Search found 7 matches
- Tue Sep 16, 2025 8:48 pm
- Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
- Topic: Chris Shephard (1951-2025)
- Replies: 19
- Views: 6300
Re: Chris Shephard (1951-1925)
I was very saddened to hear that Chris has died. In 1978, when I was 15, I played Chris in a Staffordshire v Yorkshire County match. Coming back to chess in 1997, his name came up again when I joined South Birmingham Chess Club and learned that he had been one of their strongest players before leavi...
- Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:56 am
- Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
- Topic: Phil Holt
- Replies: 9
- Views: 4034
Re: Phil Holt
So very sorry to hear this news and my deepest condolences to Phil's family and friends. I played Phil a number of times over the last 25 years. He was one of those players whose moves I found hard to predict! I always though Phil was a naturally strong player who had the potential to be much strong...
- Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:28 pm
- Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
- Topic: IM Michael Basman
- Replies: 47
- Views: 15464
Re: IM Michael Basman
Very sorry to hear this news. As a keen junior player in the 1970s, Mike's audio cassettes were good and entertaining input. He also provided a service where you could send him your own games and a tape would come back with his thoughts and advice. It was the first input that I had received from a t...
- Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:59 am
- Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
- Topic: David W Anderton
- Replies: 45
- Views: 10679
Re: David W Anderton
So sad to hear this news. I played David a number of times over the years and always enjoyed talking to him afterwards. He did so much for chess in this country and will be sadly missed.
My thoughts are with his family and close friends.
My thoughts are with his family and close friends.
- Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:32 pm
- Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
- Topic: Julian Farrand
- Replies: 25
- Views: 11702
Re: Julian Farrand
Very sad to hear this news. As a teenager playing in north west congresses in the late 70s, I played Julian on a couple of occasions. He was always warm, friendly and encouraging.
My condolences to Julian's family.
RIP Julian.
My condolences to Julian's family.
RIP Julian.
- Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:04 pm
- Forum: For Sale
- Topic: Book for sale
- Replies: 1
- Views: 7425
Re: Book for sale
Hi Hugh
I'll take the Kasparov books. I'm at 4ncl this weekend coming so could collect then?
John Pitcher [email protected]
I'll take the Kasparov books. I'm at 4ncl this weekend coming so could collect then?
John Pitcher [email protected]
- Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:37 pm
- Forum: Chess History
- Topic: Ian Wells memories
- Replies: 11
- Views: 6196
Re: Ian Wells memories
A lovely article. I knew Ian in the 1970s as we both played in the north west congresses. I remember him as modest, thoughtful and friendly - a really lovely lad. We both played in the BCF at Chester in 1979; he in the Championship and I in the Major Open. We then both went to the Under 16 tournamen...