Games played in Scotland

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Ernie Lazenby

Games played in Scotland

Post by Ernie Lazenby » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:40 am

Can some please explain the proceedure for getting games played in a scottish congress graded by the ECF.
I am a silver member. I am minded to play in the forthcoming Edinburgh congress provided the games I play get graded.. My wife, for some reason best known to her, :roll: wants to see the royal yacht which is apparently right next to the playing venue.

Roger de Coverly

Re: Games played in Scotland

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:45 am

Ernie Lazenby wrote: I am a silver member. I am minded to play in the forthcoming Edinburgh congress provided the games I play get graded..
Assuming it applies to Silver members:-
(a) you tell the ECF about your intention to play before the event.
(b) you fill in a form after the event giving your opponents, their ECF grades, if any and the International or Scottish Elo ratings (probably the Scottish ones if it's not FIDE rated).

The form and explanation are on the ECF's grading pages somewhere.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:46 am

Ernie Lazenby wrote:Can some please explain the proceedure for getting games played in a scottish congress graded by the ECF.
I am a silver member. I am minded to play in the forthcoming Edinburgh congress provided the games I play get graded.. My wife, for some reason best known to her, :roll: wants to see the royal yacht which is apparently right next to the playing venue.
http://www.englishchess.org.uk/grading/ ... ed-abroad/

For Gold and above ECF members only – games are accepted from ECF members played outside England. Members must give prior notice (before the event takes place, to [email protected]) of their intention to submit results in this way (see details on the submission form). Results must be sent within one month of the end of the event.

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:53 am

What happens if I don't send results in within one month?

If I do poorly, does that mean I don't send the results in at all?
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:10 am

Adam Raoof wrote:What happens if I don't send results in within one month?

If that happens, the event will still get graded but you won't be able to submit further foreign events.

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:18 am

Sean Hewitt wrote:

If that happens, the event will still get graded but you won't be able to submit further foreign events.
Thanks Sean!
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Ken Norman

Post by Ken Norman » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:39 pm

Rather than have all this bureaucratic nonsense surely it would be more sensible if all the results of English players that are included on the FIDE rating list were automatically added to the players ECF grading.

Andrew Camp

Post by Andrew Camp » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:06 pm

Ken Norman wrote:Rather than have all this bureaucratic nonsense surely it would be more sensible if all the results of English players that are included on the FIDE rating list were automatically added to the players ECF grading.
Ah but where would be the fun in that?
Chairman of North Wales Junior Chess Association
[email protected]

Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:09 pm

Its not a problem for me I can afford it but it has cost me another £9 to uprate my silver membership to gold as per Seans e mail to me. No complaints thats what we have to do but a question;

What happens to chess Scotland players playing in ECF events? Do they have to pay anything?

BTW £9 is a small price to pay to keep the wife of 45 years happy! :lol:
Last edited by Ernie Lazenby on Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:13 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:

I thought you had to pre-notify and if you didn't pre-notify then the results were not accepted? I also thought that if you didn't pre-notify (e.g. if you didn't want foreign events included) then the results were not included, but you remained free to pre-notify in the future? Is the ban from future submissions only if you pre-notify and then try and evade the grading by not sending in the results? I don't see that stated anywhere on the ECF site. (It is a reasonable response, but should be made clear in the documentation.)

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:17 pm

Ernie Lazenby wrote:What happens to chess Scotland players playing in ECF events? Do they have to pay anything?
Only if their wallet is attacked with a crowbar

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:25 pm

David Robertson wrote:
Ernie Lazenby wrote:What happens to chess Scotland players playing in ECF events? Do they have to pay anything?
Only if their wallet is attacked with a crowbar
:lol: :lol: :lol:

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:49 pm

Ernie,
What David & Sean are not telling you is that any sensible Scot coming to an English event keeps his wallet in his sporran, which is then worn inside - not outside as tradition dictates - his kilt under a pair of tartan trews. Physically painful but essential to avoid a greater financial pain.
John

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:03 pm

Ernie Lazenby wrote: What happens to chess Scotland players playing in ECF events? Do they have to pay anything?
If they want their English results included in their Scottish rating, I believe they have to be members of Chess Scotland. The Congress organiser will be charged £ 6 for their participation in an English event, unless they are either also an ECF Silver member or they are playing in a FIDE rated event. Usually this is expressed as an addition to the entry fee for non-ECF members or as a discount for Silver members.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:06 pm

Should we mention the referendum on Scottish independence??