Search found 36 matches

by SeanCoffey
Sat Apr 25, 2026 8:31 pm
Forum: Chess History
Topic: Britbase Updates
Replies: 661
Views: 191383

Re: Britbase Updates

Here is another Tony Miles game: [Event "Simul x36, Cork 1975"] [Site "Cork IRL"] [Date "1975.03.18"] [Round "-"] [White "McCarthy, Patrick"] [Black "Miles, Anthony John"] [Result "1-0"] [BlackTitle "IM"] [BlackElo "2435"] [WhiteNationality "IRL"] [BlackNationality "ENG"] [BlackFideId "403385"] [Ply...
by SeanCoffey
Mon Mar 09, 2026 10:55 pm
Forum: Chess History
Topic: Chess-playing Fellows of Royal Society
Replies: 28
Views: 13819

Re: Chess-playing Fellows of Royal Society

I'm sorry to report that (Professor / Sir) Anthony James Leggett died yesterday, March 8, 2026. https://x.com/BSeradjeh/status/2030861721376567540 https://www.facebook.com/ayushphy/photos/a-great-physicist-has-left-ustony-leggett-the-visionary-condensed-matter-theoris/1551595340303684/ https://memor...
by SeanCoffey
Mon Feb 16, 2026 9:49 pm
Forum: Chess History
Topic: Britbase Updates
Replies: 661
Views: 191383

Re: Britbase Updates

Here is another game from Hastings 1932/33: [Event "Hastings Major B 1932/33"] [Site "Hastings"] [Date "1932.12.31"] [Round "4"] [White "Palmer, Cecil Caythorpe"] [Black "Doyle, James J"] [Result "0-1"] [PlyCount "104"] [ECO "D61"] [Opening "QGD"] [Variation "Orthodox defence, Rubinstein variation"]...
by SeanCoffey
Wed Jan 21, 2026 1:55 am
Forum: Chess History
Topic: Britbase Updates
Replies: 661
Views: 191383

Re: Britbase Updates

[Event "Margate Premier Reserves B"] [Site "Margate"] [Date "1939.04.??"] [Round "?"] [White "Schultz, David Bernard"] [Black "Peters, Arthur John"] [Result "0-1"] [PlyCount "75"] [ECO "A15"] [Opening "English opening"] [EventDate "1939.04.12"] [EventType "tourn"] [EventRounds "11"] 1. c4 Nf6 2. Nf...
by SeanCoffey
Sun Sep 28, 2025 4:22 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Fischer Number
Replies: 167
Views: 1170949

Re: Fischer Number

I played both Bob Wade and Sir Stuart Milner-Barry; which is my better route? (I beat them too, despite their considerable age advantage). Both were 3, so you get a 4 either way. TH Tylor 0-1 Lasker, Nottingham 1936 PS Milner-Barry 1-0 TH Tylor, Margate 1937 (and at least three other games) TH Tylo...
by SeanCoffey
Sun Sep 28, 2025 3:58 am
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Fischer Number
Replies: 167
Views: 1170949

Re: Fischer Number

My latest FT column includes some more information on this subject....... https://www.ft.com/content/82adc940-7e1d-45ec-87f2-1856b542f118 This is simply incredible! I had thought of this topic on and off for years, and had debated when to post it. Now (although I can't see the FT article directly, ...
by SeanCoffey
Sat Sep 27, 2025 11:37 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Fischer Number
Replies: 167
Views: 1170949

Re: Fischer Number

Christopher was right - Leonard Barden played Jacques Mieses in the Hastings Premier Reserves 1948/49 (Leonard's first important tournament, Mieses' final one). Mieses played Steinitz at Hastings 1895. Both games were drawn. Yes, indeed: well done. Though the game itself is not available, a photo o...
by SeanCoffey
Sat Sep 27, 2025 7:48 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Fischer Number
Replies: 167
Views: 1170949

Re: Fischer Number

Here is a puzzle related to this theme. I think it's quite easy, but (to me) it's interesting and worth pointing out. William Steinitz died on August 12, 1900, so 125 years ago last month. Clearly, nobody living could have played him. But is there any living person who played someone who played him ...
by SeanCoffey
Tue Apr 22, 2025 5:31 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: English Ratings in PGN Files
Replies: 3
Views: 2030

Re: English Ratings in PGN Files

I use {...BCF} and [...ECF] occasionally, and have also used [...SCO]; I use [...ICU] and [...UCU] (for Irish Chess Union and Ulster Chess Union) often. I don't know of any best practice. I agree that the [...Elo] tag is used for all sorts of non-FIDE ratings. National ratings are one example, but I...
by SeanCoffey
Sat May 25, 2024 4:59 am
Forum: Chess History
Topic: Full Names of 1950s Players (1956 BCF Grading List)
Replies: 193
Views: 42202

Re: Full Names of 1950s Players (1956 BCF Grading List)

N. Lewis (Birmingham) 5a: middle initial E., played in the Glorney Cups of 1954, 1955, and 1956. I seem to have concluded his first name was Neil (https://www.irlchess.com/2021/10/24/glorney-cup-1956/) but now I see that I did not include a reference on that point, and can't seem to find one in my n...
by SeanCoffey
Sat May 04, 2024 8:26 pm
Forum: Chess History
Topic: Irish Champions who played in England.
Replies: 23
Views: 3455

Re: Irish Champions who played in England.

Via the British Newspaper Archive, the Spalding Guardian, October 30, 1970 p. 27, gives results of the 5th (Spalding?) Congress (1st-3rd Kurajica, Gasic, Eley), and mentions "V. Innes-Reid (Manchester)" as winning a grading prize in the under 130 category (with 4/6).
by SeanCoffey
Thu May 02, 2024 5:10 am
Forum: Chess History
Topic: Irish Champions who played in England.
Replies: 23
Views: 3455

Re: Irish Champions who played in England.

Hugh MacGrillen (Irish champion 1973) played for Mushrooms ("we had no permanent home but popped up everywhere") in the London league in 1972 at least (https://www.icu.ie/articles/54). Did Brian Reilly (Irish champion 1959, 1960) play club chess? I have no record of him doing so. John Moles (1966, 1...
by SeanCoffey
Sat Aug 19, 2023 4:50 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Arbitration question
Replies: 388
Views: 67991

Re: Arbitration question

From the latest FIDE Laws of Chess: "6.7 Default time: 6.7.1 The regulations of an event shall specify a default time in advance. If the default time is not specified, then it is zero. Any player who arrives at the chessboard after the default time shall lose the game unless the arbiter decides othe...
by SeanCoffey
Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:59 pm
Forum: International News
Topic: FIDE Rating Consultation
Replies: 130
Views: 16665

Re: FIDE Rating Consultation

Also from Elo: "Pressures to revise rating processes, to delay declines and to accelerate rises, are natural and never-ending, often arising in high places, often very well intentioned. Specific proposals abound, to raise ratings through processes other than improved chess play. Unsophisticated prop...
by SeanCoffey
Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:28 pm
Forum: International News
Topic: FIDE Rating Consultation
Replies: 130
Views: 16665

Re: FIDE Rating Consultation

... I thought I had seen the quote in the rating of chess players past&present. In my version it (or a comparable version of it) is in section 2.53 in the section on reliability of the ratings on pages 40-43. “In ratings, we are measuring a quantity undergoing continual change from day to day, even...