Search found 3 matches

by Kevin Marchese
Sun Feb 15, 2026 4:51 pm
Forum: Chess History
Topic: 1909 Anglo-American Cable Match
Replies: 4
Views: 3486

Re: 1909 Anglo-American Cable Match

I cannot help with finding a source with annotations, but I think there are points of interest, worth annotating. See suggested moves for Black on moves 25, 27 and 48. Thank you for the suggestions. My goal at this juncture is to provide only annotations from the newspapers and players of the era, ...
by Kevin Marchese
Sun Feb 15, 2026 4:47 pm
Forum: Chess History
Topic: 1909 Anglo-American Cable Match
Replies: 4
Views: 3486

Re: 1909 Anglo-American Cable Match

There is a clue in Hoffer's comment appended to the score of the game in The Field (3 April 1909, page 586): "The game was cautiously played by both players, that is its only feature." The Manchester Evening News, 27 March 1909, mentioned play on each board of the match individually but could only ...
by Kevin Marchese
Sat Feb 14, 2026 12:39 pm
Forum: Chess History
Topic: 1909 Anglo-American Cable Match
Replies: 4
Views: 3486

1909 Anglo-American Cable Match

I am looking for assistance on a rather obscure game. Out of the 128 games played in the Anglo-American cable matches from 1896-1911, the only game of which I cannot find any notes or analysis (from the tabloids of the era) is from the 1909 contest on board # 8 between Harry Holmes (GBR) and Samuel ...