Search found 604 matches
- Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:36 pm
- Forum: Congress Diary
- Topic: Northumbria Masters
- Replies: 46
- Views: 7788
Re: Northumbria Masters
Entries now at 28/51/25/24/15 So hopefully where Tim would like to see it at. The top section looks really nice (probably the most homogeneous field outside the British or closed events) , and while I would not support all UK events to have a floor, I think that floors do have a place in the UK as t...
- Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:33 pm
- Forum: ECF Matters
- Topic: ECF Membership Reform
- Replies: 168
- Views: 75772
Re: ECF Membership Reform
Because it is the international metric of reference.
You can't measure the impact of policies in vacuum, you need to compare to other countries.
- Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:10 pm
- Forum: International News
- Topic: FIDE Rating Consultation
- Replies: 130
- Views: 16300
Re: FIDE Rating Consultation
I suspect it’s to reduce the scope for manipulating the rating system and with it the title system as one or two countries have done (Myanmar??) Without the limit you can fraudulently create new players with ratings over 2200 who can then play in national championships and help to fraudulently crea...
- Mon Jul 31, 2023 3:04 pm
- Forum: Congress Diary
- Topic: British Championship 2023
- Replies: 339
- Views: 53461
Re: British Championship 2023
It strikes me as a shame that Max was not playing in the championships in any event, . It was really hard for juniors to qualify to the Championship. Basically you had The British Grand Prix : Khoury, Shearsby (he also got a Chess Union invite, like Steve Jones ), Saunders, Stoica Tournament rankin...
- Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:13 am
- Forum: ECF Matters
- Topic: ECF Grand Prix 2022-23
- Replies: 4
- Views: 3982
Re: ECF Grand Prix 2022-23
Does anyone know when the results of the ECF Grand Prix will be published?
I'd email the ECF but I already asked my fair share of question on the British Grand Prix
, so if anyone knows the answer that will save everyone from dealing with another email 
I'd email the ECF but I already asked my fair share of question on the British Grand Prix
- Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:50 am
- Forum: International News
- Topic: FIDE Rating Consultation
- Replies: 130
- Views: 16300
Re: FIDE Rating Consultation
Fantastic read for those interested in these things.
- Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:00 pm
- Forum: Congress Diary
- Topic: British Championship 2023
- Replies: 339
- Views: 53461
Re: British Championship 2023
Thanks. They were not out yet when I looked earlier this evening.
- Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:04 pm
- Forum: Congress Diary
- Topic: British Championship 2023
- Replies: 339
- Views: 53461
Re: British Championship 2023
Does anyone know if one needs to register/confirm attendance and also when are the pairings for round 1 expected to come out?
The organisers must be very busy now so I'd rather not bombard them with questions I'd someone here knows the answers.
The organisers must be very busy now so I'd rather not bombard them with questions I'd someone here knows the answers.
- Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:45 am
- Forum: Congress Diary
- Topic: British Championship 2023
- Replies: 339
- Views: 53461
Re: British Championship 2023
The player's count is important if you are trying to leverage support from councils or get rates from hotels. The French junior championship manage to get cities bidding against each other to host the event (paying around 400k for the right to host) as the event provide 4 thousand people (including ...
- Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:10 pm
- Forum: Junior Chess
- Topic: Congratulations to Freddy Gordon for his FM title
- Replies: 3
- Views: 1423
Re: Congratulations to Freddy Gordon for his FM title
Worth noting the list of the British qualifiers does not show him in the section FM >2300. (Maybe due to the few days timing difference?). He or CS may want to point that out in case he plans to play at the British.
- Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:09 pm
- Forum: Junior Chess
- Topic: Hampshire Megafinal 2023: June 25th
- Replies: 3
- Views: 1016
Re: Hampshire Megafinal 2023: June 25th
81!
That is way more than I would have thought. Good to see that UKCC still brings new players to the chess circuit.
That is way more than I would have thought. Good to see that UKCC still brings new players to the chess circuit.
- Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:51 am
- Forum: Congress Diary
- Topic: London League Congress
- Replies: 3
- Views: 1096
Re: London League Congress
Agreed, she is seed #5 if we look at ECF strength, so not unexpected to see her on board 1.
- Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:14 am
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: Closed events question(s)
- Replies: 4
- Views: 1140
Re: Closed events question(s)
Thank you both.
Asking because over the last couple of months, three players of the 2009-2010 generation passed the 2100 fide mark (one of them breached the 2200 mark too).
Asking because over the last couple of months, three players of the 2009-2010 generation passed the 2100 fide mark (one of them breached the 2200 mark too).
- Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:36 am
- Forum: Congress Diary
- Topic: British Championship 2023
- Replies: 339
- Views: 53461
Re: British Championship 2023
The ECF will also very kindly advance the publication date of the British Grand Prix results (to likely early next week) so that players who qualified to the Championship can make their plans now rather that early July.
- Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:33 pm
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: Closed events question(s)
- Replies: 4
- Views: 1140
Closed events question(s)
I was wondering, at what level do players start looking for (and getting invited to) closed events? Is it 2200+or before?
And in the UK, how does one find these closed events? I couldn't find an easy filter in the ECF calendar (but I am probably trying the wrong way). Or is it purely word of mouth?
And in the UK, how does one find these closed events? I couldn't find an easy filter in the ECF calendar (but I am probably trying the wrong way). Or is it purely word of mouth?