Search found 107 matches

by Ingrid Ives
Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:24 am
Forum: Chess History
Topic: Chess and Women
Replies: 1
Views: 1127

Re: Chess and Women

John, thanks for sharing these. As you know, my mother was playing in congresses in the 1950s so this is a topic of particular interest to me. Only yesterday I posted on the thread John Saunders started about my father, regarding a column heading about my mother in the Bradford Observer which read: ...
by Ingrid Ives
Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:22 pm
Forum: Chess History
Topic: Ronnie Ives and the Yorkshire Evening Post Chess Column
Replies: 12
Views: 3119

Re: Ronnie Ives and the Yorkshire Evening Post Chess Column

I have just noticed all the additional material posted here by John Saunders since the last time I looked ->https://www.saund.co.uk/britbase/pgn/ivesr-viewer.html#yep Thank you very much, John. I can't help finding this headline in a Bradford Observer column amusing: "Dutch Woman Loses at Yorks Ches...
by Ingrid Ives
Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:52 pm
Forum: Chess History
Topic: Ronnie Ives and the Yorkshire Evening Post Chess Column
Replies: 12
Views: 3119

Re: Ronnie Ives and the Yorkshire Evening Post Chess Column

And so the phrase “a busman’s holiday” can legitimately be traced back to your youth. I love this story!
by Ingrid Ives
Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:30 pm
Forum: Chess History
Topic: Ronnie Ives and the Yorkshire Evening Post Chess Column
Replies: 12
Views: 3119

Re: Ronnie Ives and the Yorkshire Evening Post Chess Column

Haha Nick 😂 Was your dad also a chess player? Must have been hard for the husbands to get the wives involved with so few women playing in those days.
by Ingrid Ives
Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:43 pm
Forum: Chess History
Topic: Ronnie Ives and the Yorkshire Evening Post Chess Column
Replies: 12
Views: 3119

Re: Ronnie Ives and the Yorkshire Evening Post Chess Column

A bit off-topic, but here is a page from their wedding album - Valentine's Day 1948. It sets the scene with regard to the fashion of the times and the fact that post-war, austerity was the order of the day and clothing was still rationed, including their wedding and honeymoon outfits. Obviously in t...
by Ingrid Ives
Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:51 pm
Forum: Chess History
Topic: Ronnie Ives and the Yorkshire Evening Post Chess Column
Replies: 12
Views: 3119

Re: Ronnie Ives and the Yorkshire Evening Post Chess Column

John, I have thanked you privately and would now like to thank you publicly for all you have achieved with this project. I know you have been working into the small hours to scan and date these columns, which often involved solving the weekly puzzle to locate the next column, as many of them were no...
by Ingrid Ives
Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:45 pm
Forum: Chess History
Topic: Ronald (Ronnie) Wilson Ives, Yorkshire Chess
Replies: 136
Views: 23796

Re: Ronald (Ronnie) Wilson Ives, Yorkshire Chess

Gerard, thank you for this. Every piece of information is interesting and valued to me, especially when my dad was winning. :wink: It seems from the Stanley Wilkinson tribute that he was a modest type so better late than never to trumpet his wins as far as I'm concerned!
by Ingrid Ives
Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:54 pm
Forum: Women's Chess
Topic: Jacoba ('Cobie') Ives - First Woman to Play for Yorkshire County
Replies: 23
Views: 13780

Re: Jacoba ('Cobie') Ives - First Woman to Play for Yorkshire County

For anyone interested, there is an article on both my late parents, Ronnie and Cobie Ives, in the July 2023 issue of Chess Magazine. https://chess.co.uk/collections/chess-magazine/products/chess-magazine-july-2023 I co-authored the article with John Saunders. There is also a thread in the Chess Hist...
by Ingrid Ives
Sun Jul 30, 2023 7:54 pm
Forum: Chess History
Topic: Ronald (Ronnie) Wilson Ives, Yorkshire Chess
Replies: 136
Views: 23796

Re: Ronald (Ronnie) Wilson Ives, Yorkshire Chess

Thanks Gerard, I read the interview. How absolutely fascinating. Even as a non-chess player, I can see how easy it would be to want to become a chess historian. One piece of information leads to another..... and so many of these people who were my father's chess contemporaries seem to have led, or g...
by Ingrid Ives
Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:50 pm
Forum: Chess History
Topic: Ronald (Ronnie) Wilson Ives, Yorkshire Chess
Replies: 136
Views: 23796

Re: Ronald (Ronnie) Wilson Ives, Yorkshire Chess

An example of Ronnie Ives play: [Event "Yorkshire Championship"] [Site "?"] [Date "1958.??.??"] [Round "Semi-final"] [White "Petkevitch, B."] [Black "Ives, Ronald Wilson"] [Result "0-1"] [ECO "B23"] [Opening "Sicilian: closed (2...Nc6)"] 1. e4 c5 2. Nc3 Nc6 3. Nf3 Nf6 4. Be2 d6 5. O-O g6 6. d3 Bg7 ...
by Ingrid Ives
Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:55 pm
Forum: Chess History
Topic: Britbase Updates
Replies: 661
Views: 191323

Re: Britbase Updates

John, whilst having absolutely no idea what the Elephant Gambit is, nor any idea of the significance of anything my father wrote in his YEP column, I am just glad that it is being shared here and subsequently to be shared on Britbase. It means a lot to my family and it would have meant a lot to my p...
by Ingrid Ives
Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:22 pm
Forum: Chess History
Topic: Hans Peter Rickman
Replies: 4
Views: 1138

Re: Hans Peter Rickman

I remembered the name from when I was posting here about my father, Ronnie Ives, so I had a quick look on my thread and found the attached. Dr Rickman is mentioned in the Woodhouse Cup score tables at the bottom. Would this be 1958 or 1959? Anyway, my father was a contemporary of his and also playin...
by Ingrid Ives
Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:58 am
Forum: Chess History
Topic: Ronald (Ronnie) Wilson Ives, Yorkshire Chess
Replies: 136
Views: 23796

Re: Ronald (Ronnie) Wilson Ives, Yorkshire Chess

A quick update for anyone who has contributed to, or has been following this thread and the thread on my mother, Cobie Ives in the Women's Chess section. John Saunders and I have co-authored an article to appear in the July issue of 'Chess' magazine: https://twitter.com/CHESS_Magazine/status/1672173...
by Ingrid Ives
Mon May 15, 2023 6:24 pm
Forum: Chess History
Topic: Ronald (Ronnie) Wilson Ives, Yorkshire Chess
Replies: 136
Views: 23796

Re: Ronald (Ronnie) Wilson Ives, Yorkshire Chess

Leonard, on behalf of myself and my sisters, thank you very much indeed for your long and thoughtful post. When Ronnie died, I was only three years old and my sisters were aged only five and seven so it’s very special for us to be talking to people who knew him or knew of him though chess, which he ...
by Ingrid Ives
Fri May 12, 2023 6:44 pm
Forum: Chess History
Topic: Ronald (Ronnie) Wilson Ives, Yorkshire Chess
Replies: 136
Views: 23796

Re: Ronald (Ronnie) Wilson Ives, Yorkshire Chess

John, thank you so much for unearthing these obituaries which I don't recall ever seeing before you located them. I would think that Mum was too distraught to have looked for them or saved them. Alex Schofield from the Wakefield Club, who wrote one of the obituaries, was one of Dad's closest friends...