Search found 185 matches

by Peter Ackley
Wed Aug 26, 2026 2:59 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Leaving the board without resigning
Replies: 79
Views: 4664

Re: Leaving the board without resigning

Slightly off topic - but I know of someone else, who I had thrown out of the playing area when they provided advice to their partner who was playing against me. Also on other occasions, I had witnessed the same person storm out when losing and leave their opponent waiting for the clock run down, an...
by Peter Ackley
Wed Aug 26, 2026 2:57 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Leaving the board without resigning
Replies: 79
Views: 4664

Re: Leaving the board without resigning

In a local league match a player attempted to consume KP Nuts at the board. His opponent picked up the packet and threw it into the corridor next to the playing room. The two players departed to the corridor and we found the thrower with their hands around the neck of the peanut consumer. The pair ...
by Peter Ackley
Wed Aug 26, 2026 1:52 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Leaving the board without resigning
Replies: 79
Views: 4664

Re: Leaving the board without resigning

Might as well just ban him for life. Obviously just an irredeemable case. It's not always the child's fault fully. Again last millennium I played against a junior who, before the game, was told by his father to manage his time better and to make x moves in y minutes. Which he did - exactly. x-1 ins...
by Peter Ackley
Wed Aug 26, 2026 12:30 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Leaving the board without resigning
Replies: 79
Views: 4664

Re: Leaving the board without resigning

I was a victim of this scenario back last millennium (always wanted to say that!). My opponent blundered in a won position and... vanished. I was dependent on a lift home. Can't remember if it was a parent or a long-finished player but they didn't want to wait - 30 minutes having already passed - an...
by Peter Ackley
Mon Aug 03, 2026 9:34 am
Forum: 4NCL
Topic: 4NCL 2025-26 Division Two
Replies: 100
Views: 18796

Re: 4NCL 2025-26 Division Two

I just think it can actually be done if the 1st division 4NCL captains agree to let them compete as they wish to next season. What can go wrong if the league allows captains to agree to ignore the rules? Well... As this is a critique of your recommendation I'll use the hypothetical Team A. Team A i...
by Peter Ackley
Sun Aug 02, 2026 9:04 pm
Forum: 4NCL
Topic: 4NCL 2025-26 Division Two
Replies: 100
Views: 18796

Re: 4NCL 2025-26 Division Two

Peter Ackley - Your post is most bizarre to put it frankly. The incident at Newark was over 2 years ago now, and I got defaulted in the county final for walking into the town centre for 50 minutes (losing time) when I was previously up on the clock to look round a town I had never been to before. T...
by Peter Ackley
Sun Aug 02, 2026 12:13 pm
Forum: 4NCL
Topic: 4NCL 2025-26 Division Two
Replies: 100
Views: 18796

Re: 4NCL 2025-26 Division Two

Chris (Briscoe) - are you seriously suggesting that the solution to the problem with the rules of chess is that the 4NCL allows teams to come to handshake agreements? You're an experienced player and organiser - can you not see the issues (hint: look at the bigger picture). This is like your "walkin...
by Peter Ackley
Wed Jun 24, 2026 10:10 am
Forum: Not Chess!
Topic: God is SO back (popular phrase) idea re: asking Him to remedy our world crisis
Replies: 28
Views: 7742

Re: God is SO back (popular phrase) idea re: asking Him to remedy our world crisis

There's a reason why so few people at maximum have ever viewed this ECF Forum, it seems = either too much arrogance, officiousness or possibly even under-education, or lack of desire to do much research independently at all in our spoon-fed era, even by so-called investigative journalists in many p...
by Peter Ackley
Tue Jun 23, 2026 8:30 pm
Forum: Not Chess!
Topic: God is SO back (popular phrase) idea re: asking Him to remedy our world crisis
Replies: 28
Views: 7742

Re: God is SO back (popular phrase) idea re: asking Him to remedy our world crisis

I admire Carl's patience and tolerance in allowing this thread to continue. I suppose there is freedom of speech, the fact that the whilst the post (to me) appears difficult to comprehend it's not offensive. It's one person's opinion, not being explained in a way that a layperson can easily follow....
by Peter Ackley
Tue Jun 23, 2026 7:47 pm
Forum: Not Chess!
Topic: God is SO back (popular phrase) idea re: asking Him to remedy our world crisis
Replies: 28
Views: 7742

Re: God is SO back (popular phrase) idea re: asking Him to remedy our world crisis

MJMcCready wrote: ↑
Tue Jun 23, 2026 10:40 am
What the blazes is this all about?
I wonder if this is going to be one of those rare occurrences where, despite the frequent discord on the forum, 99% of members become united in wondering what the hell one bloke is on about.
by Peter Ackley
Fri May 22, 2026 2:33 pm
Forum: ECF Matters
Topic: £
Replies: 21
Views: 4190

Re: £

I think Joey oversimplifies many factors in organising an event. 1. Don't bother with free/reduced rates or appearance fees- it's a Weekender with no norm opportunities which is the only reason to financially incentivise masters to play. Some tournaments do that. Those that offer discounts do so be...
by Peter Ackley
Mon May 18, 2026 4:04 pm
Forum: ECF Matters
Topic: £
Replies: 21
Views: 4190

Re: £

The British always seems reasonably well funded for a national competition, it's the weekenders with £100-200 prizes that are really stuck in the past especially now the costs of an average player more or less guarantees a financial loss whether you win a prize or not. I'm sure I posted on this bef...
by Peter Ackley
Thu Jan 29, 2026 12:27 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Team selection
Replies: 46
Views: 13024

Re: Team selection

Having been a captain on-and-off it's not always that easy: -who is available? -are players needed for other reasons (eg driving)? -which players perform well as a team? -do players have any special requests or requirements? Theoretically a 1st team should always be the strongest (available) players...
by Peter Ackley
Sat Jan 17, 2026 8:48 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Arbiter Question
Replies: 31
Views: 11168

Re: Arbiter Question

Sometimes intervention in other games is required. At Yorkshire-Greater Manchester, U2050, last season when looking at the board next to me I noticed that there was a discrepancy in clock times (total) between my board and theirs. Even taking into account increments and different numbers of moves pl...
by Peter Ackley
Wed Jan 14, 2026 3:00 pm
Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
Topic: Janos "George" Wagenbach (1936-2026)
Replies: 20
Views: 9266

Janos "George" Wagenbach (1936-2026)

Sadly I must report the passing of Janos Wagenbach last night. Janos was a stalwart of Mansfield chess club and of the Nottinghamshire chess scene. Although not a elite-strength player Janos was, in the past, a frequent participant on the congress scene, winning many a grading-limited section. Even ...