Search found 5 matches

by willcoldwell
Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:41 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Late-starting chess players with grandmaster potential?
Replies: 85
Views: 15343

Re: Late-starting chess players with grandmaster potential?

This lad, Max Deutsch, set himself a challenge that was covered by 'The Wall St Journal.' " With a little over one month of preparations, could I defeat world champion Magnus Carlsen at a game of chess?" https://medium.com/@maxdeutsch/my-month-long-quest-to-become-a-chess-master-from-scratch-51ff80...
by willcoldwell
Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:49 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Late-starting chess players with grandmaster potential?
Replies: 85
Views: 15343

Re: Late-starting chess players with grandmaster potential?

I have heard a few IMs say if you are pretty good and put the hours in, you'll get there. I do believe about 6 years ago a student placed a bet at a bookmakers that he would become a grand master before shacking up with some chinese babe and scooting off there. Do you know any more about this guy!?...
by willcoldwell
Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:34 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Late-starting chess players with grandmaster potential?
Replies: 85
Views: 15343

Re: Late-starting chess players with grandmaster potential?

I have heard a few IMs say if you are pretty good and put the hours in, you'll get there. I do believe about 6 years ago a student placed a bet at a bookmakers that he would become a grand master before shacking up with some chinese babe and scooting off there. Do you know any more about this guy!?
by willcoldwell
Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:33 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Late-starting chess players with grandmaster potential?
Replies: 85
Views: 15343

Re: Late-starting chess players with grandmaster potential?

Thanks for these responses – I'll definitely have a look into these. Jonathan Hawkins sounds like someone definitely worth speaking to – thanks for the tip – I'm wondering if there's someone out there shooting to be "the next Jonathan Hawkins"...!? (Though I do recognise that I may be scouting aroun...
by willcoldwell
Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:37 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Late-starting chess players with grandmaster potential?
Replies: 85
Views: 15343

Late-starting chess players with grandmaster potential?

Hello all, Thank you for having me in this forum. I'm a writer/editor (who has been playing a lot of chess during lockdown!) and have been thinking a lot about late-starting chess players with grandmaster potential. I was wondering if anyone in this forum was aware of players who have started playin...