared 15 more game scores with John Saunders to add to the collection he shared. Here is one recent highlight, with apologies to Rick, who had beaten him twice the year before, but Alan was still learning an...
by aharley
Fri Oct 03, 2025 2:37 pm
Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
Topic: Alan Perkins (1949-2025)
Replies: 28
Views: 8885

Alan Perkins (1949-2025)

This is to share the sad news that Alan Perkins (1949-2025) has died. Alan, originally from Yorkshire, was one of England's strongest juniors in the 1960's, jointly winning the 1965 British Under-16 Championship. He played for England in the Student Olympiads of 1970 and 1972, and also as an individ...