Advice for running a chess tournament
-
Laurie Roberts
- Posts: 172
- Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 5:16 pm
Advice for running a chess tournament
I help run a chess league and have a reasonable feel for what helps a league to run OK; but I'm much less familiar with the organisation of tournaments.
There are a number of people on here who have talked about the great organisation of e2-e4 tournaments. I think it'd be useful if there was a list of "top tips to running a successful tournament". I have views as a player, but I know little from the admin side. Could anyone list the things they think help make a tournament run smoothly?
There are a number of people on here who have talked about the great organisation of e2-e4 tournaments. I think it'd be useful if there was a list of "top tips to running a successful tournament". I have views as a player, but I know little from the admin side. Could anyone list the things they think help make a tournament run smoothly?
-
Alex McFarlane
- Posts: 1864
- Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:52 pm
Re: Advice for running a chess tournament
In fear of sounding like Matthew Turner, go to www.ChessScotland.com and then to the CS info page and download Guide for Tournament Organisers. This can be found on the right hand side well down the page. It gives a lot of useful advice.
-
James Pratt
- Posts: 730
- Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:10 pm
Re: Advice for running a chess tournament
The most important thing in chess organisation is to train a deputy otherwise ... one goes, it all falls apart!
-
Andrew Camp
- Posts: 508
- Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 11:18 am
- Location: Colwyn Bay
Re: Advice for running a chess tournament
When forced into giving someone a bye, always look for the person who has travelled the furthest and therefore likely to have spent the most to take part.

Chairman of North Wales Junior Chess Association
[email protected]
[email protected]
-
Alex Holowczak
- Posts: 9326
- Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:18 pm
- Location: Oldbury, Worcestershire
- Contact:
Re: Advice for running a chess tournament
That document is very good.Alex McFarlane wrote:In fear of sounding like Matthew Turner, go to http://www.ChessScotland.com and then to the CS info page and download Guide for Tournament Organisers. This can be found on the right hand side well down the page. It gives a lot of useful advice.
-
Michael Jones
- Posts: 642
- Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:37 pm
Re: Advice for running a chess tournament
Or, if you find a group of people who have all travelled from the same place, pair them against each other as much as possible.Andrew Camp wrote:When forced into giving someone a bye, always look for the person who has travelled the furthest and therefore likely to have spent the most to take part.
![]()
![]()
-
Sean Hewitt
Re: Advice for running a chess tournament
The first thing to do is decide why you are running an event, and who your target audience is. That will make further decisions easier to make as you can always keep these things in mind.
-
Alex Holowczak
- Posts: 9326
- Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:18 pm
- Location: Oldbury, Worcestershire
- Contact:
Re: Advice for running a chess tournament
I fear the usual answer to this question would be that you got roped into it at the last <chessorganisation> meeting.Sean Hewitt wrote:The first thing to do is decide why you are running an event
-
Sean Hewitt
Re: Advice for running a chess tournament
Alex - I mean why is the event being run.Alex Holowczak wrote:I fear the usual answer to this question would be that you got roped into it at the last <chessorganisation> meeting.Sean Hewitt wrote:The first thing to do is decide why you are running an event
-
Alex Holowczak
- Posts: 9326
- Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:18 pm
- Location: Oldbury, Worcestershire
- Contact:
Re: Advice for running a chess tournament
I fear the answer to that question might be "To raise money for <chessorganisation>".Sean Hewitt wrote:Alex - I mean why is the event being run.
But I take your point.
-
Laurie Roberts
- Posts: 172
- Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 5:16 pm
Re: Advice for running a chess tournament
thanks everyone
-
Stewart Reuben
- Posts: 4566
- Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:04 pm
- Location: writer
Re: Advice for running a chess tournament
In fear of sonding like myself, try 'Chess Organiser's Handbook'. It doesn't matter which edition. The section on this topic has not changed.
Stewart Reuben
Stewart Reuben